Bullnose Forums

1986 Ford F250 302 EFI Delete

Phillip G.

As you may have already seen. I'm trying to finish an EFI delete that someone else started and need some help from anyone that has done this already. My truck is a 4 speed, not AOD.

1. Can I just pull fuel from the factory fuel

tank using a mechanical pump with fuel

lines connected to the factory tank pump

with the electric tank pump unplugged

and the frame rail high pressure pump

removed? My truck is a single tank model.

2. What wires I can cut out of the old EFI

engine harness?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can pull through an EFI pump, but I've not tried it. However, the plug you are talking about has both power to the pump as well as the signal to the fuel gauge. So if you unplug it you won't have a working gauge.

The schematic below shows how that should have originally been wired, so you could remove the BR/W wire on the front tank and/or the R wire on the rear tank to keep from providing power to the pump and still have the gauge.

1985-etm-page104_1.thumb.jpg.6b6809ffd10a898dee7ac9dbf3f8deee.jpg

I think you can pull through an EFI pump, but I've not tried it. However,

the plug you are talking about has both power to the pump as well as the

signal to the fuel gauge. So if you unplug it you won't have a working

gauge.

The schematic below shows how that should have originally been wired, so you

could remove the BR/W wire on the front tank and/or the R wire on the rear

tank to keep from providing power to the pump and still have the gauge.

Quoted from:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-Ford-F250-302-EFI-Delete-tp148614p148618.html

Thanks Gary! I also just realized this should've been posted in the "Projects" section. I just have the front tank so I'll try disconnecting that wire. However, my gauge isn't reading correctly now. Hopefully the engine has the fuel pump eccentric. It does have the factory delete plate on the engine block.

I'm pretty much stuck with going forward with the EFI delete. The guy I got it from has already put an intake and carburetor on it and didn't have the original setup. He's got it rigged to run but it's all a mess. Wiring spliced, vacuum hoses plugged off etc. Is there a complete wiring diagram for say an '84 carbureted model truck?

I think you can pull through an EFI pump, but I've not tried it. However,

the plug you are talking about has both power to the pump as well as the

signal to the fuel gauge. So if you unplug it you won't have a working

gauge.

The schematic below shows how that should have originally been wired, so you

could remove the BR/W wire on the front tank and/or the R wire on the rear

tank to keep from providing power to the pump and still have the gauge.

Quoted from:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-Ford-F250-302-EFI-Delete-tp148614p148618.html

Thanks Gary! I also just realized this should've been posted in the "Projects" section. I just have the front tank so I'll try disconnecting that wire. However, my gauge isn't reading correctly now. Hopefully the engine has the fuel pump eccentric. It does have the factory delete plate on the engine block.

I'm pretty much stuck with going forward with the EFI delete. The guy I got it from has already put an intake and carburetor on it and didn't have the original setup. He's got it rigged to run but it's all a mess. Wiring spliced, vacuum hoses plugged off etc. Is there a complete wiring diagram for say an '84 carbureted model truck?

- deleted -

Here's your pic. You have to use the Insert Image button above.

And do you want me to move it to the Projects section?

Yes, move it please. I saw where a guy named Waine did one. Maybe he can help too. I figured the insert image option.

Yes, move it please. I saw where a guy named Waine did one. Maybe he can help too. I figured the insert image option.

stop and consider this. first off was the truck originally an efi? I know you already said so but I'm playing Matlock for a minute. did the truck have an in-tank pump matched with a high-pressure rail pump? if so, you can use the in tank (low pressure) pump to feed a carburetor. I have done many this way and it works perfectly. in some cases, you may need to add a fuel pressure regulator. but not always. this has a couple benefits. one is that all of the wiring stays as is except for the deletion of the rail pump. next is that you keep the return line compatibility which is very similar to fords "hot fuel" circuit on the 460. third, why buy a pump when you already have one? and you keep the safety switch intact under the glove box to shut off the pump in the case of a hard impact.

Moved.

has anyone heard from Wayne? before I moved from mid tenn I had the chance to meet with him and work with him on his truck one day. a while after that he decided to drop the efi and go carburetor. I have not talked to him really since I moved.

stop and consider this. first off was the truck originally an efi? I know you already said so but I'm playing Matlock for a minute. did the truck have an in-tank pump matched with a high-pressure rail pump?

By the '86 MY all 302's were EFI...