Bullnose Forums

460 Straight up Timing Chain upgrade

Edit: it's not shear. It's torsion....

Those bolts are corroded AND seized.

Corrosion provides beach head nucleation sites for cracks.

You're going to put Teflon on and in the threaded holes.

This will seal water in the pump where it belongs.

I used stainless because it doesn't corrode and seize in the threads,and the shanks CAN'T corrode when there's a less noble metal like aluminum or iron available.

They come out much smoother when the shanks are smooth as well....

OK that makes perfect sense :nabble_smiley_good: Aligned with everything. I'll add this to my knowledge base. Use stainless steel when corrosion resistance is more critical vs. intrinsic strength.

Ford picked Grade 5 bolts back in the day. Wonder if they use stainless steel in this day and age.

OK that makes perfect sense :nabble_smiley_good: Aligned with everything. I'll add this to my knowledge base. Use stainless steel when corrosion resistance is more critical vs. intrinsic strength.

Ford picked Grade 5 bolts back in the day. Wonder if they use stainless steel in this day and age.

They won't go to the expense of stainless.

Grade 5 is lower carbon than 8 and therefore less prone to corrosion.

The work hardening also makes G8 less ductile than lesser grades.

Stainless is essentially cake frosting until you get into the aerospace stuff like Nimonic, Hastalloy or Inconel.

You should ask Bill about this stuff....

He spent decades doing material testing at Newport News shipyard.

They won't go to the expense of stainless.

Grade 5 is lower carbon than 8 and therefore less prone to corrosion.

The work hardening also makes G8 less ductile than lesser grades.

Stainless is essentially cake frosting until you get into the aerospace stuff like Nimonic, Hastalloy or Inconel.

You should ask Bill about this stuff....

He spent decades doing material testing at Newport News shipyard.

On my way to lunch I went ahead and traded those grade 8 bolts for stainless steel .. I’ll use them for the areas exposed to water.. I’m doing it your way :nabble_smiley_good:

On my way to lunch I went ahead and traded those grade 8 bolts for stainless steel .. I’ll use them for the areas exposed to water.. I’m doing it your way :nabble_smiley_good:

Do it your way, my friend! :nabble_smiley_good:

Like I said before, I'm not trying to sell anything.

I'm just a materials science geek that wants to share the reasoning behind my choices.

Occasionally I come off as preachy or abrasive, unfortunately...:nabble_smiley_blush:

You must understand, having a kid somewhere on the spectrum.

"Truth's" are very important. Diplomacy is not often our strong suit. 😉

Do it your way, my friend! :nabble_smiley_good:

Like I said before, I'm not trying to sell anything.

I'm just a materials science geek that wants to share the reasoning behind my choices.

Occasionally I come off as preachy or abrasive, unfortunately...:nabble_smiley_blush:

You must understand, having a kid somewhere on the spectrum.

"Truth's" are very important. Diplomacy is not often our strong suit. 😉

It’s my way from now !! and I’m not too far away from the spectrum so I get it.

I started my career in a semiconductor fab and the popular saying was “In God we trust, all others must bring data”. I was kind of groomed in that setting so I’m very data driven.

It’s my way from now !! and I’m not too far away from the spectrum so I get it.

I started my career in a semiconductor fab and the popular saying was “In God we trust, all others must bring data”. I was kind of groomed in that setting so I’m very data driven.

You're in Semi?!?!

I'm right in the heart of what used to be an epicenter, with IBM all-over (HQ in Armonk) and ASML up the road in Wilton.

I really geek on that stuff. Process, optics, dopants, whatever....

A bunch of the guys in my rocket club used to work at research & prototyping for BigBlue in Yorktown heights and Fishkill.

I really like a Taiwanese guy on YouTube, Jon.

His channel is Asianometry.

Some good insights into the direction of fab in particular.

Guy has an incredibly dry and quirky sense of humor, that I enjoy.

I got that "He's one of us" right away.. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You're in Semi?!?!

I'm right in the heart of what used to be an epicenter, with IBM all-over (HQ in Armonk) and ASML up the road in Wilton.

I really geek on that stuff. Process, optics, dopants, whatever....

A bunch of the guys in my rocket club used to work at research & prototyping for BigBlue in Yorktown heights and Fishkill.

I really like a Taiwanese guy on YouTube, Jon.

His channel is Asianometry.

Some good insights into the direction of fab in particular.

Guy has an incredibly dry and quirky sense of humor, that I enjoy.

I got that "He's one of us" right away.. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

That’s really cool !! Been In semiconductor forever. Electrical is what I learned in school but I work with materials, processes but learned the fundamentals on the job.

I tend to over analyze and over plan my projects and it takes me longer but often prevents re-dos.

I have a question though. In the galvanic series, if stainless steel is more noble than the “engine block”, wouldn’t the block end up getting sacrificial i.e. thread’s possibly getting eaten up in a corrosion event??

That’s really cool !! Been In semiconductor forever. Electrical is what I learned in school but I work with materials, processes but learned the fundamentals on the job.

I tend to over analyze and over plan my projects and it takes me longer but often prevents re-dos.

I have a question though. In the galvanic series, if stainless steel is more noble than the “engine block”, wouldn’t the block end up getting sacrificial i.e. thread’s possibly getting eaten up in a corrosion event??

Yes, chrome is high on the scale, but PST is an anerobic sealant.

No oxygen and no electrolyte means there can't be corrosion in the threads.