Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

After that video, I must have done the lock to lock both with and without engine running multiple times. No change. The pump engages in only one direction. I’m hearing that if the control valve in the steering box is stuck it can do this.

It's certainly not the pump.

The pump is spinning the same, either way you turn.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly not the pump.

The pump is spinning the same, either way you turn.

OK wherever it was the problem is fixed now !!!

I took Gary's word, and decided I should 'bleeding try more' and try more bleeding :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Tried to the bleed the system as I assumed the fluid was already full. Every time I tried to do it with the engine running, it would burp out more fluid. Then decided to try to bleed with the engine off, every few turns, I noticed the fluid level kept dropping until it wasn't visible anymore. Then added more fluid and turned on the engine. I heard that gurgling noise and fluid was at the bottom and I could see it running. Kept pouring more fluid until the gurgling noise went away. I suppose gurgling was it trying to suck more air and bleed at the same time, which is counterproductive. Anyway. After the noise disappeared the problem went away!!

I guess I have never had to bleed a PS system before. Even all my previous sitting trucks had a good system.

The pump is a noisy little feller though. It (THINK) it was noisy on the bullnose as well. I will replace it.

I took Gary's word, and decided I should 'bleeding try more' and try more bleeding :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Tried to the bleed the system as I assumed the fluid was already full. Every time I tried to do it with the engine running, it would burp out more fluid. Then decided to try to bleed with the engine off, every few turns, I noticed the fluid level kept dropping until it wasn't visible anymore. Then added more fluid and turned on the engine. I heard that gurgling noise and fluid was at the bottom and I could see it running. Kept pouring more fluid until the gurgling noise went away. I suppose gurgling was it trying to suck more air and bleed at the same time, which is counterproductive. Anyway. After the noise disappeared the problem went away!!

I guess I have never had to bleed a PS system before. Even all my previous sitting trucks had a good system.

The pump is a noisy little feller though. It (THINK) it was noisy on the bullnose as well. I will replace it.

Yep, the C-II pump is notoriously noisy. Like the geared Mopar starter, you can hear a Ford truck coming a block away. (One of the benefits of a Saginaw pump.)

Anyway, glad you got it bled. That can be a pain, but when you get it done you'll quickly forget it.

The Grrrring is a signature of all Ford vehicles with that pump.

The Grrrring is a signature of all Ford vehicles with that pump.

I see. Didn't know the difference between a Saginaw and C-II. On this link below, I assume all of them are C-IIs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1986,f-250,7.5l+460cid+v8,1124031,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

And installing a saginaw means new brackets, etc I assume.

It has an excessive whine, do y'all think a new one (Even a C-II) would be quieter ?

I see. Didn't know the difference between a Saginaw and C-II. On this link below, I assume all of them are C-IIs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1986,f-250,7.5l+460cid+v8,1124031,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

And installing a saginaw means new brackets, etc I assume.

It has an excessive whine, do y'all think a new one (Even a C-II) would be quieter ?

The F-Series & Broncos only came with the C-II. The Saginaw pumps came on the E-Series. And yes, you have to get the right brackets and probably hoses to go that way.

But there is an outfit making a C-II with Saginaw internals. Not cheap, but it is quiet.

Otherwise, you can replace your pump and expect to get a different tone, but not silence.

The F-Series & Broncos only came with the C-II. The Saginaw pumps came on the E-Series. And yes, you have to get the right brackets and probably hoses to go that way.

But there is an outfit making a C-II with Saginaw internals. Not cheap, but it is quiet.

Otherwise, you can replace your pump and expect to get a different tone, but not silence.

Look at Jim's post here for the info on the new pumps: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Saginaw-Conversion-for-82-400-tp140983p141020.html

Look at Jim's post here for the info on the new pumps: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Saginaw-Conversion-for-82-400-tp140983p141020.html

Happy to report that the pump is quiet now. I hear the faintest whining still but it's better than all the other bullnoses. I probably need to do this to the other bullnoses.

Earlier yesterday, I noticed the pump was still puking after a few rounds of vehicle being on and off.

The reason it is noisy as we all know is because of the air in the system causing cavitation in the fluid, and this is also why I figured it was puking.

I think I've found a method that works. It is the same as what I described yesterday but multiple rounds of bleeding. The fluid and engine need to be fully warm. With the engine running and fluid fully warm, open the reservoir and pour fluid until the gurgling noise goes away. Close the reservoir. Then cycle the steering a few times, the fluid level goes down and there is gurgling noise again, pour fluid again until the gurgling noise goes away. Keep doing this until the fluid level doesn't go down.

Now there is no puking (despite the fact that I added a lot of fluid with the engine running), pump is quiet and the steering effort is minimal!!

For this level of quietness to be effective long-term there should be no PS fluid leaks that will cause the fluid level to drop and cause air introduction.

Happy to report that the pump is quiet now. I hear the faintest whining still but it's better than all the other bullnoses. I probably need to do this to the other bullnoses.

Earlier yesterday, I noticed the pump was still puking after a few rounds of vehicle being on and off.

The reason it is noisy as we all know is because of the air in the system causing cavitation in the fluid, and this is also why I figured it was puking.

I think I've found a method that works. It is the same as what I described yesterday but multiple rounds of bleeding. The fluid and engine need to be fully warm. With the engine running and fluid fully warm, open the reservoir and pour fluid until the gurgling noise goes away. Close the reservoir. Then cycle the steering a few times, the fluid level goes down and there is gurgling noise again, pour fluid again until the gurgling noise goes away. Keep doing this until the fluid level doesn't go down.

Now there is no puking (despite the fact that I added a lot of fluid with the engine running), pump is quiet and the steering effort is minimal!!

For this level of quietness to be effective long-term there should be no PS fluid leaks that will cause the fluid level to drop and cause air introduction.

The noise is more than just air in the system.

If you ever turn the wheel with the engine off it WILL squirt out the vent hole in the fill cap/dip stick