Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

That's a bummer. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I hope they're not too hard to find. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

It won't hurt anything as it is well supported and fits in the armrest... In fact I can find these new individually...

I am just going to install it as-is. I may have to be gentle on that panel for a bit while closing the door, maybe.. until I replace the panel entirely. It is brittle :nabble_smiley_beam:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't hurt anything as it is well supported and fits in the armrest... In fact I can find these new individually...

I am just going to install it as-is. I may have to be gentle on that panel for a bit while closing the door, maybe.. until I replace the panel entirely. It is brittle :nabble_smiley_beam:

Pressure washed the old fiberglass hardtop. I was going to use my newly discovered capability (media blast) but wife said, why don’t you just pressure wash it ? I was like.. dang that’s a great idea.

CF8874F5-C2F7-4048-9D68-238EED97665D.jpeg.f6c6cdc6f450151e3d0e6df7e2f54c0e.jpeg

There is loose fiberglass up top now from the many years of wear down … I think I’m going to seal up with Bondo fiberglass resin liquid which is designed to do just that. Or maybe the wimbledon white paint I have ?

Pressure washed the old fiberglass hardtop. I was going to use my newly discovered capability (media blast) but wife said, why don’t you just pressure wash it ? I was like.. dang that’s a great idea.

There is loose fiberglass up top now from the many years of wear down … I think I’m going to seal up with Bondo fiberglass resin liquid which is designed to do just that. Or maybe the wimbledon white paint I have ?

Gelcoat, or tabletop epoxy has a better chance of sticking.

Yes, it's waxed so it won't get inhibited and remain sticky.

You'll have to wash that off when the repair is complete, or between coats.

But it won't be as self leveling as epoxy with white pigment, and epoxy is a glue first and a finish second, so you KNOW any loose fibers will be stuck down, and it's NEVER coming off.

I think I've told you that my father was director of engineering at a few plastic plants (mostly acrylic and polycarbonate)

That's probably where I get my geek on with plastic/adhesive chemistry.

You also know "I'm special!" and the smells of monomers and catalysts back then had me asking questions constantly.

He also did optics, at Barnes Engineering, Hamar Laser, and Perkin Elmer back in the days of Micraline and the Keyhole satellites.

You're in semi. There wouldn't be lithography as we know it without PE's Micraline.

Yes, it's waxed so it won't get inhibited and remain sticky.

You'll have to wash that off when the repair is complete, or between coats.

But it won't be as self leveling as epoxy with white pigment, and epoxy is a glue first and a finish second, so you KNOW any loose fibers will be stuck down, and it's NEVER coming off.

I think I've told you that my father was director of engineering at a few plastic plants (mostly acrylic and polycarbonate)

That's probably where I get my geek on with plastic/adhesive chemistry.

You also know "I'm special!" and the smells of monomers and catalysts back then had me asking questions constantly.

He also did optics, at Barnes Engineering, Hamar Laser, and Perkin Elmer back in the days of Micraline and the Keyhole satellites.

You're in semi. There wouldn't be lithography as we know it without PE's Micraline.

Glad to have your multidisciplinary expertise and "specialty" here :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'll do more research into the epoxy as well!

Glad to have your multidisciplinary expertise and "specialty" here :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'll do more research into the epoxy as well!

Tabletop epoxies come in pretty small kits these days.

White universal pigment can be had at any boat store, or bodyshop supply.

If you want technical info, I highly recommend that you visit West Systems/Gougeon brothers website.

They have a staggering amount of tech data and fiberglass repair tutorials, written by actual chemists and technicians on staff. (Literally Decades and decades of information!)

Good Luck! and feel free to ask, if you think I can help.

I'll send you my cell, so you can text, if need be. (It's a lot easier to share a pic of 'a situation' than try to convey it in words to someone as "thick headed" as me. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Tabletop epoxies come in pretty small kits these days.

White universal pigment can be had at any boat store, or bodyshop supply.

If you want technical info, I highly recommend that you visit West Systems/Gougeon brothers website.

They have a staggering amount of tech data and fiberglass repair tutorials, written by actual chemists and technicians on staff. (Literally Decades and decades of information!)

Good Luck! and feel free to ask, if you think I can help.

I'll send you my cell, so you can text, if need be. (It's a lot easier to share a pic of 'a situation' than try to convey it in words to someone as "thick headed" as me. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Thanks a bunch Jim!! I sure appreciate that. I think you have taken a bold move here by sharing your cell. I can be quite a pain!! But I'll do my best to limit troubling you, as you are contributing your knowledge here already and hardly sleeping as-is. I do feel guilty already :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks a bunch Jim!! I sure appreciate that. I think you have taken a bold move here by sharing your cell. I can be quite a pain!! But I'll do my best to limit troubling you, as you are contributing your knowledge here already and hardly sleeping as-is. I do feel guilty already :nabble_smiley_blush:

Please... If you have questions, I have answers or explanations

"Why did it turn purple and sprout like grass?!?!"

(Maybe I don't have ALL the answers... :nabble_smiley_thinking:)

Please... If you have questions, I have answers or explanations

"Why did it turn purple and sprout like grass?!?!"

(Maybe I don't have ALL the answers... :nabble_smiley_thinking:)

Yes! That is precisely why I have to be mindful of your time because you cannot help but help!! :nabble_smiley_wink: