Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that part number!!

Called the local dealer with both F1AZ6890B and D7AZ6890A and I thought it was funny that they said "this is a GM part we don't carry it"... I told them.. "hey.. have you ever seen a GM part starting with an F1AZ and D7AZ ??? You should know better!!"

Anyways, Regis manufacturing is ~25 mins from where I am. Glad to know they are there!!

I do agree this thread belongs in projects 100%, is there anyway to move this there WHOLE ?

Gary beat me to the punch.

I'm weird that way. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I make connections and see patterns in things that you wouldn't expect.

Gary beat me to the punch.

I'm weird that way. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I make connections and see patterns in things that you wouldn't expect.

Ok, got a few things done today

As part of the motor mount struggle (the bolt was like 1/8 inch from clearing the mount hole).. The transmission crossmember bolts had to move back just a hair. I had to enlarge the rear holes a bit to get the nut and bolt to clear. The front and rear drive shafts had to be taken out just to make things easier.

BD81C302-C4BB-4EA7-8338-73B0950AA707.jpeg.8daa8f846bdfc121d28e935160385466.jpeg

Wanted to document the torque converter face to bellhousing face distance for a proper torque converter install. Before torque converter was bolted, The distance from torque converter face to bellhousing face (including plate was about) 1.32” and about 1.26” with the plate thickness subtracted. After the torque converter was bolted, the distances were 1.2” and approx 1.14” respectively.

9D5BF982-00E8-4D30-BE2A-210E9D8FFEA0.jpeg.e2129065c497f89b7227a400a84e5490.jpeg

596859B0-E3B9-43B8-8E58-DCB3A8F2119F.jpeg.b98d590837481a30784aad85fb7167e4.jpeg

All the accessories from the bullnose fit rather well. The broncos power steering hose had to be used, but all else was from the bullnose.

02613201-605B-416E-BB10-FEE066DB23A5.jpeg.5bc002ddea479cd0bef351876b22e17c.jpeg

87D9F3EF-97BF-4D74-ACBA-1EB5AAFCF470.jpeg.c004458302d3023c437187a68ed137eb.jpeg

3AF6BB17-611B-41E0-BE7A-70B854914F55.jpeg.91e3961f8c30a143e2fd3ce81e62767e.jpeg

The oil pan looks like it would clear the frame completely without needing to touch the motor. On bullnose we all know what a bear of a job it is to remove the oil pan. As they say, if only the engineers had to work on the trucks they designed.

8A88E0EF-18AA-4055-A60A-057C49A15D32.jpeg.5bfcb41472cfe95ab029105230322f0c.jpeg

Ok, got a few things done today

As part of the motor mount struggle (the bolt was like 1/8 inch from clearing the mount hole).. The transmission crossmember bolts had to move back just a hair. I had to enlarge the rear holes a bit to get the nut and bolt to clear. The front and rear drive shafts had to be taken out just to make things easier.

Wanted to document the torque converter face to bellhousing face distance for a proper torque converter install. Before torque converter was bolted, The distance from torque converter face to bellhousing face (including plate was about) 1.32” and about 1.26” with the plate thickness subtracted. After the torque converter was bolted, the distances were 1.2” and approx 1.14” respectively.

All the accessories from the bullnose fit rather well. The broncos power steering hose had to be used, but all else was from the bullnose.

The oil pan looks like it would clear the frame completely without needing to touch the motor. On bullnose we all know what a bear of a job it is to remove the oil pan. As they say, if only the engineers had to work on the trucks they designed.

Progress is good! Glad things are bolting in nicely.

There is sooooo much difference between the dentside and bullnose trucks! I've compared the size of things like tie rods on a dentside to the Bullnose trucks and found that the F100/150 dentside tie rods are about the same size as those on a Bullnose F250 - much bigger than a Bullnose F100/150's.

And the crossmembers are so different as well. But, I'm not sure that the issues of a 460 in a Bullnose truck are the sins of the engineers. I say that because I don't believe the Bullnose trucks were truly engineered to ever have a 460. Ford seems to have concluded that the 400 would be adequate and engineered for that. But they neutered the 400 with a 2bbl carb and a retarded cam and nobody wanted it. (An acquaintance put a straight-up timing set and a 4bbl carb on his 400 and claimed it doubled the power.)

So someone said "Why don't we drop the 460 in the Bullnose", and the engineers had to figure out how high to lift it before dropping it in. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Progress is good! Glad things are bolting in nicely.

There is sooooo much difference between the dentside and bullnose trucks! I've compared the size of things like tie rods on a dentside to the Bullnose trucks and found that the F100/150 dentside tie rods are about the same size as those on a Bullnose F250 - much bigger than a Bullnose F100/150's.

And the crossmembers are so different as well. But, I'm not sure that the issues of a 460 in a Bullnose truck are the sins of the engineers. I say that because I don't believe the Bullnose trucks were truly engineered to ever have a 460. Ford seems to have concluded that the 400 would be adequate and engineered for that. But they neutered the 400 with a 2bbl carb and a retarded cam and nobody wanted it. (An acquaintance put a straight-up timing set and a 4bbl carb on his 400 and claimed it doubled the power.)

So someone said "Why don't we drop the 460 in the Bullnose", and the engineers had to figure out how high to lift it before dropping it in. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks!!

It does seem that way. I had a truck with a 351m (400) and I'm quite certain it didn't require lifting the motor to remove the oil pan. Unfortunately, the windsors and 460 didn't have the same luck.

I do also think the use of the TTB dictated frame/cross-member design.

I started bolting up the radiator support and I want to say there is barely 1 inch between the fan and the radiator. The radiator is original to the bronco, but its a "Super Cooling radiator" that came from factory. It is massive. So there is a small chance electric fans, 3G alternator upgrade, etc may be in the works in the future.

Thanks!!

It does seem that way. I had a truck with a 351m (400) and I'm quite certain it didn't require lifting the motor to remove the oil pan. Unfortunately, the windsors and 460 didn't have the same luck.

I do also think the use of the TTB dictated frame/cross-member design.

I started bolting up the radiator support and I want to say there is barely 1 inch between the fan and the radiator. The radiator is original to the bronco, but its a "Super Cooling radiator" that came from factory. It is massive. So there is a small chance electric fans, 3G alternator upgrade, etc may be in the works in the future.

Got the front clip back on today. This was the part I was most dreading since there were dozens of nuts to deal with. I am sure this job is a treat for folks up north ! Those body mount nut/clips needed a lot of PB plaster. Needed new core support bushings as the original ones seized up.

07BAD44E-20E9-42BA-A1D3-DD6E7C3686AA.jpeg.5b2293fe545300fce6e3f374d5d95514.jpeg

Radiator mounted just to model connections. The fan shroud that came with the bronco didn’t work as the fit was too tight. Luckily the bullnose fan shroud worked well. I will need to trim it in some places so it’s snug with the “super cooling” radiator. That radiator is absolutely massive.

7B03B9AF-8CB4-48E6-8E4F-35C93A515F44.jpeg.12cf60787633b537e499584cb535eef3.jpeg

Next up is exhaust, which I plan to weld custom from manifold to tailpipe. This is going to take a while. Brakes are up after that, the Bronco hasn't ran in 3 years and all the brake hardware look old. I'll be replacing everything from master cylinder, rubber lines, pads, cylinders, etc.

Got the front clip back on today. This was the part I was most dreading since there were dozens of nuts to deal with. I am sure this job is a treat for folks up north ! Those body mount nut/clips needed a lot of PB plaster. Needed new core support bushings as the original ones seized up.

Radiator mounted just to model connections. The fan shroud that came with the bronco didn’t work as the fit was too tight. Luckily the bullnose fan shroud worked well. I will need to trim it in some places so it’s snug with the “super cooling” radiator. That radiator is absolutely massive.

Next up is exhaust, which I plan to weld custom from manifold to tailpipe. This is going to take a while. Brakes are up after that, the Bronco hasn't ran in 3 years and all the brake hardware look old. I'll be replacing everything from master cylinder, rubber lines, pads, cylinders, etc.

As an engineer you understand that there is no such thing as "too much" heat shedding capacity.

But that's also heat you're wasting (also out the manifolds...)

Glad your better half was able to help. :nabble_smiley_good:

Extra hands are always welcome.

As an engineer you understand that there is no such thing as "too much" heat shedding capacity.

But that's also heat you're wasting (also out the manifolds...)

Glad your better half was able to help. :nabble_smiley_good:

Extra hands are always welcome.

Thanks! Hoping this "Super cooling" Radiator will do the job.

Speaking of exhaust, I have 2 of these with me and they are a great fit for the 460. (Walker Exhaust 41726)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KZL26?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

From there on, it will be improvisation. Any recommendations for a muffler ? Looking for something that will take two 2.5 inch inputs and comes out with one 3 inch output. Need something that sounds "Respectable" and not something only high school kids like :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks! Hoping this "Super cooling" Radiator will do the job.

Speaking of exhaust, I have 2 of these with me and they are a great fit for the 460. (Walker Exhaust 41726)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KZL26?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

From there on, it will be improvisation. Any recommendations for a muffler ? Looking for something that will take two 2.5 inch inputs and comes out with one 3 inch output. Need something that sounds "Respectable" and not something only high school kids like :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I like Magnaflow mufflers, although I don't know if they have one with those fittings.

I like Magnaflow mufflers, although I don't know if they have one with those fittings.

I just checked, unfortunately they don't. They have the opposite, which is 3" inlet and two 2.5" outlet ? Is what I am doing not recommended ? I'm actually copying the factory setup from the 86 Bullnose.