Bullnose Forums

460 Straight up Timing Chain upgrade

It's basically a 21st century chat room

Gotcha. I found something called Facebook Marketplace just last year and Facebook Groups just a few months ago and that has gotten me in a lot of trouble. I probably should stay away from more exposure in the cyberspace and its possibilities.

Gotcha. I found something called Facebook Marketplace just last year and Facebook Groups just a few months ago and that has gotten me in a lot of trouble. I probably should stay away from more exposure in the cyberspace and its possibilities.

If you've been on FB then you should know that they have closed groups, by invitation only. 💡

If we want a back channel on this stupid forum software we're going to have to set up something outside of this software...

It's almost like an alternative is sitting right in front of us... 🙄

If you've been on FB then you should know that they have closed groups, by invitation only. 💡

If we want a back channel on this stupid forum software we're going to have to set up something outside of this software...

It's almost like an alternative is sitting right in front of us... 🙄

I do hope you can make it in September. I know how far it is. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for a back channel, many of the forum software packages have capabilities like that. And given what Mr Nabble told me this week, we will need to move. So now we need to find the right package.

I do hope you can make it in September. I know how far it is. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for a back channel, many of the forum software packages have capabilities like that. And given what Mr Nabble told me this week, we will need to move. So now we need to find the right package.

If schedule permits, count me in!

By the way, Gary, Kudos on getting it right that the vacuum level should not drop through the VREST. I had assumed it would through an orifice. Happy to admit when I'm proven wrong. :nabble_smiley_good:

If schedule permits, count me in!

By the way, Gary, Kudos on getting it right that the vacuum level should not drop through the VREST. I had assumed it would through an orifice. Happy to admit when I'm proven wrong. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope you can come! I'll share more details as we get closer.

As for the vacuum restrictions, I'm guessing that they are put in the line from the ported vacuum fitting on the carb, so has some vacuum from when you are driving and as you stop the vacuum drops slowly until it goes to zero. And if the coolant gets too high then the manifold vacuum comes in to speed the engine up.

I hope you can come! I'll share more details as we get closer.

As for the vacuum restrictions, I'm guessing that they are put in the line from the ported vacuum fitting on the carb, so has some vacuum from when you are driving and as you stop the vacuum drops slowly until it goes to zero. And if the coolant gets too high then the manifold vacuum comes in to speed the engine up.

Hmm.. The vac diagram from the 1984 shows that the VREST sits between manifold vacuum and distributor when cold. And as far the ramp up/down slowing if I recall correctly in my trials, VREST doesn't provide that benefit. Its bi-directional, vacuum ramp up and downs using my hand pump were pretty much instantaneous. When vacuum was disconnected, drop to Zero was instantaneous. In electrical analogy, if this was a capacitor its very low capacity i.e. not able to hold vacuum except what is needed to smooth out high frequency fluctuations.

The emissions book did have a description page for every vacuum device out there so I did observe that the 3 port switch could be connected to ported vacuum when cold. I'll probably scan all of those pages at some point and send a .pdf.

Vac_Diag.png.814a27d56412dffb9c8b723bc17508c5.png

Hmm.. The vac diagram from the 1984 shows that the VREST sits between manifold vacuum and distributor when cold. And as far the ramp up/down slowing if I recall correctly in my trials, VREST doesn't provide that benefit. Its bi-directional, vacuum ramp up and downs using my hand pump were pretty much instantaneous. When vacuum was disconnected, drop to Zero was instantaneous. In electrical analogy, if this was a capacitor its very low capacity i.e. not able to hold vacuum except what is needed to smooth out high frequency fluctuations.

The emissions book did have a description page for every vacuum device out there so I did observe that the 3 port switch could be connected to ported vacuum when cold. I'll probably scan all of those pages at some point and send a .pdf.

Yes, it does show that it goes to manifold vacuum. And if it is almost instantaneous in dropping the vacuum then I don't understand how nor why it works.

As for the emissions book, if it is the Engine Emissions/Diagnosis book then we have the 82 and 86 versions on the site. I'd welcome another, but if you scan it please do so at 600 dpi if you can. I run an optical character recognition program against the files so people can search for text and 600 dpi makes that work best.

Yes, it does show that it goes to manifold vacuum. And if it is almost instantaneous in dropping the vacuum then I don't understand how nor why it works.

As for the emissions book, if it is the Engine Emissions/Diagnosis book then we have the 82 and 86 versions on the site. I'd welcome another, but if you scan it please do so at 600 dpi if you can. I run an optical character recognition program against the files so people can search for text and 600 dpi makes that work best.

It is a small orifice. It damps pulses even if you think it has no effect, it does or they wouldn't have bothered.