Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fortunately it isn't. I found last night this statement: "XenForo can be made to look like your website and integrate seamlessly." And there was further discussion, not discourse, on how to do that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, there's a downside - as Jeff pointed out there are some tools that help migrate from Nabble to Discourse, but don't appear to be to Xenforo. However, over the last few days I've been helping a guy from church paint the rear bumper on his daughter's Charger, and during that time I explained what we are trying to do regarding the forum. So he explained what he used to do - ETL, which he said stands for Extract Transform Load, which is exactly what we need to move the Nabble forum's data to a new forum. And he'd like to take that project on, assuming we can find the format of whatever platform we choose to use.

So far I've not found anyone who says they know how to migrate from Nabble to Xenforo, but there are plenty who say they migrate from other platforms to Xenforo. So apparently the Xenforo format is a known entity.

But as of this writing we've not given up on Discourse yet. That may happen later today though.

I never meant for Discourse to replace the forum.

Just as a Backpage to the forum...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never meant for Discourse to replace the forum.

Just as a Backpage to the forum...

There are two different packages - Discourse and Discord. From Wikipedia:

• Discourse is an open source Internet forum system. Features include threading, categorization and tagging of discussions, configurable access control, live updates, expanding link previews, infinite scrolling, and real-time notifications.

• Discord is an instant messaging and VoIP social platform which allows communication through voice calls, video calls, text messaging, and media and files.

But Discourse also allows direct messaging, as do many of the packages we are looking at. So I don't think we will need Discord - assuming I understand what it is.

And I did have the young lady whose Charger we were painting show me how she uses Discord. It looked like direct/private messaging mixed with almost a forum layout. There was some structure with threads on some topics, but also a lot of one-on-one messaging.

• Discourse is an open source Internet forum system. Features include threading, categorization and tagging of discussions, configurable access control, live updates, expanding link previews, infinite scrolling, and real-time notifications.

• Discord is an instant messaging and VoIP social platform which allows communication through voice calls, video calls, text messaging, and media and files.

But Discourse also allows direct messaging, as do many of the packages we are looking at. So I don't think we will need Discord - assuming I understand what it is.

And I did have the young lady whose Charger we were painting show me how she uses Discord. It looked like direct/private messaging mixed with almost a forum layout. There was some structure with threads on some topics, but also a lot of one-on-one messaging.

To THIS (Nabble) forum.... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Discord isn't a forum... More akin to slack and MS Teams, only mostly used for non-work activities. Bad fit here...

Discord isn't a forum... More akin to slack and MS Teams, only mostly used for non-work activities. Bad fit here...

We, Chris and I, are in the midst of checking out Xenforo and it is looking very promising. Having said that we've not gotten email to work nor the embedding we need, so Chris is to contact them to see how they can help us.

If we get that sorted then we'll suggest some of y'all give it a spin. But you'll like the ability to edit posts, do background messaging, etc. And it looks like we can set it up so people can join w/o admin help, but will have to agree to our guidelines before doing so.

We, Chris and I, are in the midst of checking out Xenforo and it is looking very promising. Having said that we've not gotten email to work nor the embedding we need, so Chris is to contact them to see how they can help us.

If we get that sorted then we'll suggest some of y'all give it a spin. But you'll like the ability to edit posts, do background messaging, etc. And it looks like we can set it up so people can join w/o admin help, but will have to agree to our guidelines before doing so.

Does Xenforo has a mobile version app?

Does Xenforo has a mobile version app?

Jeff - I'm not aware of any of the forum platforms that has its own app. I'm not saying none do, but I'm not aware of any that do. Having said that, I just checked and there is an app called Xenforo but the reviews are awful and it apparently isn't working. It wasn't written by the Xenforo team, just some individual, and he's not kept it up to date - in spite of it costing $5.99.

However, I've read and posted on our Xenforo test forum from my iPhone and it worked very well so I don't know that you'll need an app. On the other hand, I couldn't load pics taken with my phone's camera and discovered that I had the camera set in highest resolution mode and it was storing pictures in .dng format. I added .dng to the list of formats the forum would accept and it still didn't like anything that was in my library. So I changed my phone to HEIF format and added that to the list on the forum and now I can load up pics I take.

As soon as we get a couple of things sorted I want y'all to use Xenforo and see what you think. Hopefully that will be today. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Jeff - I'm not aware of any of the forum platforms that has its own app. I'm not saying none do, but I'm not aware of any that do. Having said that, I just checked and there is an app called Xenforo but the reviews are awful and it apparently isn't working. It wasn't written by the Xenforo team, just some individual, and he's not kept it up to date - in spite of it costing $5.99.

However, I've read and posted on our Xenforo test forum from my iPhone and it worked very well so I don't know that you'll need an app. On the other hand, I couldn't load pics taken with my phone's camera and discovered that I had the camera set in highest resolution mode and it was storing pictures in .dng format. I added .dng to the list of formats the forum would accept and it still didn't like anything that was in my library. So I changed my phone to HEIF format and added that to the list on the forum and now I can load up pics I take.

As soon as we get a couple of things sorted I want y'all to use Xenforo and see what you think. Hopefully that will be today. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Jeff, and anyone else that wants to try, you can see the test forum here. But in spite of what it says, and I can't figure out how to remove that text, you cannot log on with admin/admin.

You can look around to your heart's content, but I don't think you can register. For some reason it isn't sending the email to confirm your registration. Still, it won't hurt to try. I used the admin function to finish my own registration for Gary Lewis, and could for you if you don't get that email.

We only have this demo for another 6 days, so see what you think, please.

Jeff, and anyone else that wants to try, you can see the test forum here. But in spite of what it says, and I can't figure out how to remove that text, you cannot log on with admin/admin.

You can look around to your heart's content, but I don't think you can register. For some reason it isn't sending the email to confirm your registration. Still, it won't hurt to try. I used the admin function to finish my own registration for Gary Lewis, and could for you if you don't get that email.

We only have this demo for another 6 days, so see what you think, please.

Oh yes, in a post type "Chevrolet" and then click the preview button. :nabble_smiley_evil: