Bullnose Forums

It is time to talk hydraulic clutch systems.

The ford dealer rejected my truck after having it for a week. We have a "heavy duty truck center" where they work on dump trucks and the such (lots of f550 and up in the service bays).

I made an appointment, talked to the mechanic, he said they were really busy, but would get to it when they could. Called me a week later and said the "required parts are unavailable" and recommended another shop that does "good work". It ended up being an rv dealer, they gave me a weird look and said they don't work on stuff that old.

The only pre bled system I have been able to source is for the 90-93 style trucks. I don't really want to redrill the firewall if I can help it, and I have like 3 complete replacement units at this point all new. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the line.

Did the dealership give you a P/N that was unavailable?

I realize it's been the better part of 40 years, and that they sold for a reason (just like the firewall plate)

But I never expected that they'd be gone.

I'm sure clutch shops aren't going through what you are.

They might have a specialty source

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ford dealer rejected my truck after having it for a week. We have a "heavy duty truck center" where they work on dump trucks and the such (lots of f550 and up in the service bays).

I made an appointment, talked to the mechanic, he said they were really busy, but would get to it when they could. Called me a week later and said the "required parts are unavailable" and recommended another shop that does "good work". It ended up being an rv dealer, they gave me a weird look and said they don't work on stuff that old.

The only pre bled system I have been able to source is for the 90-93 style trucks. I don't really want to redrill the firewall if I can help it, and I have like 3 complete replacement units at this point all new. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the line.

If I was home when I did it, I probably would have just replaced the stud. Working in a parking lot without even a full tool set, I basically just grabbed my 2lb sledge, hammered out the stud, pried the spot welds off with some pliers and then got a bolt. There was still some "slag" left over in the hole, and the hardened bolt I got fit snug and sort of "threads" into the hole without any real slop. Tighten down the nut on the other side, and it's solid.

The bronze busing was almost small enough, and I just so happened to have the same sized drill bit on the truck, so I lightly reamed the loop, and it's a good snug fit.

I don't care if I have to fabricate or replace everything as long as I can get it to work.

Did the dealership give you a P/N that was unavailable?

I realize it's been the better part of 40 years, and that they sold for a reason (just like the firewall plate)

But I never expected that they'd be gone.

I'm sure clutch shops aren't going through what you are.

They might have a specialty source

Alot of the suppliers seem to have stopped replacing them.

The mechanic told me that the order all of their parts from a drivetrain shop in town. When I did construction full time as a kid, I often worked in the shop with the mechanics, usually as a gopher, go for this, pick this part up, drop this alternator off to be rebuilt ECT.

the shop the mechanic said was the same one I used to get flywheels and clutch sets from when I did construction. They told me the suppliers no longer carry them older then 1990 and they can't even order them.

I ran into alot of the same things with my 86 tbird. I daily drove mine, doing pizza delivery ECT. Alot of the parts are similar to both an 80's Ford truck and mustang. About 10 years ago, places like AutoZone stopped carrying all the parts.

Doing pizza delivery with a big heavy two door, I often wore out my door hinges and replaced them religiously. They were always on the shelf in the "help" or dorman section. They stopped carrying them, and dorman stopped making them.

Alot of the suppliers seem to have stopped replacing them.

The mechanic told me that the order all of their parts from a drivetrain shop in town. When I did construction full time as a kid, I often worked in the shop with the mechanics, usually as a gopher, go for this, pick this part up, drop this alternator off to be rebuilt ECT.

the shop the mechanic said was the same one I used to get flywheels and clutch sets from when I did construction. They told me the suppliers no longer carry them older then 1990 and they can't even order them.

I ran into alot of the same things with my 86 tbird. I daily drove mine, doing pizza delivery ECT. Alot of the parts are similar to both an 80's Ford truck and mustang. About 10 years ago, places like AutoZone stopped carrying all the parts.

Doing pizza delivery with a big heavy two door, I often wore out my door hinges and replaced them religiously. They were always on the shelf in the "help" or dorman section. They stopped carrying them, and dorman stopped making them.

Been looking at the pictures I can find online, the newer (92-96?) trucks look to have a very similar pedal bracket. I have also found some close ups of the spring off ebay listings and the like.

I guess I never looked at it that close, but I thought that bracket on the clutch side was a bump stop. It looks like it is supposed to move with the pedal, and that is what does the spring actuation.

I am fairly certain that master muffler must have bent that bracket when they pried out the spring.

I am going to try to hit a junkyard in the next few days. If prices aren't ridiculous, I'll get a whole pedal assembly off a newer truck.

Unfortunately I don't seem to show any 80-86 trucks listed in any local junkyards. Closes one is a 1980 (and I know that may be different) and that one is 85 miles one way.

Looking at the newer pedal cluster, it looks like they added reinforcement for the clutch master cylinder, I think that is why the bolt pattern is angled on the newer trucks.

Does anyone know if I can just swap the pedal assembly as is from a 92-96 truck? They look to be much more plentiful then any of the 1991 or earlier trucks. I'm at the point where I don't mind drilling holes or adding spacers to make this work.

This would also make a pre bled assembly a drop in.

I usually find 5-10 automatics for every clutch.

Been looking at the pictures I can find online, the newer (92-96?) trucks look to have a very similar pedal bracket. I have also found some close ups of the spring off ebay listings and the like.

I guess I never looked at it that close, but I thought that bracket on the clutch side was a bump stop. It looks like it is supposed to move with the pedal, and that is what does the spring actuation.

I am fairly certain that master muffler must have bent that bracket when they pried out the spring.

I am going to try to hit a junkyard in the next few days. If prices aren't ridiculous, I'll get a whole pedal assembly off a newer truck.

Unfortunately I don't seem to show any 80-86 trucks listed in any local junkyards. Closes one is a 1980 (and I know that may be different) and that one is 85 miles one way.

Looking at the newer pedal cluster, it looks like they added reinforcement for the clutch master cylinder, I think that is why the bolt pattern is angled on the newer trucks.

Does anyone know if I can just swap the pedal assembly as is from a 92-96 truck? They look to be much more plentiful then any of the 1991 or earlier trucks. I'm at the point where I don't mind drilling holes or adding spacers to make this work.

I think Ford angled the holes so the firewall didn't take load directly across the two weak points vertically.

Newer (angled) master cylinders use a clutch safety that mounts directly over the nub that sticks through the firewall.

The casting is stronger/reinforced, the steering column hole is different and the column becomes a stub shaft with a universal joint inside the cab.

But I'm not sure exactly when.

I know Bill Vose has a '95 dash from "The Giving Truck" in Darth.

I'm going to tag him because he can help with the detail changes.

I think Ford angled the holes so the firewall didn't take load directly across the two weak points vertically.

Newer (angled) master cylinders use a clutch safety that mounts directly over the nub that sticks through the firewall.

The casting is stronger/reinforced, the steering column hole is different and the column becomes a stub shaft with a universal joint inside the cab.

But I'm not sure exactly when.

I know Bill Vose has a '95 dash from "The Giving Truck" in Darth.

I'm going to tag him because he can help with the detail changes.

I know that I have a complete pedal assembly in storage from an 83 3 speed column shift. and we just stripped an 83/84 f250 with a t19 that is ready to haul off. the pedal assembly is still in it. I pulled the hydraulics as a unit but have not pulled the pedal assembly. I can at least get a picture or two if that helps.

I can't help on the clutch pedal as Darth never had one nor did the Aeronose trucks I gathered parts from, all were AT models. The brake pedal on the 1992-96/7 (Aeronose) is primarily attached with the brake booster studs, There is a brace above that stiffens the area. It is not attached to the dash or it's support at all. The pedal support is visible over the casting.

DSCN0093_copy.thumb.jpg.99ce7b16bcdd44c717ff9223d47505b8.jpg

The dash is attached, along with the stub column to the left side of the cab, two M10X1.5 bolts into the left A post and a further forward bracket welded to the side of the cab inner wall where two more M10X1.5 bolts are.

92_up_column_support_mount_2.thumb.jpg.7413c429f42fdee002ef1a1b63393fa8.jpg

The casting is attached to the dash HVAC ducts that form the bulk of it's structure. The actual dash is mostly a "skin" over the ducts and actually only the 4 screws across the base of the windshield attach the skin to the body. On the right end, there is a tab (frequently broken) that attaches the duct assembly to the right A post. In the bottom center there is a tubular brace from the dash ducts to the upper portion of the floor hump for stiffening.

DSCN1634.thumb.jpg.7f66769a937a09de2aa8d394e8358061.jpg

The stub column is extremely ridgedly secured to the left side of the cab through the casting, the EEC is between the casting and side wall and just in front of the casting are the two wiring harness female plugs in the firewall. a 76 pin for the underhood harness and a 24 pin for the chassis harness.

IMGP0707.thumb.jpg.1d64f65bfb399b28ce71f4717a16c426.jpg

I can't help on the clutch pedal as Darth never had one nor did the Aeronose trucks I gathered parts from, all were AT models. The brake pedal on the 1992-96/7 (Aeronose) is primarily attached with the brake booster studs, There is a brace above that stiffens the area. It is not attached to the dash or it's support at all. The pedal support is visible over the casting.

The dash is attached, along with the stub column to the left side of the cab, two M10X1.5 bolts into the left A post and a further forward bracket welded to the side of the cab inner wall where two more M10X1.5 bolts are.

The casting is attached to the dash HVAC ducts that form the bulk of it's structure. The actual dash is mostly a "skin" over the ducts and actually only the 4 screws across the base of the windshield attach the skin to the body. On the right end, there is a tab (frequently broken) that attaches the duct assembly to the right A post. In the bottom center there is a tubular brace from the dash ducts to the upper portion of the floor hump for stiffening.

The stub column is extremely ridgedly secured to the left side of the cab through the casting, the EEC is between the casting and side wall and just in front of the casting are the two wiring harness female plugs in the firewall. a 76 pin for the underhood harness and a 24 pin for the chassis harness.

Clutch or not, we want to know the mounting differences between the Bullnose pedal box and a later one.

I know the steering wheel supports are different and the hole in the firewall with the boot is different because of the universal joint.

Clutch or not, we want to know the mounting differences between the Bullnose pedal box and a later one.

I know the steering wheel supports are different and the hole in the firewall with the boot is different because of the universal joint.

Jim, on the aeronose, there isn't so much a pedal box on the automatics as there is just a pivot that is mostly contained by the brake booster studs.

DSCN1620.thumb.jpg.438bd0d29a958133341cb2532999cab1.jpg

To the right side of the column, the two nuts with the dark circular gasket between them, is where the 1986 clutch master cylinder would mount. I would imagine on an aeronose cab, the pedal support would be wider, with the clutch pedal on the left and a cross shaft to the clutch master cylinder doubling as a brake pedal pivot would be there and the clutch master cylinder would be bolted in that area.

Steel line is my trailer brake controller hydraulic connection.

Jim, on the aeronose, there isn't so much a pedal box on the automatics as there is just a pivot that is mostly contained by the brake booster studs.

To the right side of the column, the two nuts with the dark circular gasket between them, is where the 1986 clutch master cylinder would mount. I would imagine on an aeronose cab, the pedal support would be wider, with the clutch pedal on the left and a cross shaft to the clutch master cylinder doubling as a brake pedal pivot would be there and the clutch master cylinder would be bolted in that area.

Steel line is my trailer brake controller hydraulic connection.

Right, so this is good info and reason NOT TO mess with the pedal assembly .