Bullnose Forums

460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44

Thinking of getting all new 25 gallon kit in favor of the old 33 gallon tank and kit. This will give me sufficient capacity for city driving and also address the concern you brought up with the gravity fed fuel pump being too low to the ground.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1978-1979-Ford-Bronco-255-Gallon-Steel-Gas-Tank-Kit/productinfo/20205/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiArrCvBhCNARIsAOkAGcWOZ-TxJDZriTxbaT5nUnS3Ys7l-Z5afr5JFoR9zUBleUIhvGdDpq4aAhEDEALw_wcB

I'll sell the skid plate and the 33 gallon, i'm sure there is an off-roading enthusiast or someone who might want it.

If the 250mi range doesn't bother you, go for it!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 250mi range doesn't bother you, go for it!

I'm going to !! That's also to avoid cleaning the old tank.

So far I have only washed the outside of the 33 gal tank to see if there was any rust, didn't find any so its in good shape.

The 33 gal tank has a lot of "sludge" inside it and usually I set the tank upside down in the sun and all of that sludge peels and falls in the tank. Then I wash out all of that. My neighbor will have a conniption if I do all this :nabble_smiley_uh:

I'm going to !! That's also to avoid cleaning the old tank.

So far I have only washed the outside of the 33 gal tank to see if there was any rust, didn't find any so its in good shape.

The 33 gal tank has a lot of "sludge" inside it and usually I set the tank upside down in the sun and all of that sludge peels and falls in the tank. Then I wash out all of that. My neighbor will have a conniption if I do all this :nabble_smiley_uh:

Good luck on cleaning that tank. My experience with doing that was fraught with problems. My brother and I put a chain inside one and sloshed it around with a couple of gallons of gas in the tank. Poured that out and went again. And again. And again. After about 5 times we realized we'd just spent $30 in gas & 10 in medicine for our muscles in trying to revive a $100 tank.

And to top it off we still had enough silt and/or rust in the tank that it plugged the accelerator pump jets several times, even though I was running two paper filters in the line.

Won't do that again.

Good luck on cleaning that tank. My experience with doing that was fraught with problems. My brother and I put a chain inside one and sloshed it around with a couple of gallons of gas in the tank. Poured that out and went again. And again. And again. After about 5 times we realized we'd just spent $30 in gas & 10 in medicine for our muscles in trying to revive a $100 tank.

And to top it off we still had enough silt and/or rust in the tank that it plugged the accelerator pump jets several times, even though I was running two paper filters in the line.

Won't do that again.

I am totally aligned with your experience. 2/3 times in the past I just replaced the tank. The one time I did reuse it, it was not easy to get rid of everything. The amount of time spent, I could have just saved and put towards a new tank.

Fortunately tanks are still cheap enough to just be replaced. And here I'm excited because it will be easier to install the 25 gallon and I think it will function better with a gravity fed low pressure pump.

Won't do that again.

Gary this is exactly why I don't bother with cleaning an old tank anymore. I certainly prefer as much ford originality as possible, but I consider a 40 year old tank a consumable now. the sending units too. even though getting a real good replacement is hit or miss.

Gary this is exactly why I don't bother with cleaning an old tank anymore. I certainly prefer as much ford originality as possible, but I consider a 40 year old tank a consumable now. the sending units too. even though getting a real good replacement is hit or miss.

My experience is that the 90's parts are better than the 80's parts. Ford was experimenting on how to do things in the 80's, and they didn't get it right until the 90's. So my truck is a '96 under the skin, and you can buy parts for that easily.

My experience is that the 90's parts are better than the 80's parts. Ford was experimenting on how to do things in the 80's, and they didn't get it right until the 90's. So my truck is a '96 under the skin, and you can buy parts for that easily.

Got custom exhaust pipes welded over the weekend. Love those 20 degree elbows. They are so handy.

I have the pipes configured so they are easily removable. The left side pipe got close to the front drive shaft U joint. Nothing some hammering couldn’t handle.

Walker 41726 is the one with the flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold. Had to trim maybe a 1/4" to make it fit the manifold snug.

The removable coupling is made by pairing Walker 41726 and Walker 41723. What I Like about this is that it is gasket-less.

903CCE97-B94F-4721-BEE7-343B08AC8C82.jpeg.d477ecd2acb0e5bf2b7d6af905b90d04.jpeg

8BE7E3AB-1A47-4BE2-830B-26DA9147C736.jpeg.177fe2766217f2ccaaf5711483f04d9d.jpeg

Got custom exhaust pipes welded over the weekend. Love those 20 degree elbows. They are so handy.

I have the pipes configured so they are easily removable. The left side pipe got close to the front drive shaft U joint. Nothing some hammering couldn’t handle.

Walker 41726 is the one with the flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold. Had to trim maybe a 1/4" to make it fit the manifold snug.

The removable coupling is made by pairing Walker 41726 and Walker 41723. What I Like about this is that it is gasket-less.

Cool! :nabble_anim_claps:

Looks great! :nabble_smiley_good:

Those crinkle bends don't last 2 years up here in the salt belt, but shouldn't be a problem in Dallas.

Looks great! :nabble_smiley_good:

Those crinkle bends don't last 2 years up here in the salt belt, but shouldn't be a problem in Dallas.

Good point!! Dang it... I could have sourced the 45 degree elbows locally without those crinkles (only used 1), but not the 20 degree elbows (used 4).

I hadn't thought of these crinkle bends being more rust prone as they are (thinner or because they trap salt?)

But reading about them just now, supposedly they can increase backpressure some which in my case might be helpful, supposedly EGR needs some backpressure to have sufficient exhaust pressure available (even though vacuum is what is pulling it) ? :nabble_smiley_evil: