Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thanks! I've never thought of that. Thread sealer - DONE!

Media blasted the floors after covering the dash. The harbor freight 50lb capacity $35 blaster along with my 60gal compressor did short work of it. I only used half a 50lb bag of the fine media from Tractor Supply. The bag was only $12.99.

I ran it at 60PSI pressure and even the 60gal compressor had to run quite a bit to keep up. So I would be very surprised if a small compressor can do it.

Thanks Jim for introducing me to this wonderful capability. I wish I had this for the intake manifold!!

I do plan to use the POR-15 system to finish up the floors since I didn't blast everything down to perfect smoothness. Probably be the easiest way to do it.

117F3D92-0793-4253-B1D6-0D7918E57D71.jpeg.9cb384883ac62aa1562d4a2311ff1c96.jpeg

Found an ecosystem in the cowl drain!!

C2B38782-45BE-49B9-8CEA-FB2E2668EADF.jpeg.99664c3a37eea4a72f4ff923d226dad2.jpeg

Media blasted the floors after covering the dash. The harbor freight 50lb capacity $35 blaster along with my 60gal compressor did short work of it. I only used half a 50lb bag of the fine media from Tractor Supply. The bag was only $12.99.

I ran it at 60PSI pressure and even the 60gal compressor had to run quite a bit to keep up. So I would be very surprised if a small compressor can do it.

Thanks Jim for introducing me to this wonderful capability. I wish I had this for the intake manifold!!

I do plan to use the POR-15 system to finish up the floors since I didn't blast everything down to perfect smoothness. Probably be the easiest way to do it.

It's looking good enough for paint. :nabble_smiley_good:

Don't thank me. There's thousands of not millions before me.

Glad it's worked out well for you!

Glad it worked and that your experience was better than mine. :nabble_anim_claps:

It's looking good enough for paint. :nabble_smiley_good:

Don't thank me. There's thousands of not millions before me.

Glad it's worked out well for you!

D1BF07D6-7807-4C64-800A-DF4557A42963.thumb.jpeg.77e536e4e3261ce4bb68af307a8df884.jpeg

If everything looked like in the blue circle it would be ideal.

There is a lot of roughness still there. The area in the purple circle is very rough. If I blasted it enough it becomes like the area in the red circle.

The area in the purple circle, if that is considered bare metal, I would go to paint but I’m afraid it’s partly oxidized. The whole pan is still very solid though.

I could have spent more time blasting, but with my eye protection fogging up and all that dust I kind of had to pause.

Glad it worked and that your experience was better than mine. :nabble_anim_claps:

It wasn't an wholly pleasant experience to be honest. With the eye protection fogging up, and all stuff everywhere, it wasn't a perfect experience.

It wasn't an wholly pleasant experience to be honest. With the eye protection fogging up, and all stuff everywhere, it wasn't a perfect experience.

You need some way to kill any rust that is lingering. But the texture will allow paint to adhere nicely.

As for the less-than-perfect experience, yup. Now let's see how many days you find media in places you didn't know you have. :nabble_smiley_happy:

You need some way to kill any rust that is lingering. But the texture will allow paint to adhere nicely.

As for the less-than-perfect experience, yup. Now let's see how many days you find media in places you didn't know you have. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I was covered head to toe since I had some warning from you!! :nabble_smiley_happy: I found a bunch in my ears still.

My goal is to use the POR-15 system which has a metal prep to help neutralize any remaining rust.

The process works extremely fast for stripping paint as paint molecules are weak. The difficult part which took a lot of blasting was actually smoothing down the pitted areas. That is actual physical bombardment to remove metal atoms. But hard to strip hopefully means whatever is remaining is very sound and will last.

I now have a gameplan to strip paint from the old hood in areas with surface rust :nabble_smiley_good: