Bullnose Forums

1984 F-250 HD Rebuild Project

Jermd21

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you have the heads ported? The 460's biggest problem is terrible exhaust ports. Leaving them as-cast is also leaving a lot of potential of the table. The problem is the bigger cam. Your cam isn't huge (and I'm glad to see a roller btw), but it's significantly bigger than stock. Worst thing you can ever do to a 385 is a big cam with stock heads. My cam is 508 on the intake, and 541 on the exhaust, and that's with extensive port work. Even with fully ported heads, a custom cam (mine is from Scotty J), if it is ground by someone who knows what they are doing (Scotty is 2nd only to Jon Kaase and even that is a matter of opinion), will favor the exhaust side greatly. 385's have fantastic intake ports, and are great at inhaling. But you need to be able to breathe back out. Idk. Go with what your engine builder says if he is VERY experienced with THESE SPECIFIC ENGINES. The last thing in the world you want is a chevy guy to build a Ford engine. But you'll have a torque monster either way. :nabble_smiley_good:

Bradley,

Thank you for the information. I did not have the heads ported. My main goal at the moment is getting everything back together and operational. I know it doesn't make as much sense to do it later, but after everything is working again I may go back and make some improvements. I thought about getting different heads and headers but in the end I'm trying to keep to a budget (which is slowly growing) and focusing on the basics for now. It certainly sounds like Scotty is the go to guy for 460's so I will definitely look him up if/when it comes to that. Thank you again.

Bradley,

Thank you for the information. I did not have the heads ported. My main goal at the moment is getting everything back together and operational. I know it doesn't make as much sense to do it later, but after everything is working again I may go back and make some improvements. I thought about getting different heads and headers but in the end I'm trying to keep to a budget (which is slowly growing) and focusing on the basics for now. It certainly sounds like Scotty is the go to guy for 460's so I will definitely look him up if/when it comes to that. Thank you again.

Best option would be either having your factory heads done, or some cheap ebay

aluminum Pro Comps. Sounds strange, but Scotty told me that he goes through a whole pallet of those every year. They are surprisingly good.