Bullnose Forums

Double check cheap distributors

Ever since Cardone got bought they are the bottom of the barrel.

Sad thing is that's what I mostly sell. That and WAI Global. I've not been impressed with Cardone. Scotty informed me that on the points models, the breaker cam thing (can't remember the exact name right now) is not made to original specs and therefore you can't use a Pertronix module on one. Now, Cardone remanned units appear ok. I have one now and it works fine (so far). But, as I have a Pertronix module in it, I'm not using the original wiring, so I can't speak to that.

Sad thing is that's what I mostly sell. That and WAI Global. I've not been impressed with Cardone. Scotty informed me that on the points models, the breaker cam thing (can't remember the exact name right now) is not made to original specs and therefore you can't use a Pertronix module on one. Now, Cardone remanned units appear ok. I have one now and it works fine (so far). But, as I have a Pertronix module in it, I'm not using the original wiring, so I can't speak to that.

Thanks for that feedback. Wires are my only complaint so far. 2/2 failures out of box is just not acceptable.

Even worse was when I called their customer service and they wanted me to deal with Amazon for warranty/troubleshooting !

Thanks for that feedback. Wires are my only complaint so far. 2/2 failures out of box is just not acceptable.

Even worse was when I called their customer service and they wanted me to deal with Amazon for warranty/troubleshooting !

LCD.....

Just curious, is there some serious rebuild option out there, for distributors?

Maybe it would be more reliable to have an OEM rebuild than a new cheap replacement…

The more I read about such “new” disappointing replacement equipment, the more I am questioning myself about possible quality rebuild options.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Maybe it would be more reliable to have an OEM rebuild than a new cheap replacement…

The more I read about such “new” disappointing replacement equipment, the more I am questioning myself about possible quality rebuild options.

You can get components:.bushes, gears, pickups, springs...

But you can't get a new harness with the odd 'grommet' molded on, nor new slotted advance plates or reluctor wheels.

If you read Scotties recurve instructions you want to change the slot and be incredibly careful with the reluctor.

I was going to toss the old motorcraft distributor, but I'm saving it now for a potential rebuild. The harness on it is SOLID. The only issue on it was the distributor bearing was shot, it sounded like a Jet engine and the timing was jumping around.

The other issue was that the reluctor was rubbing the magnetic pickup, not sure if thats an easy thing to fix.

I was going to toss the old motorcraft distributor, but I'm saving it now for a potential rebuild. The harness on it is SOLID. The only issue on it was the distributor bearing was shot, it sounded like a Jet engine and the timing was jumping around.

The other issue was that the reluctor was rubbing the magnetic pickup, not sure if thats an easy thing to fix.

If the bushings are replaced it won't rub.

You need to set the distance when you tighten it into the advance plate. (I think I used an index card?)

Scotties Duraspark recurve instructions will show you how to R&R it, but not what curve it needs.

Re: slot size and which springs....

Like I've said it's a Bronco, not a Mustang. And I have no idea the gearing, but assume a 8 or 10L slot width and all in by 3k.

The instructions will have you weld up the narrower slot or bush the pin with a piece of hobby brass tube.

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2.html

You need to set the distance when you tighten it into the advance plate. (I think I used an index card?)

Scotties Duraspark recurve instructions will show you how to R&R it, but not what curve it needs.

Like I've said it's a Bronco, not a Mustang. And I have no idea the gearing, but assume a 8 or 10L slot width and all in by 3k.

The instructions will have you weld up the narrower slot or bush the pin with a piece of hobby brass tube.

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2.html

∆∆∆

And that is why I'd rather spend $150 and have him do it right, on a Sun machine, than scrape around for parts and guess at what I'm going to end up with.

It's a blessing to have someone as knowledgeable as him still in business.

∆∆∆

And that is why I'd rather spend $150 and have him do it right, on a Sun machine, than scrape around for parts and guess at what I'm going to end up with.

It's a blessing to have someone as knowledgeable as him still in business.

Unfortunately the nice Allen machine I had at Preston ended up in the scrap bin. I had gotten it from the people who bought Preston when they were closing it. The distributor clamp was frozen, the double threaded screw (one end RH the other LH) was stuck in the aluminum jaws. I had disassembled the unit far enough the get the clamp off and look at the electronics as it was built when electronic ignition systems were rare.

Plan was fix the clamp and figure out a way to trigger the electronics from various systems (Ford, Chrysler, GM and AMC).

It was at a friend's shop in Suffolk VA, under the bench, partially disassembled. He, maybe one or more of his brothers, decided it was junk and scrapped it.

That machine was bought over a Sun for two reasons, cost and max rpm. It would spin a distributor to 5,000 rpm = to 10,000 engine rpm.

OK i'll replace the bushing. And try to understand what's in that link :nabble_anim_crazy:

I'm hoping the Cardone will last a bit, before I need to recondition the old Motorcraft one.