Bullnose Forums

Zf-5 rebuild (worth watching)

If you're in the mood to be watching Ford 5spd overhauls, this one below on the M5OD-R2 is pretty good too. The best part is that it's done in a home garage with common tools. I've watched it a few times...very handy if you were thinking of rebuilding one at home.

If you're in the mood to be watching Ford 5spd overhauls, this one below on the M5OD-R2 is pretty good too. The best part is that it's done in a home garage with common tools. I've watched it a few times...very handy if you were thinking of rebuilding one at home.

Thanks for the share. ZF-5 is probably my most desired swap in a Bullnose.. Glad to know it can be serviced in a home garage.

Thanks for the share. ZF-5 is probably my most desired swap in a Bullnose.. Glad to know it can be serviced in a home garage.

I'd hardly say C&C is a "home shop"! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

But it's good to see Clint teaching his kids to build and maintain their own vehicles.

There's a whole series on that crew cab dually, where they build the Cummins and another where they do the reverse shackle swap and retrofit the four-wheel drive.

You might want to check out their playlist

But it's good to see Clint teaching his kids to build and maintain their own vehicles.

There's a whole series on that crew cab dually, where they build the Cummins and another where they do the reverse shackle swap and retrofit the four-wheel drive.

That’s a serious shop indeed. Will check out their videos.

Do you think it’s easier to rebuild a C6/AOD or a T18/T19/ZF5 in a home setting ? To me standards are a bunch of gears and seem more intuitive.

That's a really interesting video. I wish mine shifted like that one does! But I'm not about to take it apart given what I've seen them needing to do. I had a pro rebuild mine and if he didn't get it perfect (you have to "wait on 3rd gear as he said) then I don't think I'd do any better.

That’s a serious shop indeed. Will check out their videos.

Do you think it’s easier to rebuild a C6/AOD or a T18/T19/ZF5 in a home setting ? To me standards are a bunch of gears and seem more intuitive.

.Gearboxes certainly seem more intuitive and I've been inside of them since the '70's when I would split the cases of my dirt bikes.

I remember when they would show you geartrains on the ASVAB and other tests. This always seemed simple to me.

Non-electronic automatics seem complex, and valve bodies appear like Theseus' labyrinth, but there are way less clearances and sliding fits to puzzle out.

I'm not nearly as familiar with them because I've never owned an automatic vehicle, myself.

I can read the channels like a map, or schematic, but you don't really need to know any of that. You just need to put everything back exactly as it should be.

So I would say automatics are probably easier to rebuild, if you are careful.

You don't have to juggle many shafts with stacks of sliding fits. Or have as many snap rings to get in the correct orientation.

For either one to be successful you need confidence and clean environment like a surgeon in a battlefield operating room, IMHO

Tucker did great welding up those races to get them to shrink out of the bottom of the case. He is an amazing welder for a high school kid.

.Gearboxes certainly seem more intuitive and I've been inside of them since the '70's when I would split the cases of my dirt bikes.

I remember when they would show you geartrains on the ASVAB and other tests. This always seemed simple to me.

Non-electronic automatics seem complex, and valve bodies appear like Theseus' labyrinth, but there are way less clearances and sliding fits to puzzle out.

I'm not nearly as familiar with them because I've never owned an automatic vehicle, myself.

I can read the channels like a map, or schematic, but you don't really need to know any of that. You just need to put everything back exactly as it should be.

So I would say automatics are probably easier to rebuild, if you are careful.

You don't have to juggle many shafts with stacks of sliding fits. Or have as many snap rings to get in the correct orientation.

For either one to be successful you need confidence and clean environment like a surgeon in a battlefield operating room, IMHO

Tucker did great welding up those races to get them to shrink out of the bottom of the case. He is an amazing welder for a high school kid.

I have a spare working RWD C6 for a 460. I’d like to convert it to 4x4. Maybe a good opportunity to take one apart. If things don’t work a shop can complete it.

That's a really interesting video. I wish mine shifted like that one does! But I'm not about to take it apart given what I've seen them needing to do. I had a pro rebuild mine and if he didn't get it perfect (you have to "wait on 3rd gear as he said) then I don't think I'd do any better.

Is that synchronizer related? Wonder why he couldn’t fix it since he was already in it. Was the actual framework at its limits or was it a case of “don’t know how it’s going to work until it’s all put back together” … I don’t know much about those gearboxes so just curious

I have a spare working RWD C6 for a 460. I’d like to convert it to 4x4. Maybe a good opportunity to take one apart. If things don’t work a shop can complete it.

C6's are strong but they're really good at turning power into hot fluid.

Will seems to have started a thread, but I don't wade in to something I don't know inside & out

I'm not sure where you'd find a tailshaft housing and output shaft, but you can certainly do it.

I'm not certain if a C6 has an integral adapter, or if you'd need one of those along with the transfer case shift linkage.

If you're rebuilding a 2wd it's a good opportunity to get your speedo adjusted right for whatever gear and tires you intend to use