Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well done, Jeff! No, I hadn't found that!

Chris is working in the background, which explains the New New Bullnose Test Forum in the menu. I think that's what he asked for.

Yep, I'm using that page to test iframe redirects - meaning if you go to a thread by the direct URL (paste it into the address bar, click on it in an email, etc) it will send you back to the main site but ask the iframe (the forum) to load that specific thread/post into view.

I didn't want to tell anyone to Go Away! this time :nabble_smiley_cool:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I'm using that page to test iframe redirects - meaning if you go to a thread by the direct URL (paste it into the address bar, click on it in an email, etc) it will send you back to the main site but ask the iframe (the forum) to load that specific thread/post into view.

We REALLY appreciate all the work you are doing, Chris!!!! :nabble_anim_handshake: :nabble_anim_claps:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

No problem, I’m a bit stubborn so I’m still here.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks so much for the time and energy you put in this journey!

Trust me, this would not be possible without Chris. :nabble_smiley_good:

Trust me, this would not be possible without Chris. :nabble_smiley_good:

Don't know if it is just me, but since Chris added a second "New new Bullnose Test Forum" Menu, the upper part of the windows is hidden.

I can force show it again if I narrow my browser window, that forces the upper menus to be grouped in a menu icon.

A.png.1e9d650fbd5da41e449e7b6716609f71.png

B.png.f6da2ba43a2ad119eac3b8d94c96ddc8.png

C.png.7e324f62f5f5391afa246bb1def3fe32.png

Don't know if it is just me, but since Chris added a second "New new Bullnose Test Forum" Menu, the upper part of the windows is hidden.

I can force show it again if I narrow my browser window, that forces the upper menus to be grouped in a menu icon.

Chris didn't add the new page, I did. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, it was causing the menus to wrap. So I made these changes:

• I added a new non-clickable item in the menu called Test Forums

• Moved both test forum pages under the Test Forum menu item

• But the drop-down indicator on the Test Forum menu item was just enough to still cause the menu to wrap so Manuals & Literature became Library. That reduced the # of characters in the menu so it seems to work.

:nabble_anim_working:

Chris didn't add the new page, I did. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, it was causing the menus to wrap. So I made these changes:

• I added a new non-clickable item in the menu called Test Forums

• Moved both test forum pages under the Test Forum menu item

• But the drop-down indicator on the Test Forum menu item was just enough to still cause the menu to wrap so Manuals & Literature became Library. That reduced the # of characters in the menu so it seems to work.

:nabble_anim_working:

Fixed!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Fixed!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Good!

As soon as I made that new page and it showed up in the menu below everything else I knew I had to fix it. But didn't find a way for a while as everything I did let it keep wrapping down. Then I realized why - the little dropdown arrow made the menu line one character too long. Had been thinking about changing Manuals & Literature to Library for some time, and that was the time.

Good!As soon as I made that new page and it showed up in the menu below everything else I knew I had to fix it. But didn't find a way for a while as everything I did let it keep wrapping down. Then I realized why - the little dropdown arrow made the menu line one character too long. Had been thinking about changing Manuals & Literature to Library for some time, and that was the time.
Well folks, I think it is time that we slow down and decide if InVision is really what we want to do. That's because I'm starting to get a view to what the costs will be.

There are basically three ways we can do this: (Boy, do I miss the ordered list function on Invision!)

1. InVision Service w/o Nabble Migrated: We could spend $50/mo to run on the InVision servers and just lock the Nabble forum so no one can post there. But we'd still have all of our history and could search it - until Franklin turns Nabble off, which surely will happen some day.

2. InVision Service with Nabble Migrated: InVision does not let individuals migrate their own data to their servers, and I just got their estimate for doing the migration as "starting at $1850". So we'd probably spend $2000 up front and then at least $50/mo, which isn't bad monthly but is a huge cost initially.

Standalone Service with Nabble Migrated: A friend of mine says he can migrate the Nabble information if we can get the InVision file layout. But InVision doesn't allow you to migrate your own data to their servers, so you have to run InVision on a standalone server. And you have to buy their package at $500 one time and then pay $150/year for their support. My limited experience running the Amazon Webhosting Service is that the servers will cost $35 - $50/mo, so all up we'd be looking at $500 one time and $750/year.

Obviously we are talking real money here, so I'd like your thoughts about this. Chris hasn't quite gotten "there" with the redirect, so let's step back for a few days to discuss this. Perhaps we don't need our Nabble forum to be migrated to the new service? Maybe InVision isn't what we want? What are your thoughts?

Well folks, I think it is time that we slow down and decide if InVision is really what we want to do. That's because I'm starting to get a view to what the costs will be.

There are basically three ways we can do this: (Boy, do I miss the ordered list function on Invision!)

1. InVision Service w/o Nabble Migrated: We could spend $50/mo to run on the InVision servers and just lock the Nabble forum so no one can post there. But we'd still have all of our history and could search it - until Franklin turns Nabble off, which surely will happen some day.

2. InVision Service with Nabble Migrated: InVision does not let individuals migrate their own data to their servers, and I just got their estimate for doing the migration as "starting at $1850". So we'd probably spend $2000 up front and then at least $50/mo, which isn't bad monthly but is a huge cost initially.

Standalone Service with Nabble Migrated: A friend of mine says he can migrate the Nabble information if we can get the InVision file layout. But InVision doesn't allow you to migrate your own data to their servers, so you have to run InVision on a standalone server. And you have to buy their package at $500 one time and then pay $150/year for their support. My limited experience running the Amazon Webhosting Service is that the servers will cost $35 - $50/mo, so all up we'd be looking at $500 one time and $750/year.

Obviously we are talking real money here, so I'd like your thoughts about this. Chris hasn't quite gotten "there" with the redirect, so let's step back for a few days to discuss this. Perhaps we don't need our Nabble forum to be migrated to the new service? Maybe InVision isn't what we want? What are your thoughts?
I don't know a lot about this, but I like option 2.You have amassed an excellent amount of information for these trucks. Sounds easier to me to get it moved.I will donate to help with costs.