Bullnose Forums

460 Straight up Timing Chain upgrade

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get a chance to get to my truck today, and measure vacuum at the distributor while running.

But tomorrow after birthday lunch, I'm going to give it a shot. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I made a video just now, it is uploading will send link when done. From what I can tell V REST is a vacuum stabilizer. It does not restrict vacuum but really smoothes out the noise and holds it at the ceiling of all the noise. Similar to the function of an electrical capacitor to reduce high frequency noise.

I believe the function is to provide the distributor with a smooth vacuum signal as a cold engine has more vacuum fluctuation.

Edit: Here is the video link

I made a video just now, it is uploading will send link when done. From what I can tell V REST is a vacuum stabilizer. It does not restrict vacuum but really smoothes out the noise and holds it at the ceiling of all the noise. Similar to the function of an electrical capacitor to reduce high frequency noise.

I believe the function is to provide the distributor with a smooth vacuum signal as a cold engine has more vacuum fluctuation.

This is what I've been saying all along.... 🤷‍♂️

I didn't know you well enough to use electronic analogies. (I try to keep it simple, here on the 'net. 😉)

So, I've come to another intriguing hypothesis.🧐

The valve itself is what's modulating the amount of vacuum.

The REST is being a resistor (!) limiting how fast the vacuum servo can charge or discharge. 💡

NOW it begins to make sense!

Ahhh! The restriction is a resistor and the line and the vacuum canister would be the reservoir aka capacitor. They get charged up and are reluctant to change.

Ahhh! The restriction is a resistor and the line and the vacuum canister would be the reservoir aka capacitor. They get charged up and are reluctant to change.

3601D8A9-D228-4DD2-BDD6-72A5E9DDD7DD.jpeg.212408f4f6f3e358149a812a39d1a787.jpeg

Now these “useless” emissions discards have some use to me since I’m starting to understand what they can do 🤣 Until now I thought they were just a fire hazard!!

Now these “useless” emissions discards have some use to me since I’m starting to understand what they can do 🤣 Until now I thought they were just a fire hazard!!

It's all vacuum analogs of electrons.

There weren't computers that could perform under those conditions reliably.

And just like you said about a gearbox, good mechanics could grasp what they did, intrinsically. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I believe they are both capacitors, with the vacuum canister being a very large capacitor with plenty of capacity but able to operate at a lower frequency and the VREST being a high frequency "decoupling capacitor" that kills high frequency noise.

It's all vacuum analogs of electrons.

There weren't computers that could perform under those conditions reliably.

And just like you said about a gearbox, good mechanics could grasp what they did, intrinsically. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Can you tell riddles, puzzles and enigmas or another one of my "special interests"

I should have been come a cryptographer for CIA. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I believe they are both capacitors, with the vacuum canister being a very large capacitor with plenty of capacity but able to operate at a lower frequency and the VREST being a high frequency "decoupling capacitor" that kills high frequency noise.

The VREST is providing hysteresis..