Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned this stuff multiple times, as a far less expensive alternative to Ospho.

You can easily get the instructions and SDS online.

(correct run-on word)

I used to try virtually all of the mechanical meathods of rust removal with little satisfaction short of cutting back to bare metal and welding in a patch. Along the way, stumbled upon a way to get CLR to be effective. I accidentally left a part soaking for 24-48 hours. Was very surprised to find that it worked very well. Then, a few years ago, I read Jim’s recommendation of Metal and Concrete prep and decided to give it a try. It is now my go to

and for you Franks Red Hot fans,

I put that sh&t on everything!

I used to try virtually all of the mechanical meathods of rust removal with little satisfaction short of cutting back to bare metal and welding in a patch. Along the way, stumbled upon a way to get CLR to be effective. I accidentally left a part soaking for 24-48 hours. Was very surprised to find that it worked very well. Then, a few years ago, I read Jim’s recommendation of Metal and Concrete prep and decided to give it a try. It is now my go to

and for you Franks Red Hot fans,

I put that sh&t on everything!

I'm more a Tapitio kinda guy, but Frank's has its place on wings and things.

I've used it many times, and like it. But I don't use their brush-on top coat. I just spray on the paint of my choice while the base POR15 is tacky. I've had very good luck with that.

Thats my plan. I have approx 2 coats of POR-15 now. Once it dries to cured-but-tacky, I'm going to spray primer.

You don't need primer. Your top coat will adhere to tack POR15.

Edit: Good to know for future reference. Unfortunately, I don't have the basecoat/topcoat paint yet. I'm going next week with the gas cover and cowl drain cover to get "wimbledon white" and "bright yellow". I'll probably get 2 qts each since the hood has to be done as well and have some spares for touch ups.

D7E93071-A132-46DA-977D-16D7A088E014.jpeg.5bc86b4fd6378b55cf3695e4ec252c92.jpeg

Edit: Good to know for future reference. Unfortunately, I don't have the basecoat/topcoat paint yet. I'm going next week with the gas cover and cowl drain cover to get "wimbledon white" and "bright yellow". I'll probably get 2 qts each since the hood has to be done as well and have some spares for touch ups.

Picked up some paint this evening and just used my 6 gal compressor to just spray the floors and use it to check the color match and flex my “painting muscles” before I do the hood. I think my guy got the color match pretty close. It is needing 3 light coats minimum over gray primer to match stock “Bright Yellow”. It will be good enough.

I accidentally scratched the passenger side floor with something after it was painted. The scratch got through paint and primer and terminated on the POR-15 (black). I am so glad I did the POR-15 as it is truly the last line of defense to prevent moisture ingress. It’s scratch resistance is off the charts.

1679950C-59E0-48D7-8B25-2D9191FC603E.jpeg.7f7612bc4565ee76ccb275aab3b6f5b3.jpeg

B84C83EB-44DC-4CFD-8B5E-66033675662A.jpeg.415aa35bb85b570109df1f9ec8797833.jpeg

Picked up some paint this evening and just used my 6 gal compressor to just spray the floors and use it to check the color match and flex my “painting muscles” before I do the hood. I think my guy got the color match pretty close. It is needing 3 light coats minimum over gray primer to match stock “Bright Yellow”. It will be good enough.

I accidentally scratched the passenger side floor with something after it was painted. The scratch got through paint and primer and terminated on the POR-15 (black). I am so glad I did the POR-15 as it is truly the last line of defense to prevent moisture ingress. It’s scratch resistance is off the charts.

Good bye rust!

:nabble_anim_claps: