Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, but the actual question is if you would use it if I filled out the whole table and took both the pdf and Excel off the library page?

Or, maybe I should ask if you think other mobile users would? I know some do as I've directed them there from Facebook and they have found what they were looking for. So would the new table be a good improvement?

I'm already conditioned to avoid it at all costs. (learned helplessness)

And since I "don't go there" I don't know that I see any value.

I'm mostly here to dig up parts and offer personal experience to users that have questions or trepidation.

Because I have the recall that I do, I can serve photos, diagrams and empirical evidence (both good, and bad examples)

I realize I'm the exception, not the norm, but if I have a place that I can be of use I'll continue to do so.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim & Jeff, plus any others that have mobile devices they use here, please take a look at the Test Page For Tables.

Gary, I’m lost.

I don’t find the Test Page For Tables…

Maybe two ships passing in the night?

Jeff - You didn't click the link in the email nor read above that I moved it under Truck Shows. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, it was causing Jim a problem so I had to move it so it didn't hang down. Too many menu items.

I'm already conditioned to avoid it at all costs. (learned helplessness)

And since I "don't go there" I don't know that I see any value.

I'm mostly here to dig up parts and offer personal experience to users that have questions or trepidation.

Because I have the recall that I do, I can serve photos, diagrams and empirical evidence (both good, and bad examples)

I realize I'm the exception, not the norm, but if I have a place that I can be of use I'll continue to do so.

Jim - In my case, I usually (90%?) come to the Forum when I have a minute or two… Often looking at my phone between two other jobs.

The remaining 10% is after a day at work, can take some time to access the Forum via my computer.

I like to think that, in 2024, you and I aren’t alone to come here (mainly) from a mobile device.

Gary - Question: If the Forum migrates to another platform, do I understand that the Library itself will remain « out of it »?

I mean: You’re not losing your time trying to fix something that could migrate soon?

Jim - In my case, I usually (90%?) come to the Forum when I have a minute or two… Often looking at my phone between two other jobs.

The remaining 10% is after a day at work, can take some time to access the Forum via my computer.

I like to think that, in 2024, you and I aren’t alone to come here (mainly) from a mobile device.

Gary - Question: If the Forum migrates to another platform, do I understand that the Library itself will remain « out of it »?

I mean: You’re not losing your time trying to fix something that could migrate soon?

I'm usually sitting in a tow truck in the middle of the night! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Not optimal viewing conditions. But it gives me something to do, trying to help others.

Today is a nice day for February. I've about ordered all the 'little bits' for my axle, but I'm not going to expose it if I can't finish.

My brother asked me out to dinner tonight. There might be a surprise, but I guess I'll see, and hopefully tomorrow is a sunny day as well. 😁

I'm usually sitting in a tow truck in the middle of the night! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Not optimal viewing conditions. But it gives me something to do, trying to help others.

Today is a nice day for February. I've about ordered all the 'little bits' for my axle, but I'm not going to expose it if I can't finish.

My brother asked me out to dinner tonight. There might be a surprise, but I guess I'll see, and hopefully tomorrow is a sunny day as well. 😁

Jeff - No, I won't be losing anything. The only thing that will change will be the forum itself.

So, how does the table approach work for on your Mini? Can you use it in landscape?

Jim - Glad you are getting this on order. And hope your dinner goes well. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

So, how does the table approach work for on your Mini? Can you use it in landscape?

Lol, I completely missed your instruction about the new menu place for this test! Sorry!

Well, I would say this test is almost perfect.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I have a suggestion: Why not title each link with just 2 digit year, same as its column title? Even if the table is best viewed in Landscape orientation, it would allow the Portrait mode to be more comfortable too.

Oh, and take a look to the column titles, some bold characters remain there.

Here are iPhone 13 Mini Portrait and Landscape results:

IMG_9686.jpg.21f24d3e12d9d523e74c694647ada4f2.jpg

IMG_9687.jpg.193d5e6d3de80c2cdbbef1d964419f80.jpg

Lol, I completely missed your instruction about the new menu place for this test! Sorry!

Well, I would say this test is almost perfect.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I have a suggestion: Why not title each link with just 2 digit year, same as its column title? Even if the table is best viewed in Landscape orientation, it would allow the Portrait mode to be more comfortable too.

Oh, and take a look to the column titles, some bold characters remain there.

Here are iPhone 13 Mini Portrait and Landscape results:

Yes, I think two characters/numbers is enough. That will make it smaller and work better.

As for the bold characters, we will probably have several things like that to clean up, but y'all can tell me what you see on your screens as it might not show on mine. :nabble_smiley_good:

One of the forums I've been a longtime member of migrated from vBulletin to Discourse. A bit of a learning curve, but it wasn't a bad migration and once everyone got used to it, it works great.

Another one migrated from vBulletin to Xenforo (forum ownership change). A bit jarring, but after some migration fixes, works well enough.

Both are good platforms. Discourse is a lot more powerful (from what I've seen) but with power comes a learning curve. And it's GPL'd (free open source)... they make their money off support, not the software itself.

Xenforo's main boon is that it was more-or-less forked off vBulletin; it was made by ex-jetsoft employees and they actually got sued over it (which was settled out-of-court). Since we never had vBulletin, that doesn't mean much.

Pick thy poison.

Larry, and anyone else that uses Discourse, tell us about posting pics, please. Does it rotate pics w/o you doing it manually? Can you do it manually?

Larry, and anyone else that uses Discourse, tell us about posting pics, please. Does it rotate pics w/o you doing it manually? Can you do it manually?

The reply "popup" window has an upload button for files. Pictures auto-load inline to the post, similar to nabble.

Here's me simulating a reply with a test picture uploaded:

Screenshot_from_2024-02-29_19-17-39.png.76b954b779670bd7f1db44282c08f53c.png

it Auto-sizes for efficient viewing (that pic is relatively high resolution), with three scaling options. No rotation option though.

Note that it has real-time previewing... no need to manually hit "preview" and then scroll over a bunch of stuff.

---

While we're talking about the posting of threads and replies, one unique thing is how one quotes things... as the "quote" button is for manually typing a quote box (like quoting a book or the like). Instead, all one has to do is highlight the text in the post one wants to quote and then a couple of buttons pop up to quote or share. I think it also works across different threads in different browser tabs if one has a new thread/reply editor open already.