Bullnose Forums

Building a high shelf in my shop

Clutch47

20230907_130526.jpg.3ac0a17b505e82066f8bed019ff172d3.jpg

Picture from September. Building my last shop, and this post is about the high shelf I'm putting along the back wall just above those windows. It will be 40' in length and around 28" deep.

20240209_110205.jpg.368cca14782e891ca5501ed946d946ae.jpg

Built 7 of these from 2x2 thin wall square tubing and leftover 2x1/4 flat cold rolled.

My friend wanted to do the welding this time and he added the round tubing pieces.

They will be bolted to the 6x8 posts that are behind the steel panels.

20240226_123439.jpg.c1382b2180cdba6d16ff0110d994d28e.jpg

Dropped them all off at my friends powdercoat business today. I've been doing business with him for 26 years. It's a super busy time of year for him.. he's working 7 days a week now.

He did 400+ race car frames LAST year.

We agreed on the best matching sample as compared to the Ford blue oval on his grille.

http://www.custommetalcoating.com/

What are you going to do with a shelf that deep?

'Stuff' gets lost at the back..:nabble_smiley_thinking:

Agreed. I'll have 20" of available height in back and 31" in front so my plan is to be able to put parts in specific hard plastic storage containers and not have them hanging over. I may put a light trolley or track along the ceiling with an electric winch overhead to help lift things up there too.

Time will tell.

The bottom side will provide lights above my work bench and an easy place to mount and hide air lines overhead with drops at each end.

Agreed. I'll have 20" of available height in back and 31" in front so my plan is to be able to put parts in specific hard plastic storage containers and not have them hanging over. I may put a light trolley or track along the ceiling with an electric winch overhead to help lift things up there too.

Time will tell.

The bottom side will provide lights above my work bench and an easy place to mount and hide air lines overhead with drops at each end.

For totes -endwise- with a library ladder it makes total sense!

For totes -endwise- with a library ladder it makes total sense!

My thinking almost exactly. The library style ladder might not fly. We shall see.

I have to be very careful doing everything as effects from a hemorrhagic stroke 7 years ago left me with wacko balance and a left side impairment that is kinda like having a smart half and a dumb half.

My dog takes total advantage of my dumb side when we rough house.. 🤣🤣

My thinking almost exactly. The library style ladder might not fly. We shall see.

I have to be very careful doing everything as effects from a hemorrhagic stroke 7 years ago left me with wacko balance and a left side impairment that is kinda like having a smart half and a dumb half.

My dog takes total advantage of my dumb side when we rough house.. 🤣🤣

I'm glad to see you've come back so well!

They tried putting me on ssris a few years ago.

I had vertigo and nausea like you couldn't believe, even after 6mo.

Ladders, or behind the wheel of a vehicle, are not good places to be. 😳

I connected with a very unconventional neuro-physical therapist that helped me incredibly. I tell her she saved my life.

She does vertigo treatment and I've seen her fix people in 3 visits.

Hopefully you've gotten a handle on it.

I love the light in the shop. Looks like you're going to have a great place to spend time.

The strength of your shelving...you'll be able to use it to anchor a engine chain fall 😀

I connected with a very unconventional neuro-physical therapist that helped me incredibly. I tell her she saved my life.

She does vertigo treatment and I've seen her fix people in 3 visits.

Hopefully you've gotten a handle on it.

Yeah, I stopped taking their mind control drugs.

I don't get vertigo or the kaleidescope visuals any more.

I also don't feel like slaughtering everyone I see.