Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

DO IT!

You won't be disappointed.

I order from DB Electrical.

But, you be you....

Noted!

Just checked DB Electrical (thanks for another vendor referral). Unfortunately no alternators showing up in this case for a 80s V-belt 460.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noted!

Just checked DB Electrical (thanks for another vendor referral). Unfortunately no alternators showing up in this case for a 80s V-belt 460.

You change the pulley

Go read the 3G upgrade tutorial.....

You change the pulley

Go read the 3G upgrade tutorial.....

Will do!

I just grafted another piece which should give me the needed clearance. Somehow this looks more normal and proportionate

24308FD6-5994-4653-AA26-9A0ED96B0664.jpeg.0ed403100413bf73272cc65b391de56d.jpeg

Will do!

I just grafted another piece which should give me the needed clearance. Somehow this looks more normal and proportionate

I lucked out and bought a Magnaflow universal tail pipe from Amazon for under $40 delivered.

Not a current number, but it fit great, and I cut off a Audi stainless hanger.

Demon sells stainless flux core wire.... 🤪

Edit: you said you read my post from 2011....

I lucked out and bought a Magnaflow universal tail pipe from Amazon for under $40 delivered.

Not a current number, but it fit great, and I cut off a Audi stainless hanger.

Demon sells stainless flux core wire.... 🤪

Edit: you said you read my post from 2011....

Nice ! I’m just using Harbor freight 0.035 flux core wire.

Speaking of stainless, I saw option to installed a stainless exhaust system. Does that fare better for rust ?

Nice ! I’m just using Harbor freight 0.035 flux core wire.

Speaking of stainless, I saw option to installed a stainless exhaust system. Does that fare better for rust ?

You think?

Ask Bill about CRES. Because no steel is truly 'stainless'

309 & 409 are probably what you'll find most often

You think?

Ask Bill about CRES. Because no steel is truly 'stainless'

309 & 409 are probably what you'll find most often

Decided to take it out on the alleyway, and Jim I gotta give it to you. It is a low-end torque monster. Also cranks up real easy. Glad the timing chain was done.

I do have a problem with the steering. It doesn't like to turn left at all, very high level of effort... easy to turn right. I'll probably start a thread on this.

The bronco came with a new steering box, not sure why it was purchased by previous owner, maybe this is why.

Video of the problem statement

Decided to take it out on the alleyway, and Jim I gotta give it to you. It is a low-end torque monster. Also cranks up real easy. Glad the timing chain was done.

I do have a problem with the steering. It doesn't like to turn left at all, very high level of effort... easy to turn right. I'll probably start a thread on this.

The bronco came with a new steering box, not sure why it was purchased by previous owner, maybe this is why.

Video of the problem statement

You have air in the system, which is why the fluid is frothy. You need to put the front end on stands, start the engine, and turn the steering full lock left/right/left/right etc until the noise is gone. But stop and add fluid from time to time, waiting until the bubbles go out of it.

Make SURE you start the engine before turning the steering wheel. That C-II pump will spray fluid through the itty bitty vent hole all over the engine compartment if you don't have the engine running.

You have air in the system, which is why the fluid is frothy. You need to put the front end on stands, start the engine, and turn the steering full lock left/right/left/right etc until the noise is gone. But stop and add fluid from time to time, waiting until the bubbles go out of it.

Make SURE you start the engine before turning the steering wheel. That C-II pump will spray fluid through the itty bitty vent hole all over the engine compartment if you don't have the engine running.

After that video, I must have done the lock to lock both with and without engine running multiple times. No change. The pump engages in only one direction. I’m hearing that if the control valve in the steering box is stuck it can do this.