Bullnose Forums

Double check cheap distributors

I bought a Cardone 842893 distributor to replace a worn distributor (timing was jumping around)

The new distributor worked fine, a month later I noticed the ground wire was hanging loose. The distributor was still within the return window so I got a replacement and guess what it was bad out of box with the ground wire hanging loose !!

7B1BBD8A-F311-48F1-8386-B4CF0F1AD530.jpeg.4e351de66c6dcc00799247d154db6525.jpeg

They used the thinnest stranded wire possible ever which fails at the stress concentration

4E4ECCC0-2474-44C8-AE53-E41142701756.jpeg.e4cde69c4c1fa4bf77a734cb5430a8cf.jpeg

Anyway I didn’t want to return it again because I’m sure this failure would be sure to happen. For now I’ve spliced another wire that runs into the body and grounds itself

10B2F499-AB95-4F0C-AA4A-D33456DB9DE0.jpeg.794c8358e40808308999dc15deb4ab96.jpeg

The ground wire may not be critical but it can definitely affect how it runs as I imagine it reduces noise in the magnetic pickup signal

Something to keep eyes on when buying new cheap distributors

If anyone knows a good distributor that they have luck with let me know.

The ground wire IS critical.

It's the only ground in the DuraSpark system

OK glad to know I took it seriously!

With it being the only ground, this is really sloppy cost cutting by the manufacturer. All they had to do was match the wire strand strength of the reference distributor they copied.

I wonder if I should try LMC's :nabble_smiley_wink:

OK glad to know I took it seriously!

With it being the only ground, this is really sloppy cost cutting by the manufacturer. All they had to do was match the wire strand strength of the reference distributor they copied.

I wonder if I should try LMC's :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ever since Cardone got bought they are the bottom of the barrel.

interesting since I replaced one in my flareside with a Cardone I had in stock just three weeks ago. fingers crossed.

Make sure that duraspark black wire has connectivity to battery ground. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add an extra ground on that wire. The distributor itself is always grounded through the engine block.

Make sure that duraspark black wire has connectivity to battery ground. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add an extra ground on that wire. The distributor itself is always grounded through the engine block.

The clamp and block are plenty.

Remember, you're switching a transistor...

The clamp and block are plenty.

Remember, you're switching a transistor...

Understood. I was saying in Matt's case if he was doubtful of the ground wire integrity to the clamp on the cheapo Cardone, he can add an external ground on that black wire close to the module itself as a backup, speaking off... it seems like a big waste to source ground all the way from the distributor when they just needed a ground strap from the module... and wait the module housing should be grounded already right at the metal fender on my 78 bronco ?

Understood. I was saying in Matt's case if he was doubtful of the ground wire integrity to the clamp on the cheapo Cardone, he can add an external ground on that black wire close to the module itself as a backup, speaking off... it seems like a big waste to source ground all the way from the distributor when they just needed a ground strap from the module... and wait the module housing should be grounded already right at the metal fender on my 78 bronco ?

The module is screwed to a plastic fender.....