Bullnose Forums

It is time to talk hydraulic clutch systems.

I pulled two clutch forks off of two separate 4wd 460's. Both had a t-18 looking transmission (only passenger side PTO provision) and appear to be regular t-18 clutch forks.

The two I ordered online were listed as correct for the truck (ordered for an 85 460), but both were the newer zfs external clutch fork style used from 87 up.

If you can find me a diesel t-19 clutch fork, I would gladly buy it. Every diesel I found at the parts yards were either already gone or automatics, and every online listing I have found for then are out of stock (including rock auto). When researching part numbers (googling the part number) I found posts as old as 2006 from guys saying they were no longer available and best bet was used at a junkyard.

Like an idiot, when I got the first junkyard clutch fork that looked right, I threw away the broken clutch fork it has thinking it was the same, I should have looked closer.

I don't see why ford wouldn't use the same clutch fork in a 4wd 460, both both I found were wrong at looked like a t-18 trans. One truck was very minty looking, had low miles, good paint and a full interior.

I have not been able to find a single t-19 trans truck in the junkyard, or I would have just done that.

The t-18 style fork looks almost exactly the same, but the pivot ball mount is too far in, and hits the bellhousing when installing.

The t-19 clutch fork has nearly the same profile, but is clearance on the back side and has a slight forward curve while the t-18 style is basically flat with no bends.

If you can find me an online t-19 clutch fork that is in stock, let me know. I even emailed two different suppliers that showed out of stock, and they both said the part was discontinued and no longer in production.

Here's some pictures of the difference of Jeff's bronco graveyard.

T-18 style

Screenshot_20240410-014424.thumb.png.43a3dccd488d8b10b18b2eb4f85f0d76.png

T-19 style, the one I need Screenshot_20240410-014756.thumb.png.a880cf9c24f6f7a2a34cc543542e97b1.png

And the newer 87 up zf style

Screenshot_20240410-014434.thumb.png.8d75b212623f7c1bebecb564e319887c.png

The t-18 fork is essentially flat. The t-19 has a bit of forward and back angle to it with a relief cut behind the pivot for bellhousing clearance, and the zf fork is the wrong shape, angles backwards, and the pivot ball mount is so deep that it will not even go into the transmission.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some pictures of the difference of Jeff's bronco graveyard.

T-18 style

Screenshot_20240410-014424.png

T-19 style, the one I need Screenshot_20240410-014756.png

And the newer 87 up zf style

Screenshot_20240410-014434.png

The t-18 fork is essentially flat. The t-19 has a bit of forward and back angle to it with a relief cut behind the pivot for bellhousing clearance, and the zf fork is the wrong shape, angles backwards, and the pivot ball mount is so deep that it will not even go into the transmission.

To insert an image you need to use the "big size" button in the insert image drop-down menu. (This software is antiquated and frustrating, sorry! We're working on it)

I (obviously) have retrofitted a Zf to my T-19 truck.

While I HAVE fixed plenty of Windsor 4x4's, I've never had the forks side by side.

If it's any consolation, I am running a 351 external slave, with bleeder!

I'm going to round up parts numbers and screenshots from the manuals Gary has available online and head over to parts voice + rear counter and see what shakes loose.

Please give me some time.

I'm in excruciating pain.

To insert an image you need to use the "big size" button in the insert image drop-down menu. (This software is antiquated and frustrating, sorry! We're working on it)

I (obviously) have retrofitted a Zf to my T-19 truck.

While I HAVE fixed plenty of Windsor 4x4's, I've never had the forks side by side.

If it's any consolation, I am running a 351 external slave, with bleeder!

I'm going to round up parts numbers and screenshots from the manuals Gary has available online and head over to parts voice + rear counter and see what shakes loose.

Please give me some time.

I'm in excruciating pain.

I have looked long and hard for an nipple bleeder external slave, and have not been able to find one.

I am sure my original slave cylinder problem has to do with the different bores in the slave cylinder. They are not documented in anyway, with reference to what should go where. I figure I am getting half the actuation I need, and the 19mm bore should give me about double the travel. The clutch never felt right from the first time I drove it.

I did finally find a way to completely submerge the slave and bleed it where I can get all of the air out, but I still wasn't getting the actuation that is needed.

I had thrown in the towel, decided I'd let someone else figure it out (cold and snowy with limited time) and gave up. The shop has good reviews and worked on larger commercial trucks, so I thought I was in good hands. They had it for a week, then told me the brand new clutch and pressure plate were bad.

Brought it home, and when I took it apart, the clutch fork was Infront of the throw out bearing and one of the two fingers was broken off.

Shined a light inside, and sure enough, it needed a pressure plate, because they broke off and bent up the fingers. So I dropped the transmission and again swapped the clutch (broken metal was jammed in the disc from the drive home) and thought the new clutch fork would be a trivial, order a new one part.

I didn't need the truck right away by this time, so on my early days and weekends, I hit junkyards in my area until I couldn't find anymore, and didn't come up with a clutch fork.

I was looking at it today closer, and it looks like the bellhousing is also cracked from the clutch fork getting jammed.

Not that I want to, but I found a t-19 in southern Utah (about a 4 hr drive) for less then $500 with a clutch fork and bellhousing. I messaged the guy about it a week or two ago and he just got back to me, so I will probably just go pick that up.

That should solve both my cracked bellhousing and clutch fork issue, hopefully, and give me a spare trans, just in case. I beat the piss out of it getting it home with no clutch, so I don't see a spare trans as a bad thing to have laying around just in case.

For now, I am just going to yank that clutch fork when I get it home and see if anything has changed with the slave cylinder effectiveness.

Maybe the old clutch fork was all bent up, or maybe the bellhousing was already cracked and was causing my issues. Either way, I think I will know a bunch more tomorrow afternoon. If I am still not getting the actuation I want and the bellhousing doesn't look damaged compared to the spare, I am going to order that smaller bore slave and hopefully have this stupid thing done.

I have looked long and hard for an nipple bleeder external slave, and have not been able to find one.

I am sure my original slave cylinder problem has to do with the different bores in the slave cylinder. They are not documented in anyway, with reference to what should go where. I figure I am getting half the actuation I need, and the 19mm bore should give me about double the travel. The clutch never felt right from the first time I drove it.

I did finally find a way to completely submerge the slave and bleed it where I can get all of the air out, but I still wasn't getting the actuation that is needed.

I had thrown in the towel, decided I'd let someone else figure it out (cold and snowy with limited time) and gave up. The shop has good reviews and worked on larger commercial trucks, so I thought I was in good hands. They had it for a week, then told me the brand new clutch and pressure plate were bad.

Brought it home, and when I took it apart, the clutch fork was Infront of the throw out bearing and one of the two fingers was broken off.

Shined a light inside, and sure enough, it needed a pressure plate, because they broke off and bent up the fingers. So I dropped the transmission and again swapped the clutch (broken metal was jammed in the disc from the drive home) and thought the new clutch fork would be a trivial, order a new one part.

I didn't need the truck right away by this time, so on my early days and weekends, I hit junkyards in my area until I couldn't find anymore, and didn't come up with a clutch fork.

I was looking at it today closer, and it looks like the bellhousing is also cracked from the clutch fork getting jammed.

Not that I want to, but I found a t-19 in southern Utah (about a 4 hr drive) for less then $500 with a clutch fork and bellhousing. I messaged the guy about it a week or two ago and he just got back to me, so I will probably just go pick that up.

That should solve both my cracked bellhousing and clutch fork issue, hopefully, and give me a spare trans, just in case. I beat the piss out of it getting it home with no clutch, so I don't see a spare trans as a bad thing to have laying around just in case.

For now, I am just going to yank that clutch fork when I get it home and see if anything has changed with the slave cylinder effectiveness.

Maybe the old clutch fork was all bent up, or maybe the bellhousing was already cracked and was causing my issues. Either way, I think I will know a bunch more tomorrow afternoon. If I am still not getting the actuation I want and the bellhousing doesn't look damaged compared to the spare, I am going to order that smaller bore slave and hopefully have this stupid thing done.

I'm using an Excedy SC886 slave cylinder.

EXEDY SC886 Clutch Slave Cylinder https://a.co/d/9ptuNOC

I'm using an Excedy SC886 slave cylinder.

EXEDY SC886 Clutch Slave Cylinder https://a.co/d/9ptuNOC

hydraulic-linkage-b_1.thumb.jpg.f03fa9d37cb39d9820dc6fdb0aad953b.jpg

7515-updated_orig.thumb.jpg.38f64c3ae0abf9d83a1397240f6dd82f.jpg

bell-housings-updated.thumb.jpg.4a212e42aa30103586a987e616d3a6f4.jpg

application-chart-5_orig.thumb.jpg.d8eaf0dc6fb106793e9aeb5ff1108c74.jpg

application-chart-9_orig.thumb.jpg.0a31cacf149098d5e12ed4ee6b7f2fcf.jpg

This is all I can find, here. Gary may have more info, but I don't always see where he puts things.

The star for the '83 release arm indicates superceded (by the '84-'87 arm below it)

Note: the bellhousing change from 83 to 84 for the 7.5/460. This is because the slave boss is the Achilles heel of those bells.

Now we have information!

Time to go track down what I can.....

This is all I can find, here. Gary may have more info, but I don't always see where he puts things.

The star for the '83 release arm indicates superceded (by the '84-'87 arm below it)

Note: the bellhousing change from 83 to 84 for the 7.5/460. This is because the slave boss is the Achilles heel of those bells.

Now we have information!

Time to go track down what I can.....

We want: E6TZ 7515-A. (marked E4TA 7515-CA, E6TA 7515-AA)

https://atpautomotive.com/clutch-fork-za-126

https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/1984-1987-ford-truck-6-9l-7-5l-4spd-clutch-release-fork-e6tz-7515-a-sku-t837/

If you want to search eBay use the engineering numbers, because most people who strip vehicles only know the number they see, not the actual part number.

Good luck! :nabble_anim_handshake:

If you want to search eBay use the engineering numbers, because most people who strip vehicles only know the number they see, not the actual part number.

Thank you, I have tried various parts numbers (it's nice to know I have the correct ones), but none of them have pulled up anything on eBay. I am sure I have searched the same ones previously, and no dice.

Also, both of the links that you show, are out of stock, and the za-126, I called two different "OEM suppliers". One said the za-124 (the 87 zf fork) was a direct replacement, the other said that the za-126 was discontinued.

I also called my local "heavy duty truck center" Ford center, where I used to take my dump truck back in the day, and the guy laughed at me, and said I would never find one in stock for a truck over 10 years old. He then gave me a list of random first dealerships who "may have old stock", one if which was in Tennessee, and none of them had any either.

AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Napa all show the za-124 zf style clutch fork as a "1983-1997" part direct replacement. So did car quest and the commercial Napa when searching by VIN number.

I don't think that the manufacturers realize that the 83-87 t-19 specific fork is unavailable and believe that the newer zfs style clutch fork will work.

My plan if I didn't find the clutch fork was to steal that bellhousing and clutch fork for the 85 460 4wd if I couldn't find the proper clutch fork, but now that this semi local guy got back to me with a complete t-19, that is the way I am going to go.

Definitely not the cheapest option, bur I don't mind spare parts.

Hmm... The bellhousing for the 83 cracking... I wonder if that is what I was seeing on the 460's at the junkyard because they had the bolt on slave cylinder mount rather then the cast in version like my truck. They still looked like a t-18 trans, but I would imagine the t-19 would be more expensive when the trucks were newer if you wiped out a gear box, and maybe the 83 bellhousing was more common?

Idk, I can't imagine a t-19 getting destroyed easily, specifically after what I did to mine to get it home from Oregon.

Hmm... The bellhousing for the 83 cracking... I wonder if that is what I was seeing on the 460's at the junkyard because they had the bolt on slave cylinder mount rather then the cast in version like my truck. They still looked like a t-18 trans, but I would imagine the t-19 would be more expensive when the trucks were newer if you wiped out a gear box, and maybe the 83 bellhousing was more common?

Idk, I can't imagine a t-19 getting destroyed easily, specifically after what I did to mine to get it home from Oregon.

I snapped the input shaft of my T-19 like a twig. 🤣

Hopefully the bigger 10 spline input of the Zf-5 S42 holds up.

It should, it is the same part # as the later S47 (470 foot pound) version.