Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

The noise is more than just air in the system.

If you ever turn the wheel with the engine off it WILL squirt out the vent hole in the fill cap/dip stick

Interesting, I haven't tried that before, but I think I recall when the donor truck came to me the transporter unloaded it from his trailer. We had to maneuver the truck quite a bit with engine off to get it situated. We saw a lot of PS fluid leaking out.

My observation is that the pump got quieter every time it was bled out more, but not completely absent to be honest so I am not surprised the noise is just the pump itself.

PS: It is moving monster 33" mud tires on this bronco so its working hard (tires that are too large for my liking!!)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I haven't tried that before, but I think I recall when the donor truck came to me the transporter unloaded it from his trailer. We had to maneuver the truck quite a bit with engine off to get it situated. We saw a lot of PS fluid leaking out.

My observation is that the pump got quieter every time it was bled out more, but not completely absent to be honest so I am not surprised the noise is just the pump itself.

PS: It is moving monster 33" mud tires on this bronco so its working hard (tires that are too large for my liking!!)

And that is why I like my van pump.❤️

No noise, plenty of power, from the Saginaw

And that is why I like my van pump.❤️

No noise, plenty of power, from the Saginaw

Amen, brother!

This evening I showed our 3 year old (he's already a car guy. He likes him a 'cool car'... anything with a vicious exhaust and bright colors) the bronco finally. He was able to steer lock to lock no problem so I think we have a working pump doing its job well!

I will definitely be on the lookout for saginaw pump brackets for a 460.

Any particular year/model vans I should be on the lookout for ?

This evening I showed our 3 year old (he's already a car guy. He likes him a 'cool car'... anything with a vicious exhaust and bright colors) the bronco finally. He was able to steer lock to lock no problem so I think we have a working pump doing its job well!

83-86 E-350 with a 460.

Could be anything from the base model, Club or even Chalet.

Church buses used to be the best way to score. 😉

When my ex's daughter was still in diapers she wanted to go in "the big red truck"

I'd find a good size parking lot, she would sit in my lap and tell me to go faster or slow down.

She caught on really quick, even at 18mo. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

When my ex's daughter was still in diapers she wanted to go in "the big red truck"

I'd find a good size parking lot, she would sit in my lap and tell me to go faster or slow down.

She caught on really quick, even at 18mo. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Nice!! My girls are not mechanically inclined as much as my son and it took them a lot longer to do the things he does now.

We were just parked in the garage and he was moving the steering wheel with the truck running. He grabbed the automatic shift lever and almost shifted it down :nabble_smiley_scared: I think there is a safety built in just like the bullnoses but I need to double check.

Nice!! My girls are not mechanically inclined as much as my son and it took them a lot longer to do the things he does now.

We were just parked in the garage and he was moving the steering wheel with the truck running. He grabbed the automatic shift lever and almost shifted it down :nabble_smiley_scared: I think there is a safety built in just like the bullnoses but I need to double check.

OK one more thing to report on the EGR front.

I have now established that the 460 holds excellent vacuum when warm, steady 22" at idle. Still not enough to leak through the distributor :nabble_smiley_wink:

I tried to run with EGR after things warmed up fully and it ran horribly, even with vacuum advance tied straight to manifold vacuum. The 460 would not even idle with EGR functioning, even though I'm mimicking the stock 460 vacuum diagram.

I tried doing the ported vacuum as well to perhaps simulate the scenario where it could be only in effect while cruising. It is able to run 'fine' at about 1500 rpm, but the vacuum gauge wasn't very stable. It was bouncing around just a hair.

Without EGR, both idle and cruising scenarios are performing significantly better based on the vacuum gauge. I do not have pinging issues without EGR while cruising.

Does this mean the 'stock' Cardone distributor is already curved to not use EGR ?

OK one more thing to report on the EGR front.

I have now established that the 460 holds excellent vacuum when warm, steady 22" at idle. Still not enough to leak through the distributor :nabble_smiley_wink:

I tried to run with EGR after things warmed up fully and it ran horribly, even with vacuum advance tied straight to manifold vacuum. The 460 would not even idle with EGR functioning, even though I'm mimicking the stock 460 vacuum diagram.

I tried doing the ported vacuum as well to perhaps simulate the scenario where it could be only in effect while cruising. It is able to run 'fine' at about 1500 rpm, but the vacuum gauge wasn't very stable. It was bouncing around just a hair.

Without EGR, both idle and cruising scenarios are performing significantly better based on the vacuum gauge. I do not have pinging issues without EGR while cruising.

Does this mean the 'stock' Cardone distributor is already curved to not use EGR ?

22" is very good vacuum at idle. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I think there's something wrong if you are getting exhaust gas into the intake at idle. I'm pretty sure that you are only supposed to get exhaust gas when under partial load, meaning cruise but not idle nor WOT.

However, if you aren't getting pinging then your distributor may be set up for a non-EGR system, although that would be surprising. Still, if it is running when w/o EGR then I'd leave EGR off.

22" is very good vacuum at idle. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I think there's something wrong if you are getting exhaust gas into the intake at idle. I'm pretty sure that you are only supposed to get exhaust gas when under partial load, meaning cruise but not idle nor WOT.

However, if you aren't getting pinging then your distributor may be set up for a non-EGR system, although that would be surprising. Still, if it is running when w/o EGR then I'd leave EGR off.

I have a nice vacuum diagram in color for a 1986 carbureted 460 with C6.