Bullnose Forums

Sliding rear windows

My 1980 F150 had one of the original style aluminum framed sliding rear windows...these were pretty common back in the day. They had a flange that sat in the gasket where the plain glass would sit if it did not have a slider. So the aluminum window frame was outside the body really...

My 1984 F150 only had a plain glass rear window, which I removed and swapped in a factory slider from a 1996 F150.

Once removed from the rubber gasket, it looked like yours...it had two aluminum tracks, one top, one bottom, and then the end sections were plastic. Below is a picture of it disassembled...it shows the black plastic end sections...they were siliconed to the windows (lightly). The aluminum tracks were screwed in place, or screwed to black aluminum uprights. Picture below, aluminum tracks not shown...

I cleaned everything up, re-painted the black aluminum upright sections, and here is what it looked like prior to installation. It was $35 at the junkyard, so I was pretty happy with that. You can see the aluminum tracks inside the gasket.

This window and gasket fit REALLY well. I know some of the earlier aftermarket windows did not fit well at all, so that is why I jumped on the factory one when I did.

When they changed from the old full aluminum frame sliders (like shown on my 1980) to the later ones like I installed on my '84, I do not know.

Cory, this is all very good info.

I'm glad to see you're back, with all the things....

I didn't know what was going to happen when I tagged you in that other thread. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I didn't know what was going to happen when I tagged you in that other thread. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Oh I'm still here Jim, still following along. I can only ever help with very specific topics lol. Anything 4x4 or 8-lug, or big block, etc...and I'm out. Half ton Flaresides...and I'm in the game!

I very recently sold my 1994 F150 Flareside and bought a 2002 Mustang GT, so I'm 100% "truckless" for the first time in many years.

I can still help with Bullnose topics...sometimes;).

Oh I'm still here Jim, still following along. I can only ever help with very specific topics lol. Anything 4x4 or 8-lug, or big block, etc...and I'm out. Half ton Flaresides...and I'm in the game!

I very recently sold my 1994 F150 Flareside and bought a 2002 Mustang GT, so I'm 100% "truckless" for the first time in many years.

I can still help with Bullnose topics...sometimes;).

I'd commented on your mid-life crisis! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm sure it's miles ahead of my carbureted '85.

Haha, I honestly didn't see all the mid-life crisis jokes coming...I guess I should have known better, eh?

I just turned 52 last weekend, am I still "mid-life"?...I dunno...

I feel younger than ever;).

The Mustang is a bit of a departure for me, but not really. I wanted a Foxbody Mustang for a long long time...since they were still "new". Now they're going for crazy money. Up here, it's $20k for a decent one, and $30k for a super clean one. I started looking at the 1994-2004 Mustangs, really leaning towards and early SN-95 car with the last of the 5.0 V8's...1994-1995. They're getting really hard to find too...decent ones that aren't all modded (and tortured) to death. That got me into the 1999-2004 cars, and I found this really clean 2002. The 1999-2004 "New Edge" cars are still reasonably priced...for how long I don't know. Anyway, I'm now learning about overhead cammed V8's lol.

Anyway...it's a "coffee car" lol. It's a cruiser for local cars and coffee nights.

I still want another truck...but what I don't know. I'd love to have a 2nd gen Lightning, but they're getting outrageously priced now too, so that's likely out unless I build a clone.

Anyway, time will tell. The Mustang will hold me over for the 2024 season until I can figure out what else I might want, if anything.

I almost bought another motorcycle, but I talked myself out of that pretty quickly lol.

Haha, I honestly didn't see all the mid-life crisis jokes coming...I guess I should have known better, eh?

I just turned 52 last weekend, am I still "mid-life"?...I dunno...

I feel younger than ever;).

The Mustang is a bit of a departure for me, but not really. I wanted a Foxbody Mustang for a long long time...since they were still "new". Now they're going for crazy money. Up here, it's $20k for a decent one, and $30k for a super clean one. I started looking at the 1994-2004 Mustangs, really leaning towards and early SN-95 car with the last of the 5.0 V8's...1994-1995. They're getting really hard to find too...decent ones that aren't all modded (and tortured) to death. That got me into the 1999-2004 cars, and I found this really clean 2002. The 1999-2004 "New Edge" cars are still reasonably priced...for how long I don't know. Anyway, I'm now learning about overhead cammed V8's lol.

Anyway...it's a "coffee car" lol. It's a cruiser for local cars and coffee nights.

I still want another truck...but what I don't know. I'd love to have a 2nd gen Lightning, but they're getting outrageously priced now too, so that's likely out unless I build a clone.

Anyway, time will tell. The Mustang will hold me over for the 2024 season until I can figure out what else I might want, if anything.

I almost bought another motorcycle, but I talked myself out of that pretty quickly lol.

I'm a decade ahead of you Sunday.

Must be something about springtime! 😉