Bullnose Forums

Should We Move To A New Forum Platform?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The reply "popup" window has an upload button for files. Pictures auto-load inline to the post, similar to nabble.

Here's me simulating a reply with a test picture uploaded:

it Auto-sizes for efficient viewing (that pic is relatively high resolution), with three scaling options. No rotation option though.

Note that it has real-time previewing... no need to manually hit "preview" and then scroll over a bunch of stuff.

---

While we're talking about the posting of threads and replies, one unique thing is how one quotes things... as the "quote" button is for manually typing a quote box (like quoting a book or the like). Instead, all one has to do is highlight the text in the post one wants to quote and then a couple of buttons pop up to quote or share. I think it also works across different threads in different browser tabs if one has a new thread/reply editor open already.

Thanks, Larry. That really helps. But if there is no way to rotate a pic, much less auto-rotate, then we've not made progress since posting pics is one of the main issues with Nabble. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So even if all the other bells and whistles are as helpful as a pocket on a shirt, I don't think they are going to be enough.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Larry. That really helps. But if there is no way to rotate a pic, much less auto-rotate, then we've not made progress since posting pics is one of the main issues with Nabble. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So even if all the other bells and whistles are as helpful as a pocket on a shirt, I don't think they are going to be enough.

What do you mean by auto-rotate? If you mean the "rotation doesn't match what's in the metadata" issue that we've seen on Nabble before, I haven't seen it with discourse (can't say if this "glitch" is a thing or not). If you mean some sort of context-sensitive AI, I haven't ever seen that on a forum.

Hasn't been an issue for me, but I always fix any rotation issues on the computer/phone I'm posting from before uploading. At least with the auto-preview it's a lot easier to catch in advance.

What do you mean by auto-rotate? If you mean the "rotation doesn't match what's in the metadata" issue that we've seen on Nabble before, I haven't seen it with discourse (can't say if this "glitch" is a thing or not). If you mean some sort of context-sensitive AI, I haven't ever seen that on a forum.

Hasn't been an issue for me, but I always fix any rotation issues on the computer/phone I'm posting from before uploading. At least with the auto-preview it's a lot easier to catch in advance.

By auto-rotate I mean that the forum software reads the metadata, learns how the camera was held, and then automatically rotates the pic so you don't have to rotate it. But there should also be an option to rotate it manually if you want to do so.

From what I've seen Discourse doesn't do that and it doesn't even offer a manual way to rotate them. Right?

Hi Larry!

In fact, Gary is referring to the issue numerous members encounter here with Nabble.

Depending the way the picture is took with a phone, the picture can appear upside down or 90°C turned.

Would be great if the platform has the capability to “read” at the metadata and automatically rotate the picture.

By auto-rotate I mean that the forum software reads the metadata, learns how the camera was held, and then automatically rotates the pic so you don't have to rotate it. But there should also be an option to rotate it manually if you want to do so.

From what I've seen Discourse doesn't do that and it doesn't even offer a manual way to rotate them. Right?

Lol!

Sorry Gary, seems that we were typing simultaneously!

Lol!

Sorry Gary, seems that we were typing simultaneously!

No problem, Jeff. Posting pics is the biggest problem we have on Nabble. So if we move we should move to a platform that fixes that.

Manually rotate, no. Rotate off of metadata, to my knowledge, yes. Seems to work with several "raw" images (from the same shoot as the first example):

Screenshot_from_2024-02-29_20-04-42.png.b2599532f9789c9030a4c1b92a29acb0.png

Edit: to test this, I've uploaded that same picture below:

IMG_20231208_200015.thumb.jpg.76eea3885bba7193f55655cc755eb8ef.jpg

...which loaded correctly. Apparently my phone doesn't have the issue.

I'm more than happy to test with an image file with such an issue. Seems all the images I'm finding on the site have no valid metadata (as they also aren't rotated when downloaded and viewed locally).

Manually rotate, no. Rotate off of metadata, to my knowledge, yes. Seems to work with several "raw" images (from the same shoot as the first example):

Edit: to test this, I've uploaded that same picture below:

...which loaded correctly. Apparently my phone doesn't have the issue.

I'm more than happy to test with an image file with such an issue. Seems all the images I'm finding on the site have no valid metadata (as they also aren't rotated when downloaded and viewed locally).

Here we go. Pulled a mis-rotated pic of Reamer's and used an EXIF editor to change the rotation to what it should have been.

Original unedited image that I downloaded:

Finished.thumb.jpg.f9ff176b7bafd6f196fa7b8d0d51c6b7.jpg

Funny enough, the EXIF metadata indicates no rotation. More on that in a sec.

Here's the edited image (with EXIF data indicating rotation) uploaded direct to Nabble:

Finished.thumb.jpg.f9ff176b7bafd6f196fa7b8d0d51c6b7.jpg

... which is correct. But, I selected "no resize" on the first two. Here's a test of that (resize to 750) in respect to metadata:

Finished_(copy).jpg.f58a8e9ac3b7812efc6fd7613da9352d.jpg

... AHA! The issue is the resize tool, as it stripped the metadata. Nabble's issue isn't that it can't handle metadata when viewing, but that the resize tool strips the data off. Just so you all can see, here's what my laptop (Arch Linux, Gnome GUI) is showing on all three files:

Screenshot_from_2024-02-29_20-32-12.png.6dd73613185d8a718109fe121c9bbb51.png

As for Discourse, here's both metadata'd files, with one resized:

Screenshot_from_2024-02-29_20-35-08.png.986024903dca88e44df3b4ddd24ecc3d.png

Also note that the resize % is in the post text, so it can be changed without re-uploading as a mere text edit.

Finished.jpg_original

Here we go. Pulled a mis-rotated pic of Reamer's and used an EXIF editor to change the rotation to what it should have been.

Here's the edited image (with EXIF data indicating rotation) uploaded direct to Nabble:

... which is correct. But, I selected "no resize" on the first two. Here's a test of that (resize to 750) in respect to metadata:

... AHA! The issue is the resize tool, as it stripped the metadata. Nabble's issue isn't that it can't handle metadata when viewing, but that the resize tool strips the data off. Just so you all can see, here's what my laptop (Arch Linux, Gnome GUI) is showing on all three files:

Also note that the resize % is in the post text, so it can be changed without re-uploading as a mere text edit.

Sherlock, seems that you found an interesting explanation!

Funny, GIF pasting has similar issue.

Nabble looks to have kind of problem with its resize feature.

Ok, it is apparently time for true confessions: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! I had assumed that the picture below is wrongly-oriented and that smart forum software would orient it such that the seats would face downward. Is that incorrect? When I open the file I don't see orientation in the list of info.

But I've edited the original file to reduce the size, although leaving the metadata. And then when I uploaded it to Nabble I didn't use any resizing.

So, Larry, are you saying Nabble correctly rotates images if we don't use the resize buttons? Why isn't my image rotated so the seats face down?

Seats_With_No_Rotation_-_Small.thumb.jpg.978b232c8d50cc7f9b81c46731222c33.jpg