Bullnose Forums

460 Straight up Timing Chain upgrade

Wow. I thought I knew most of the history of these motors. F600 429 maybe?

390/429 medium trucks use a really weird thermostat housing, a governed carb and a long snout on the crank that you can't fit into a pickup.

I believe they were also all internally balanced.

For sure there was never a car 429 that was external.

And I don't recall ever seeing a tomahawk on any bucket trucks that I had to fix.

The plate looks like it is glued on right there!

If it's pitted buy the FRPP backing plate for ~$35.

I already told you, use the ∆ mark and you'll be fine.

I'm not really sure why you didn't just get one of the other chains we discussed..

Maybe The plate on there, I do hope thats the case. But I couldn't find anything!! I'll scrub everything well tomorrow and send more pics.

(The pics above show the original timing set...)

Cloyes own catalog shows C3079X as the recommended chain for BBF. The other with only 1 keyway that we discussed doesn't show up on their catalog, probably discontinued. Rockauto shows to have it, but its probably old stock or possibly returned.

I am paying about $40 for the set with 3 keyways. It has 2 extra key ways that I will ignore. I will install it with the key way with the timing mark straight over it.

Jim, I think you're looking at the pic wrong. In middle of the picture, that large hole should be cover by the plate, if it were there. Pic is at weird angle so that makes it difficult. And I would like to see what a plastic 460 timing gear looks like. And what in the world was it used in?

Maybe I am half blind from arc flash and I'm looking at my phone in the dark, sitting here in my truck?

There definitely needs to be a backing plate.

I think I gave the # in the other thread. (Which is one reason it frustrates me no end to chase stupid questions around the forum again and again)

Plastic gears were in every 460 off the factory floor, except some super rare homogulation special race cars with the SCJ's

Ford used them to meet noise limits.

It was plastic teeth bonded to a alloy gear blank.

You don't really need me to go find pics for you, do you?

There might be some in my 2008 engine swap thread on FTE

I think I'm still all paid up at Flickr.

Jim, I think you're looking at the pic wrong. In middle of the picture, that large hole should be cover by the plate, if it were there. Pic is at weird angle so that makes it difficult. And I would like to see what a plastic 460 timing gear looks like. And what in the world was it used in?

Maybe I am half blind from arc flash and I'm looking at my phone in the dark, sitting here in my truck?

There definitely needs to be a backing plate.

I think I gave the # in the other thread. (Which is one reason it frustrates me no end to chase stupid questions around the forum again and again)

Plastic gears were in every 460 off the factory floor, except some super rare homogulation special race cars with the SCJ's

Ford used them to meet noise limits.

It was plastic teeth bonded to a alloy gear blank.

You don't really need me to go find pics for you, do you?

There might be some in my 2008 engine swap thread on FTE

I think I'm still all paid up at Flickr.

No I believe you. It's just that I'd never heard of it. Probably because the aftermarket pieces are always metal, AFAIK. (Could be wrong there too though).

A thermostat is there to warm up the engine to operating temperature.

It has zero effect once fully open.

Make sure your shroud fits well.

Use the stock fan & clutch.

I have walked this path many, many times.

(Not w/ my truck, but with others that had "better ideas")

Ford has a huge and professional engineering department.

They do extensive testing in all conditions.

The 460 was their workhorse engine from the '70's until '97...

The stock fan clutch on the 460 is "heavy duty" so no issues there. I will keep whats stock.

I had a 1/2 ton truck with the 351m, which after installing an RV cam (Yes I was going to tow but never did ever!) and new timing set, ran hot.. Low-end torque was awesome but The gauge would creep past halfway while stopped in traffic. I probably should have upgraded the radiator to a 3 row or something but instead went with a heavy duty fan-clutch that I pulled off my 460 truck. It cured the idling heat creep issue... But again, on a stock truck I am big fan of keeping everything stock. On a modified truck.... I'm not sure.

I'm building an animal here (460 in a 78 Bronco) that never existed in the wild! Hoping it will gel with the flock!

The stock fan clutch on the 460 is "heavy duty" so no issues there. I will keep whats stock.

I had a 1/2 ton truck with the 351m, which after installing an RV cam (Yes I was going to tow but never did ever!) and new timing set, ran hot.. Low-end torque was awesome but The gauge would creep past halfway while stopped in traffic. I probably should have upgraded the radiator to a 3 row or something but instead went with a heavy duty fan-clutch that I pulled off my 460 truck. It cured the idling heat creep issue... But again, on a stock truck I am big fan of keeping everything stock. On a modified truck.... I'm not sure.

I'm building an animal here (460 in a 78 Bronco) that never existed in the wild! Hoping it will gel with the flock!

This is why the 460 distributor is controlled by the thermal switch in the water neck.

If the truck starts to overheat while stopped in traffic, the three port valve switches from restricted vacuum to manifold vacuum, and the increased timing revs up the pump and fan.

It's not digital, but it's not wrong...

No I believe you. It's just that I'd never heard of it. Probably because the aftermarket pieces are always metal, AFAIK. (Could be wrong there too though).

Yeah, nobody in the aftermarket used plastic gears, but dealers had to.

They couldn't install a part that would violate federal regulations at the date of manufacture.

Sometimes a garage would buy parts from the dealership.

If so they'd get a plastic gear and retarded hyvo chain too.

All 460's came with an eccentric.

Hot Fuel trucks have a block off plate on the timing case.

Here is a pic with both entities side by side. I don’t see a backing plate, if it does exist I hoping I’m just not seeing it.

933080D8-7CD2-4C68-A3C7-05FC47D30A0A.jpeg.01777e6839acc3f86e854a96fa040925.jpeg

This is why the 460 distributor is controlled by the thermal switch in the water neck.

If the truck starts to overheat while stopped in traffic, the three port valve switches from restricted vacuum to manifold vacuum, and the increased timing revs up the pump and fan.

It's not digital, but it's not wrong...

Wow, did not know that!! I will look more into this.

I'll see how "Big Blue 2WD" is hooked up and copy that. Still has the emissions and all vacuum connection on it so I'm sure it will be a good reference.

Can i use the same thermal switch that will control EGR ?

Edit : Just realized that the Edelbrock carb is on "Big Blue 2WD".. i.e. its ported vacuum is connected to distributor.

Here is a pic with both entities side by side. I don’t see a backing plate, if it does exist I hoping I’m just not seeing it.

Nope

It's missing entirely. :nabble_smiley_what:

That's why it was overheating and the idiots pulled the thermostat hoping it would help.

But nothing is going to help the water pump push if the impeller is not closed off.