Bullnose Forums

460 Straight up Timing Chain upgrade

I currently run a 180, but I wouldn't

go below that. Engine wear increases greatly as running temp decreases. I saw a graph on that once and it was shocking. Below 160 and your asking for serious trouble.

if more cooling is needed then a better radiator is the answer not a lower temp t stat. that may give a little grace period, but a better cooled reserve is the thing to do. don't discount a good flowing heater core either.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if more cooling is needed then a better radiator is the answer not a lower temp t stat. that may give a little grace period, but a better cooled reserve is the thing to do. don't discount a good flowing heater core either.

Yep. I've had people buy cooler thermostats because their vehicle is overheating. Not going to work...

The plate looks like it is glued on right there!

If it's pitted buy the FRPP backing plate for ~$35.

I already told you, use the ∆ mark and you'll be fine.

I'm not really sure why you didn't just get one of the other chains we discussed..

Aligned on that. On the small blocks (including 351m) i've had some relief by upgrading the fan-clutch to heavy duty but on the 460s, heavy duty is standard so the only knob available appears to be the radiator.

I always run a 180 on my trucks. In Texas, my temp reading on the hottest days is around 205F at the thermostat (measured with a temp gun). In winter, I'm always around 185 or so. I've considered 195F which is OEM, not sure if that will change summer time maximums, i've always though it wouldn't matter which thermostat I use in Texas summer but maybe i'm wrong.

A thermostat is there to warm up the engine to operating temperature.

It has zero effect once fully open.

Make sure your shroud fits well.

Use the stock fan & clutch.

I have walked this path many, many times.

(Not w/ my truck, but with others that had "better ideas")

Ford has a huge and professional engineering department.

They do extensive testing in all conditions.

The 460 was their workhorse engine from the '70's until '97...

As far as I know, the 385 series never had plastic timing gears. And yes that backing plate is absolutely necessary. Someone who had no clue what they were doing must have been in there before.

You are wrong.

I have pictures to prove it.

I'm not quoting just questioning. the engine is blue. I thought the 1986 one would be gray. the cam gear has a two-piece fuel pump eccentric. I thought it should have an electric fuel pump. is it possible that you have an earlier model replacement engine like I am dealing with?

All 460's came with an eccentric.

Hot Fuel trucks have a block off plate on the timing case.

The plate looks like it is glued on right there!

If it's pitted buy the FRPP backing plate for ~$35.

I already told you, use the ∆ mark and you'll be fine.

I'm not really sure why you didn't just get one of the other chains we discussed..

Jim, I think you're looking at the pic wrong. In middle of the picture, that large hole should be cover by the plate, if it were there. Pic is at weird angle so that makes it difficult. And I would like to see what a plastic 460 timing gear looks like. And what in the world was it used in?