Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is pricey. But I've already had several volunteer to help and it might be worth it to have a supported platform.

Anyway, Chris and I are talking in the background on what to do next. Stay tuned... :nabble_anim_working:

UPDATE: Chris is going to put phpBB up and we'll be able to test both it and InVision in parallel - at least for a bit while the month's rent is still ticking on InVision. So please stand by to test and let us know what you think.

Meanwhile I've created a spreadsheet where we can score what we observe in the testing. You can see that at Platform Comparison under Test Forums. (You may have to refresh your browser to see it in the menu.) And there's a Costs tab where I'm attempting to quantify all the costs associated with the website and forum.

On the features to test bit, I need your input ASAP. What are you looking for? How would you rate that feature, meaning Must Have, Ought To Have, or Nice To Have? We need to know what we are looking for.

:nabble_waving_orig:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: Chris is going to put phpBB up and we'll be able to test both it and InVision in parallel - at least for a bit while the month's rent is still ticking on InVision. So please stand by to test and let us know what you think.

Meanwhile I've created a spreadsheet where we can score what we observe in the testing. You can see that at Platform Comparison under Test Forums. (You may have to refresh your browser to see it in the menu.) And there's a Costs tab where I'm attempting to quantify all the costs associated with the website and forum.

On the features to test bit, I need your input ASAP. What are you looking for? How would you rate that feature, meaning Must Have, Ought To Have, or Nice To Have? We need to know what we are looking for.

:nabble_waving_orig:

I really don't care, as long as I can load pic's without having to jump through hoops, create links without having to back out some ridiculous imbedded http prefix and the damn "server is over capacity" or timeouts that dump my painfully crafted response (complete with links and images that I have to open on separate pages on my phone, then skip back and forth)

Also, it would be REALLY NICE if the forum didn't open in a separate page for the reply window.

Maybe all that is a big ask, but it would make my remaining days much easier.

I really don't care, as long as I can load pic's without having to jump through hoops, create links without having to back out some ridiculous imbedded http prefix and the damn "server is over capacity" or timeouts that dump my painfully crafted response (complete with links and images that I have to open on separate pages on my phone, then skip back and forth)

Also, it would be REALLY NICE if the forum didn't open in a separate page for the reply window.

Maybe all that is a big ask, but it would make my remaining days much easier.

Jim - Thanks for the response. I think we have you covered, but you tell me. And in case you can't see it, we have these in Must Haves:

• Pics: Picture posting that is easy - and preferably that auto-rotates the pic prior to posting.

• Links: Easy to post links

• No server outages or over-capacity messages

And this in Nice To Have:

• Not open a new tab in the browser when making a reply

• Ability to save draft replies

Do those address your issues? If not, what changes need to be made?

Jim - Thanks for the response. I think we have you covered, but you tell me. And in case you can't see it, we have these in Must Haves:

• Pics: Picture posting that is easy - and preferably that auto-rotates the pic prior to posting.

Are you going to post a link so we can check them out and give some feedback?

I'm a simple man.

I don't ask for much.

Yeah: the photos, the links, and obviously we won't have an issue with an Nabble server anymore.....

I want to say Thank You, for all the effort you and Chris have put into this. :nabble_anim_handshake:

On the features to test bit, I need your input ASAP.

Testing the blog feature would be nice.

If such blog can be structured in “chapters” or sub-subjects, this could be nice for posting a rebuild storyline, for example.

Or a trip story, split in visited places.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

On the features to test bit, I need your input ASAP.

Testing the blog feature would be nice.

If such blog can be structured in “chapters” or sub-subjects, this could be nice for posting a rebuild storyline, for example.

Or a trip story, split in visited places.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Welcome, Jim. But thanks really goes to Chris.

Jeff - I added "Blog, or some ability to put together a story w/o interruption. Lock/unlock?" to Ought To Haves. But does that capture what you were saying?

On the chapters, are you saying that something like Big Bro could have a main thread or blog and then beneath that could have chapters on the 3G alternator, etc? In other words, tell me more?

And I've added some Nice To Haves about editing and emoticons.

Welcome, Jim. But thanks really goes to Chris.

Jeff - I added "Blog, or some ability to put together a story w/o interruption. Lock/unlock?" to Ought To Haves. But does that capture what you were saying?

On the chapters, are you saying that something like Big Bro could have a main thread or blog and then beneath that could have chapters on the 3G alternator, etc? In other words, tell me more?

And I've added some Nice To Haves about editing and emoticons.

Yep Gary, exactly what I mean.

Could have been a nice feature for «Big Blue’s Transformation» encyclopedia too.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Splited into “subjects”, as Body, Suspension, Electrical, Interior (then sub subjects as Dash, Seats, etc), Engine (splited in sub-subjects if required)…

EDIT:

Niot sure, but maybe such “structured main thread” could be lighter than a “all in one infinite thread”.

You know that Big Blue’s Transformation” is a gold

mine, but it begins to be heavy and difficult to consult and navigate through.

Yep Gary, exactly what I mean.

Could have been a nice feature for «Big Blue’s Transformation» encyclopedia too.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Splited into “subjects”, as Body, Suspension, Electrical, Interior (then sub subjects as Dash, Seats, etc), Engine (splited in sub-subjects if required)…

EDIT:

Niot sure, but maybe such “structured main thread” could be lighter than a “all in one infinite thread”.

You know that Big Blue’s Transformation” is a gold

mine, but it begins to be heavy and difficult to consult and navigate through.

Jeff - There are times in Big Blue's transformation that I wanted to document what I was doing w/o comment, but usually I was looking for input, suggestions, etc.

So my thinking is that I might go back and transform the Word document I have, which is embedded in the first post in that thread, and put the info from the document directly in a post or posts. That's because several have said the embedded document doesn't work for them.

I just tested that on our InVision test forum by copying the text from the file called Big Blue's Spec Card and pasting it into a reply. Go check it out here.