Bullnose Forums

1986 Ford F250 302 EFI Delete

Phillip G.

I guess so Gary. Just another reason to go back all mechanical and older ignition system with this hack mess. Thanks for letting me know that '82 was a 400cid. I've been a '67 thru '71 Ford truck guy for 42 years. Anymore, I get the later years mixed up. But, I'm here to learn the Bullnose trucks.

The 400 is a much-maligned engine, just like its little brother the 351M. But the 400 could really have been something to love - if they hadn't retarded the cam dramatically and stuck a 2bbl on it. I know a guy that put a straight-up timing set and a 4bbl on his 400 and claimed it doubled the power.

So don't give up on the engine, it is quite capable if you just give it some love.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Jim. The truck doesn't even have an ignition control module. The wiring is hacked and someone is feeding a cylinder DS II coil & points distributor from somewhere which I'll trace down when I have time. By the way, I do have an '82 F250HD with the heavy rear axle. It was a 351M truck.

The harness should still have a resistance wire built in, if you want to use the DSII coil.

Otherwise, get the square EFI coil. They don't care what voltage they're fed.

so, you have more of a mixed bag already. that can muddy the waters a bit. even still, getting a fuel pump module for an efi 1986 should be a clean option. or getting a sending unit for an 86 with the 4.9 will give you the correct readings and allow an external pump whether mechanical or electric. staying with an 85/86 year should fit the tank as earlier tanks had a smaller hole.

Yes, and it's a wiring hacked mess but I do have schematics for the '84 & '86 models. I can compare the two and hopefully come up with a correct wiring solution for this '86 even if it has to be a mix of both models.

I'm going to cut all zip ties and separate all the wiring so I can see what is what per the '86 schematic. Whatever this guy has the cylinder coil & distributor hacked into has burned up the coil & ignition points. When I figure out how to reduce my pictures using an Android you guys can see this engine bay mess.

Yes, and it's a wiring hacked mess but I do have schematics for the '84 & '86 models. I can compare the two and hopefully come up with a correct wiring solution for this '86 even if it has to be a mix of both models.

I'm going to cut all zip ties and separate all the wiring so I can see what is what per the '86 schematic. Whatever this guy has the cylinder coil & distributor hacked into has burned up the coil & ignition points. When I figure out how to reduce my pictures using an Android you guys can see this engine bay mess.

These later trucks have a harness that will support DS-II or EFI.

'reduce' your pictures?

Use the 'big size' button at the bottom of the right hand column.

'reduce' your pictures?

There's a thread "Pre-emptive Fire"

that shows the resistor wire coiled up inside the dash, near the A pillar.

The 400 is a much-maligned engine, just like its little brother the 351M. But the 400 could really have been something to love - if they hadn't retarded the cam dramatically and stuck a 2bbl on it. I know a guy that put a straight-up timing set and a 4bbl on his 400 and claimed it doubled the power.

So don't give up on the engine, it is quite capable if you just give it some love.

Oh yes, I understand. I've put aftermarket timing sets in the older Ford engines because of retarded cams. This '82 HD doesn't have an engine. I was saying that's the engine the truck had at one time. It still has the front axle, 4 speed transmission, transfer case, and HD rear differential. I'm working on an '86, I was just letting Jim know that I do have a HD truck which is the '82.

'reduce' your pictures?

Okay Jim, that's something to keep in mind concerning the harness. Should I check anything in the "Float" column on the left hand side?

Okay Jim, that's something to keep in mind concerning the harness. Should I check anything in the "Float" column on the left hand side?

I don't usually bother with any of that.

But then again, I can't be bothered to re-orient my pictures either....