Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know what you mean. On my iPhone I wind up with a gillion tabs open and then have to go back and close them.

I don't think that Discourse does that, but went back to see and it appears Chris has it down at present so I can't check. But my remembrance is that you have a reply button that opens up the editor window right there.

Anyway, that's something to check on platforms we test. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened. I rebooted the server.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. On my iPhone I wind up with a gillion tabs open and then have to go back and close them.

Can’t say about all platforms, but there are some app settings for “open new links” behavior, on Mac for Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

On iPhone, Safari settings enable to setup opening and closing new links:

IMG_9787.jpeg.321e1643a52b82dce4759a3f4d0d4b05.jpeg

IMG_9788.jpeg.60555a5c0541ca49c8dfe0409145d6c1.jpeg

IMG_9789.jpeg.6e70c204aad3d220db38331dffd1dd05.jpeg

Can’t say about all platforms, but there are some app settings for “open new links” behavior, on Mac for Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

On iPhone, Safari settings enable to setup opening and closing new links:

Jeff - Thanks, but I use Chrome on my iPhone and can't find any setting like those on it. Am I missing them?

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened. I rebooted the server.

Chris, don't sweat it, we are testing.

Larry, and anyone else that uses Discourse. What do you see when you are using the forum? Are you on the Discourse forum itself or is it embedded on another site?

I ask because our Nabble forum is currently embedded on our Weebly website such that it looks like it is actually part of the Weebly site. In fact there's a redirect on the Nabble server such that you cannot log on there, you must come to our Weebly site to use the forum.

So we've been looking over the Discourse documentation and embedding one on another website doesn't appear to be possible given this:

Discourse has the ability to embed the comments from a topic in a remote site using a Javascript API that creates an IFRAME. For an example of this in action, check out Coding Horror’s blog 5.4k. The blog is run via Ghost 908 but the comments are embedded from his Discourse forum 858.

One important thing to note with this setup is that users have to navigate to your forum to post replies. This is intentional, as we feel that the posting interface on a Discourse forum is currently much richer than what we could embed via Javascript.

That seems to us to be the death nell for Discourse as I really want the forum to operate as part of the whole website. But do you, any of you, know of anything that would indicate otherwise?

Jeff - Thanks, but I use Chrome on my iPhone and can't find any setting like those on it. Am I missing them?

Well, seems that Chrome has less settings than Safari on iOS.

I only found a setting to automate inactive tab archiving.

IMG_9791.jpeg.b063e449e00d0ed255f69eac228a8ad6.jpeg

IMG_9790.jpeg.70ffc4728af2580bcf5a3b6c75c7e71d.jpeg

Well, seems that Chrome has less settings than Safari on iOS.

I only found a setting to automate inactive tab archiving.

Yep, that's what I found. Thanks.

Chris, don't sweat it, we are testing.

Larry, and anyone else that uses Discourse. What do you see when you are using the forum? Are you on the Discourse forum itself or is it embedded on another site?

I ask because our Nabble forum is currently embedded on our Weebly website such that it looks like it is actually part of the Weebly site. In fact there's a redirect on the Nabble server such that you cannot log on there, you must come to our Weebly site to use the forum.

So we've been looking over the Discourse documentation and embedding one on another website doesn't appear to be possible given this:

Discourse has the ability to embed the comments from a topic in a remote site using a Javascript API that creates an IFRAME. For an example of this in action, check out Coding Horror’s blog 5.4k. The blog is run via Ghost 908 but the comments are embedded from his Discourse forum 858.

One important thing to note with this setup is that users have to navigate to your forum to post replies. This is intentional, as we feel that the posting interface on a Discourse forum is currently much richer than what we could embed via Javascript.

That seems to us to be the death nell for Discourse as I really want the forum to operate as part of the whole website. But do you, any of you, know of anything that would indicate otherwise?

Although I don't know this for sure (I am no web developer!), on the forum in question, Discourse is part of the site and/or run on the same server. Similar to how vBulletin and the like run. Discourse doesn't host anybody's forum... they just make the software and provide paid support for such.

It can be referenced by other sites as you've described, but I don't think it has to be. The feature is more of an "ease of integration" thing (in that case, for enhancing blog comments)... but not required.

The other forum's internal "buttons" all have intra-site links (not just a wad of JavaScript), which, combined with what I do know about the site transition (everything moving to a new server(s) at once, complete site redesign), is why I'm pretty sure it's all integrated as one setup (and if not, they do a very good job of hiding it!).

So, you'd want to run it on the server currently running the site for an optimized setup. But so are the other non-nabble forum systems to at least some degree.

Although I don't know this for sure (I am no web developer!), on the forum in question, Discourse is part of the site and/or run on the same server. Similar to how vBulletin and the like run. Discourse doesn't host anybody's forum... they just make the software and provide paid support for such.

It can be referenced by other sites as you've described, but I don't think it has to be. The feature is more of an "ease of integration" thing (in that case, for enhancing blog comments)... but not required.

The other forum's internal "buttons" all have intra-site links (not just a wad of JavaScript), which, combined with what I do know about the site transition (everything moving to a new server(s) at once, complete site redesign), is why I'm pretty sure it's all integrated as one setup (and if not, they do a very good job of hiding it!).

So, you'd want to run it on the server currently running the site for an optimized setup. But so are the other non-nabble forum systems to at least some degree.

I don't fully understand what you are saying, Larry, but I do think I understand this statement "So, you'd want to run it on the server currently running the site for an optimized setup." We can't do that as our site is on Weebly and they don't offer a hosting service for things like Discourse.

But I'm not sure that even if the two pieces of software were on the same server it would matter. I go back to the statement on Discourse of:

Discourse has the ability to embed the comments from a topic in a remote site using a Javascript API that creates an IFRAME. (Skip the example.)

To me that says that the only way to post on Discourse is to go directly to the forum and not through an embedment via an iframe. You can show the posts elsewhere, but you cannot post from elsewhere.

Am I reading that incorrectly?

I don't fully understand what you are saying, Larry, but I do think I understand this statement "So, you'd want to run it on the server currently running the site for an optimized setup." We can't do that as our site is on Weebly and they don't offer a hosting service for things like Discourse.

But I'm not sure that even if the two pieces of software were on the same server it would matter. I go back to the statement on Discourse of:

Discourse has the ability to embed the comments from a topic in a remote site using a Javascript API that creates an IFRAME. (Skip the example.)

To me that says that the only way to post on Discourse is to go directly to the forum and not through an embedment via an iframe. You can show the posts elsewhere, but you cannot post from elsewhere.

Am I reading that incorrectly?

I don't know. But I think this is an issue you're going to find with most platforms.

I don't know. But I think this is an issue you're going to find with most platforms.

Fortunately it isn't. I found last night this statement: "XenForo can be made to look like your website and integrate seamlessly." And there was further discussion, not discourse, on how to do that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, there's a downside - as Jeff pointed out there are some tools that help migrate from Nabble to Discourse, but don't appear to be to Xenforo. However, over the last few days I've been helping a guy from church paint the rear bumper on his daughter's Charger, and during that time I explained what we are trying to do regarding the forum. So he explained what he used to do - ETL, which he said stands for Extract Transform Load, which is exactly what we need to move the Nabble forum's data to a new forum. And he'd like to take that project on, assuming we can find the format of whatever platform we choose to use.

So far I've not found anyone who says they know how to migrate from Nabble to Xenforo, but there are plenty who say they migrate from other platforms to Xenforo. So apparently the Xenforo format is a known entity.

But as of this writing we've not given up on Discourse yet. That may happen later today though.