Bullnose Forums

4x4 shifter handle dimensions

Does my '87 count?

I just glued it back on when I blew my rear end up, but I'm sure it will come off w/ heat.

I'm sure it's probably the same, but don't unglue it on my account. I was only asking if someone knew off-hand so that I wouldn't have to go through the ordeal of removing my own! I'll check the ol' warehouse and see if I have a spare in a pile somewhere. I'll report it back here if I find one just so it's written down somewhere.

I'm sure it's probably the same, but don't unglue it on my account. I was only asking if someone knew off-hand so that I wouldn't have to go through the ordeal of removing my own! I'll check the ol' warehouse and see if I have a spare in a pile somewhere. I'll report it back here if I find one just so it's written down somewhere.

I have a torch... and a caliper.

I just got back up, so I need something to do with myself. 🙄

I'm pretty sure I count 48 splines, but my eyes aren't so good anymore..

Thanks, man! Those splines are way smaller and more numerous that I remembered! I'm looking into making a custom shifter knob and I'd rather see if I can source new materials like splined collars rather than take apart an existing part.

Thanks, man! Those splines are way smaller and more numerous that I remembered! I'm looking into making a custom shifter knob and I'd rather see if I can source new materials like splined collars rather than take apart an existing part.

IDK how much it helps, but I try... 😄

What kind of "custom"?

Shaun, Salans7 has just documented a '70's 4x4 shift in his truck.

Otherwise I would suggest molding the knob to the splines with steel filled epoxy (like JB Weld.)

Just spray the stick with Teflon dri-lube or even Pam cooking spray...

Not sure if this is helpful but I had the same exact setup on my 85 F250 HD truck “Big Red” and I tried to find a knob that worked for a long time. Got tired of searching. Found an old piece of walnut that I turned myself an handle out of. I just drilled a hole in the knob close to the spline diameter and hammered it on there.

Capture.thumb.jpg.8006adec814cbe38a81619e38ce7ca2d.jpg

Not sure if this is helpful but I had the same exact setup on my 85 F250 HD truck “Big Red” and I tried to find a knob that worked for a long time. Got tired of searching. Found an old piece of walnut that I turned myself an handle out of. I just drilled a hole in the knob close to the spline diameter and hammered it on there.

My T-19 knob was Padouk...

It fit with the interior. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

IDK how much it helps, but I try... 😄

What kind of "custom"?

Shaun, Salans7 has just documented a '70's 4x4 shift in his truck.

Otherwise I would suggest molding the knob to the splines with steel filled epoxy (like JB Weld.)

Just spray the stick with Teflon dri-lube or even Pam cooking spray...

I do a lot of woodworking, and my wife is just learning to do leatherwork. She likes doing custom car stuff, but only small things at a time. I was thinking about doing a small project together of something with polished burl wood and some of this new leather she got that looks really good. It's just in the idea stage for now, but I'll be sure to post it if/when it happens!