Bullnose Forums

It is time to talk hydraulic clutch systems.

Did I ever tell you that I am picky? Like really, really picky? The biggest deal breaker for me on the mark series in the airbags honestly. Now they are much cheaper to replace, and much more common, but 15 years ago, I could buy another car for the cost of fixing the airbags.

The "4,000rpm" redline, is not technically actually 4,000rpm. It will run up to 6250 or so if you have all day, but it is done making power around 3200rpm. The standard output sefi 302 made 150hp from 86-91.

This had a much lower lift cam from the pick up trucks, as well as the e6 head castings (e4,e5 and e7's are the "smog era heads) which are the "high swirl" casting designed specifically to improve emissions.

These were only really used in 86-88 cougars/non-lsc mark7's and the 86-91 sefi crown Vic. The "high output" 302 in the mustang and mark7 lsc was an easy 75hp upgrade.

A number of years ago, the Ford delership I used to frequent for parts an was a member (and president of one) of two different clubs they sponsored with a meeteing room and parts and service discounts sposored a Mustang show. My late wife and I went over, it was mostly Fox body models (I had sold my 1966 GT350 by then).

I was looking at one that the owner (young guy) had put a centrifugal supercharger on. I asked what king of power he was getting, he said around 350hp, I said "oh" He replies you don't sound impressed, I said "no, not when I was getting around 375hp from a carbureted .030 over 289." He did ask how, so I explained Ford racing dual Holley intake, dual 465cfm carbs, 11.1 compression, Hooker 351 & Shelby headers, Hooker header mufflers with side outlets and turning the engine to 7000 with a 7500 redline.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of years ago, the Ford delership I used to frequent for parts an was a member (and president of one) of two different clubs they sponsored with a meeteing room and parts and service discounts sposored a Mustang show. My late wife and I went over, it was mostly Fox body models (I had sold my 1966 GT350 by then).

I was looking at one that the owner (young guy) had put a centrifugal supercharger on. I asked what king of power he was getting, he said around 350hp, I said "oh" He replies you don't sound impressed, I said "no, not when I was getting around 375hp from a carbureted .030 over 289." He did ask how, so I explained Ford racing dual Holley intake, dual 465cfm carbs, 11.1 compression, Hooker 351 & Shelby headers, Hooker header mufflers with side outlets and turning the engine to 7000 with a 7500 redline.

build em right and wind em tight!

build em right and wind em tight!

I live right next to the salt flats, we have a few chunks out here we fly model airplanes on. I always wanted to build a salt flat racer, and the thunderbird was one of the most aerodynamic cars made for years and years. It's more about high gearing and stability than horsepower, although you obviously need both.

The "planned build" was a 255 crank (the 4.2? V-8 only really used from 1980-82 or so) which is something like 17lbs lighter, some old school trick flow high ports, swap from the 7.5" rear end to a 8.8" rear with something around a 2.48 final drive (optional late 70's and early 80's 3 speed non od transmissions mainly) and a t-56 "viper spec" with the .50 second overdrive gear. I did the math forever ago, it was something like 1100rpm doing 75mph in 3rd gear with something like 283mph theoretically possible in 4th gear at 6,000rpm. At the time, I believe the class I was aiming for with an stock unaltered body was only in the 160mph range.

I really got to get back to this truck and get it all ripped back apart. I have caught some sort of bug that just will not go away. That mixed with the heat and all the other stuff I got is just making hard to find the time and motivation in this 102°f heat.