Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't know a lot about this, but I like option 2.

You have amassed an excellent amount of information for these trucks. Sounds easier to me to get it moved.

I will donate to help with costs.

I have two commentaries:

1- Forum membership

• IMHO, I think it is important to keep free access to members, it's in the Forum "family oriented" DNA. It's not everybody who can afford to put money to become and stay a member of this community.

• So, I suggest that any disbursements would be on a voluntary basis. I will, for sure!

• And maybe should we keep each participation amount confidential? It could avoid some "competition" or "frustration" among contributing members?

• Now, how the participation amounts will be collected? This implies a minimal infrastructure, payment system (PayPal?), email communication, etc. It has to be simple and easy...

2- Scenario

Option 2 for me. Bunch of dollars to migrate, but after it will be 600$/year. I think it would be easy to find 12 apostles among us to take in charge one month each. For the migration costs, you could do a survey among members, to figure out if we can collect enough money (I suggest that we email you directly the amount we figure to donate).

Does it make sense?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two commentaries:

1- Forum membership

• IMHO, I think it is important to keep free access to members, it's in the Forum "family oriented" DNA. It's not everybody who can afford to put money to become and stay a member of this community.

• So, I suggest that any disbursements would be on a voluntary basis. I will, for sure!

• And maybe should we keep each participation amount confidential? It could avoid some "competition" or "frustration" among contributing members?

• Now, how the participation amounts will be collected? This implies a minimal infrastructure, payment system (PayPal?), email communication, etc. It has to be simple and easy...

2- Scenario

Option 2 for me. Bunch of dollars to migrate, but after it will be 600$/year. I think it would be easy to find 12 apostles among us to take in charge one month each. For the migration costs, you could do a survey among members, to figure out if we can collect enough money (I suggest that we email you directly the amount we figure to donate).

Does it make sense?

Jeff - I understand what you are saying, and I fully agree that membership needs to be free. I have no plans to require a fee of any kind to participate.

As for contributions, I'd hope to keep them confidential. There are mechanisms for donating, both through a Weebly plug-in as well as via InVision - should we choose to use InVision.

Also, all costs and funding will be kept track of via a page on the website. And funds will be held in a separate bank account from our personal one. No mixing of funds and complete transparency.

Dane & Jeff - We've not decided to use InVision, but I think you are voting for moving this Nabble forum over to some other platform, meaning migrate the whole thing. And if we have a major upfront cost that you'll help defray it. Is that what you are saying?

What I hope we can do is to find the best fit for us, meaning a platform that allows my friend Jay to create the migration tool such that we don't have a cost for migration. And that it has a reasonable monthly cost. So we will keep looking. But we are making progress.

All - I'd appreciate hearing from others. So don't stop now. :nabble_waving_orig:

Jeff - I understand what you are saying, and I fully agree that membership needs to be free. I have no plans to require a fee of any kind to participate.

As for contributions, I'd hope to keep them confidential. There are mechanisms for donating, both through a Weebly plug-in as well as via InVision - should we choose to use InVision.

Also, all costs and funding will be kept track of via a page on the website. And funds will be held in a separate bank account from our personal one. No mixing of funds and complete transparency.

Dane & Jeff - We've not decided to use InVision, but I think you are voting for moving this Nabble forum over to some other platform, meaning migrate the whole thing. And if we have a major upfront cost that you'll help defray it. Is that what you are saying?

What I hope we can do is to find the best fit for us, meaning a platform that allows my friend Jay to create the migration tool such that we don't have a cost for migration. And that it has a reasonable monthly cost. So we will keep looking. But we are making progress.

All - I'd appreciate hearing from others. So don't stop now. :nabble_waving_orig:

You could set up something like patreon.

Sure there's an overhead cost, but they take care of all the currency conversions, monthly subscriptions, annual,one time, it doesn't matter.....

You could set up something like patreon.

Sure there's an overhead cost, but they take care of all the currency conversions, monthly subscriptions, annual,one time, it doesn't matter.....

Thanks, Jim. I didn't know of that. I'll check it out.

no don't change a thing. it works well

I think you are in the minority as the vote currently is 15 to move and 0 not to, although if you vote it'll be 15:1.

You may not be using some of the features that are broken. For instance the ability to email or send private messages between members. This doesn't usually work, and if it does it looks like it didn't. Or the joining process that requires an admin to administer, and even then we don't have a way to require the newbie to accept the guidelines. Plus there's the process to post pictures that frequently requires us to explain it to the newbie.

On top of that the host, Franklin, has asked people to find a new home for their forums, and I suspect he will shut his server down at some point. Given that, I believe it is imperative that we find a new forum platform and migrate to it. And that is where the sticking point currently is - migration, moving what we have here to a new platform in order to keep all the info we've accumulated.

We are in the process of evaluating various packages and at this point have tried four: phpBB; MyBB; Discourse; & InVision. I need to write up what we think we've found, but we thought we wanted to go with InVision and then learned that the migration cost is steep. Several have said they'll help defray that cost, but we don't want to make that decision until we have all the facts, and we are still working on that.