Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok, it is apparently time for true confessions: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! I had assumed that the picture below is wrongly-oriented and that smart forum software would orient it such that the seats would face downward. Is that incorrect? When I open the file I don't see orientation in the list of info.

But I've edited the original file to reduce the size, although leaving the metadata. And then when I uploaded it to Nabble I didn't use any resizing.

So, Larry, are you saying Nabble correctly rotates images if we don't use the resize buttons? Why isn't my image rotated so the seats face down?

Get over it

Nabble can't handle a picture from a wristwatch because the software is made for a 1980's potato.

These are probably artificially imposed limits so the pathetic server doesn't melt down.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get over it

Nabble can't handle a picture from a wristwatch because the software is made for a 1980's potato.

These are probably artificially imposed limits so the pathetic server doesn't melt down.

I’m not trying to understand Nabble as it is a lost cause. I’m trying to understand how to test other forums to see if they auto-rotate pics. I thought I understood but apparently don’t.

Ok, it is apparently time for true confessions: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! I had assumed that the picture below is wrongly-oriented and that smart forum software would orient it such that the seats would face downward. Is that incorrect? When I open the file I don't see orientation in the list of info.

But I've edited the original file to reduce the size, although leaving the metadata. And then when I uploaded it to Nabble I didn't use any resizing.

So, Larry, are you saying Nabble correctly rotates images if we don't use the resize buttons? Why isn't my image rotated so the seats face down?

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Small.thumb.jpg.a652687e00e4e5408a9a5189029ce5ca.jpg

Yes, it seems that the issue (for me at least) seems to only be when resize is used.

As for your pic, it's not showing as rotated when downloaded. Metadata says no rotation.

Here's it rotated with Metadata set appropriately:

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Small.thumb.jpg.a652687e00e4e5408a9a5189029ce5ca.jpg

Info on exif rotation: http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html

Yes, it seems that the issue (for me at least) seems to only be when resize is used.

As for your pic, it's not showing as rotated when downloaded. Metadata says no rotation.

Larry, I have another question about Discourse.

With Nabble, a new post in a “sub” topic is rapidly hidden (so, easy to not be seem) if a new post is made.

Ok, I’m not clear…

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Let’s take the example of the main category «Marketplace».

A member posting a new request will not be seen if another member starts also another thread.

How’s Discourse behavior about “new post alert”?

Larry, I have another question about Discourse.

With Nabble, a new post in a “sub” topic is rapidly hidden (so, easy to not be seem) if a new post is made.

Ok, I’m not clear…

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Let’s take the example of the main category «Marketplace».

A member posting a new request will not be seen if another member starts also another thread.

How’s Discourse behavior about “new post alert”?

If Gary didn't have over half the front page cluttered up with pinned topics you wouldn't have this problem...

Maybe increase your page view to 50 topics? 🧐

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Small.thumb.jpg.0233ff9ee2da67b32666bcd4adc69410.jpg

Larry - That helps a lot. Thanks!

And I think I understand how Nabble is working, although you cannot upload a pic with the same name in the same post and try to use re-sizing in one and not in the other. Nabble gets confused, which confuses me. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, the first pic of the seats, at the bottom, is my pic which you set the metadata to reflect the wonky rotation. And it was uploaded to Nabble w/o resizing. The second pic is the first pic saved with a different name so as not to confuse Nabble, and then uploaded using "big" resizing. And your rotated image gets put "right" when there's no resizing, but doesn't when there is resizing. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I'm still slightly confused. When I look at the pics in File Explorer I see that the first two are rotated wonkily and yours (Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Larrys) isn't. If I understand correctly there's no EXIF info in the first two indicating that they are not rotated correctly, but there is in yours. Correct?

If that is right then I'm not armed with a file I can use to test other forum software - Larry's. But what I don't understand is how my pic doesn't have the rotation info. I took it on my iPhone and then sent it via email to this tablet and then saved it. But in sending it I probably let Apple downsize it, so might that be where the EXIF info was stripped?

Seats_With_Rotation_-_Rotated.thumb.jpg.2b175311733e8ee86ce227641c941ae9.jpg

No Sizing:

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Small.thumb.jpg.0233ff9ee2da67b32666bcd4adc69410.jpg

Big Size:

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Larrys.thumb.jpg.7c6187f3f81a415c23761e5525a9f319.jpg

Larry - That helps a lot. Thanks!

And I think I understand how Nabble is working, although you cannot upload a pic with the same name in the same post and try to use re-sizing in one and not in the other. Nabble gets confused, which confuses me. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, the first pic of the seats, at the bottom, is my pic which you set the metadata to reflect the wonky rotation. And it was uploaded to Nabble w/o resizing. The second pic is the first pic saved with a different name so as not to confuse Nabble, and then uploaded using "big" resizing. And your rotated image gets put "right" when there's no resizing, but doesn't when there is resizing. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I'm still slightly confused. When I look at the pics in File Explorer I see that the first two are rotated wonkily and yours (Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Larrys) isn't. If I understand correctly there's no EXIF info in the first two indicating that they are not rotated correctly, but there is in yours. Correct?

If that is right then I'm not armed with a file I can use to test other forum software - Larry's. But what I don't understand is how my pic doesn't have the rotation info. I took it on my iPhone and then sent it via email to this tablet and then saved it. But in sending it I probably let Apple downsize it, so might that be where the EXIF info was stripped?

No Sizing:

Big Size:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Chris has the Discourse forum up, and you can see my most recent post here. But in the screenshot below you can see what I saw when I added the pic to the post. Here are the things I noticed:

• Popup Menu: When you click the image insertion icon you get a popup menu letting you go select the image you want to insert. In Windows this is File Explorer. This saves a step over Nabble as that takes two clicks there.

• Uploading: When you Open (at least that's what it is for Windows) it immediately uploads the file instead of having to go back to another menu like at Nabble. What I don't know what the file size limit is and what happens when you hit the limit. I'll have to explore that when I have admin access.

• Orientation: I've not been given the option to re-orient a pic, although when the metadata is there regarding orientation it seems to correctly orient things on its own.

So Discourse has promise!

Discourse_Screenshot_Of_File_Orientation__Sizing.thumb.jpeg.8b35dc0c7b200237fb9457cf9234d016.jpeg

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Chris has the Discourse forum up, and you can see my most recent post here. But in the screenshot below you can see what I saw when I added the pic to the post. Here are the things I noticed:

• Popup Menu: When you click the image insertion icon you get a popup menu letting you go select the image you want to insert. In Windows this is File Explorer. This saves a step over Nabble as that takes two clicks there.

• Uploading: When you Open (at least that's what it is for Windows) it immediately uploads the file instead of having to go back to another menu like at Nabble. What I don't know what the file size limit is and what happens when you hit the limit. I'll have to explore that when I have admin access.

• Orientation: I've not been given the option to re-orient a pic, although when the metadata is there regarding orientation it seems to correctly orient things on its own.

So Discourse has promise!

It's light years ahead of what we have now.

It's light years ahead of what we have now.

One of the things that annoys me the most about this forum, is that it opens the reply in a new tab, always!

I would complain about how it behaves from Gmail, but that's them, so I just long click and 'open in browser'

One of the things that annoys me the most about this forum, is that it opens the reply in a new tab, always!

I would complain about how it behaves from Gmail, but that's them, so I just long click and 'open in browser'

I know what you mean. On my iPhone I wind up with a gillion tabs open and then have to go back and close them.

I don't think that Discourse does that, but went back to see and it appears Chris has it down at present so I can't check. But my remembrance is that you have a reply button that opens up the editor window right there.

Anyway, that's something to check on platforms we test. :nabble_smiley_good: