Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff - I understand what you are saying, and I fully agree that membership needs to be free. I have no plans to require a fee of any kind to participate.

As for contributions, I'd hope to keep them confidential. There are mechanisms for donating, both through a Weebly plug-in as well as via InVision - should we choose to use InVision.

Also, all costs and funding will be kept track of via a page on the website. And funds will be held in a separate bank account from our personal one. No mixing of funds and complete transparency.

Dane & Jeff - We've not decided to use InVision, but I think you are voting for moving this Nabble forum over to some other platform, meaning migrate the whole thing. And if we have a major upfront cost that you'll help defray it. Is that what you are saying?

What I hope we can do is to find the best fit for us, meaning a platform that allows my friend Jay to create the migration tool such that we don't have a cost for migration. And that it has a reasonable monthly cost. So we will keep looking. But we are making progress.

All - I'd appreciate hearing from others. So don't stop now. :nabble_waving_orig:

You should look into what the red square forum uses for a platform. Im a member their and their site is amazing. They have a spot were you can donate, classifieds, and navigating through the site is so easy. Also joining red square is pretty easy.

You should look into what the red square forum uses for a platform. Im a member their and their site is amazing. They have a spot were you can donate, classifieds, and navigating through the site is so easy. Also joining red square is pretty easy.

Could you give me a link to that forum? I found two different ones when I looked.

Could you give me a link to that forum? I found two different ones when I looked.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/

Here is a link to the red square forum site.

Thanks. I'll check it out. But if you could ask on there what forum package they are using it might help. Sometimes it is hard to tell from the outside.

I haven’t heard anything back but could this be it?IMG_2058.png.f3d47c2c3aaa4d15c962a16f9dc4eb51.png

It say powered by

Invision community at the bottom?:nabble_anim_confused:

I haven’t heard anything back but could this be it?

It say powered by

Invision community at the bottom?:nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, that is almost certainly it. And InVision is our most recently-tested platform. It seems to work nicely, but the conversion or migration from our current forum to it is the problem. If we run on their server they have to do the migration and that is going to be about $2K.

I have a friend who says he wants to do it, but that means we'd have to run on someone else's server and buy the InVision software plus pay an annual maintenance fee. And that approach gets pricey quite quickly.

So we are still thinking about this. Chris/ckuske is traveling but when he gets back and settled we need to figure out our next move.

Yes, that is almost certainly it. And InVision is our most recently-tested platform. It seems to work nicely, but the conversion or migration from our current forum to it is the problem. If we run on their server they have to do the migration and that is going to be about $2K.

I have a friend who says he wants to do it, but that means we'd have to run on someone else's server and buy the InVision software plus pay an annual maintenance fee. And that approach gets pricey quite quickly.

So we are still thinking about this. Chris/ckuske is traveling but when he gets back and settled we need to figure out our next move.

That’s quite pricey :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

That’s quite pricey :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

It is pricey. But I've already had several volunteer to help and it might be worth it to have a supported platform.

Anyway, Chris and I are talking in the background on what to do next. Stay tuned... :nabble_anim_working: