Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok, good. We can adjust parameters as we find them, so just let me know what issues you find as I may be able to fix them. That way we can make a better comparison.

I tried to post a video on phpBB.

No success, I think.

And it’s way far more limited than InVision, in which we can post directly from the device (no imbedding, no hyperlink).

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to post a video on phpBB.

No success, I think.

And it’s way far more limited than InVision, in which we can post directly from the device (no imbedding, no hyperlink).

Yes, I just replied to your attempt to post. I think I found a way to add on to phpBB to allow Youtubes to be easily included in a post, but having not done it I'm not sure.

And then, while trying to post a link to where I found that info I couldn't get the link to work. Let me say that another way. I wanted it to look like "this link" and instead I got "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... ]this link". :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Yes, I just replied to your attempt to post. I think I found a way to add on to phpBB to allow Youtubes to be easily included in a post, but having not done it I'm not sure.

And then, while trying to post a link to where I found that info I couldn't get the link to work. Let me say that another way. I wanted it to look like "this link" and instead I got "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... ]this link". :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Jeff - Go look here on InVision. I just literally dropped your Youtube's URL into the post and it was there.

Jeff - Go look here on InVision. I just literally dropped your Youtube's URL into the post and it was there.

Gary, I don’t have time right now to test, but seems that there is some third party extension (plug-in?) that enables video posting in phpBB:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2648224

EDIT: I don’t think it allows to simply post a video as InVision does. Seems that it allows to embed “supported” sites, such as YouTube.

Gary, I don’t have time right now to test, but seems that there is some third party extension (plug-in?) that enables video posting in phpBB:

EDIT: I don’t think it allows to simply post a video as InVision does. Seems that it allows to embed “supported” sites, such as YouTube.

Jeff - I'll see what I can do today re checking out the video bit on phpBB.

And I just posted a 19 second video directly from my iPhone on InVision without going to Youtube. It worked perfectly but it is 35Mb in size and all you can get on InVision appears to be 48.83 Mb, which translates to maybe 26 seconds. And with people like Jim having limited bandwidth that may not be a good option. Still, it works.

Jeff - I'll see what I can do today re checking out the video bit on phpBB.

And I just posted a 19 second video directly from my iPhone on InVision without going to Youtube. It worked perfectly but it is 35Mb in size and all you can get on InVision appears to be 48.83 Mb, which translates to maybe 26 seconds. And with people like Jim having limited bandwidth that may not be a good option. Still, it works.

Jeff - I lied. It didn't work "perfectly". I posted it by attaching it and then clicking "Insert". But what actually posted was the file available to download. You can see that here.

But that's at odds with your results of posting a video directly from your phone. Right? Can you try it again and let me know how you did it? Maybe even download my file and post it to prove it isn't the file?

Jeff - I've read and explored and finally found how to add extensions:

1. Download an extension from phpBB’s extensions database

2. Unzip the extension and upload it to the ext/ directory of your phpBB board

3. Enable the extension, here in the Extensions manager

I can do the first step and half of the 2nd one, but don't know where to upload as that is on Chris' server. So I'm going to leave that to him.

But you are right, it does Youtube but not videos from your phone w/o using Youtube. However, my attempt to do that on InVision this morning wasn't successful, so please recreate it so we know it is still working.

Jeff - I've read and explored and finally found how to add extensions:

1. Download an extension from phpBB’s extensions database

2. Unzip the extension and upload it to the ext/ directory of your phpBB board

3. Enable the extension, here in the Extensions manager

I can do the first step and half of the 2nd one, but don't know where to upload as that is on Chris' server. So I'm going to leave that to him.

But you are right, it does Youtube but not videos from your phone w/o using Youtube. However, my attempt to do that on InVision this morning wasn't successful, so please recreate it so we know it is still working.

I'll get that installed for you guys today

Ok, installed (I'm assuming this is the one? https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/mediaembed). Looks like you have to use the [media] bbCode to embed.

Thanks! And yes, that's the one Jeff found and the one I read up on. I'll go give it a try.

By the way, I've changed the phpBB joining process to require the joiner to confirm he has control of the email address he is registering. That was turned off as account activation was set to "immediate". Hope that's ok.