Bullnose Forums

C325 questions

It a valuable gift, but also, I'm sure it is a function of interest in subject. Wife says I don't recall anything that I don't want to :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm constantly, painfully, aware of sounds, smells, textures, and anything incongruous.

I can hear a stumble or a lifter clacking from blocks away.

It's a blessing, and a curse.

It's a function of CPTSD and autism....

As long as you’ve read this far I’ll ask another question. I’ve seen mentioned that the EVTMs and the wiring diagrams (schematics) indicate color/ circuit/ wire size.

I’ve never been able to see ANYWHERE an indication of wire size. Am I missing it somewhere? Has anyone else ever seen wire size?

I have the same question.

Am I missing something, or there is no clear answer for now?

Even the wiring diagram has no mention about the wires gauges (or I don’t understand how to read at it?)

:nabble_anim_confused:

IMG_9603.jpeg.32f57dd0032cc4df95e0596e8c228ff5.jpeg

IMG_9604.thumb.jpeg.428a14a3d2e44f6eb4c88fb9cdcc2010.jpeg

As long as you’ve read this far I’ll ask another question. I’ve seen mentioned that the EVTMs and the wiring diagrams (schematics) indicate color/ circuit/ wire size.

I’ve never been able to see ANYWHERE an indication of wire size. Am I missing it somewhere? Has anyone else ever seen wire size?

I have the same question.

Am I missing something, or there is no clear answer for now?

Even the wiring diagram has no mention about the wires gauges (or I don’t understand how to read at it?)

:nabble_anim_confused:

I’m guessing for now it simply remains one of life’s unsolved mysteries.

But it does segue nicely into another question that I have moving forward on the design and fabrication of some harnesses.

Because of future added devices, Sniper TBI, Quick4 TCM, etc. I’m in the need to find wires to tap into for “Hot in Run” and “Hot in Start & Run”

I’ve identified which wires to tap into/ splice into in the existing harness in the engine bay.

My question becomes;

How often can I splice into one wire?

My concern falls back to my residential wiring knowledge of sizing wire based on amperage of device and/ or distance to device.

But I have no idea the rated amps of either the device that the existing wire is serving nor the rating of the devices that I’d like to add to the circuit.

Where do I go from here in laying out my new harnesses?

I’m guessing for now it simply remains one of life’s unsolved mysteries.

But it does segue nicely into another question that I have moving forward on the design and fabrication of some harnesses.

Because of future added devices, Sniper TBI, Quick4 TCM, etc. I’m in the need to find wires to tap into for “Hot in Run” and “Hot in Start & Run”

I’ve identified which wires to tap into/ splice into in the existing harness in the engine bay.

My question becomes;

How often can I splice into one wire?

My concern falls back to my residential wiring knowledge of sizing wire based on amperage of device and/ or distance to device.

But I have no idea the rated amps of either the device that the existing wire is serving nor the rating of the devices that I’d like to add to the circuit.

Where do I go from here in laying out my new harnesses?

Get yourself a little 6 position fused relay box, like I did

You can choose whatever key on source you like. (If it's going near the battery I suggest the LG/R alternator excite wire)

Use it to trigger relays. They only pull a few milliamps.

Set up as many fused & relayed circuits as you need.

Get yourself a little 6 position fused relay box, like I did

You can choose whatever key on source you like. (If it's going near the battery I suggest the LG/R alternator excite wire)

Use it to trigger relays. They only pull a few milliamps.

Set up as many fused & relayed circuits as you need.

That’s a great idea and one to think seriously about.

But I still like to learn and therefore the question remains.

How does one determine the draw of individual devices when the whole engine bay is disassembled/ inoperable? I’m in the design/ fabricate phase. Is there info somewhere short of calling up each manufacturer and asking for specs?

For instance, in one of your previous posts you linked to a thread where at some point you said that the coil can get really hot. Really hot to me translates into high amperage.

But what is the amperage?

How does one determine the draw of individual devices when the whole engine bay is disassembled/ inoperable? I’m in the design/ fabricate phase. Is there info somewhere short of calling up each manufacturer and asking for specs?

For instance, in one of your previous posts you linked to a thread where at some point you said that the coil can get really hot. Really hot to me translates into high amperage.

Really hot, implies that it's an inductor, and that it's already saturated.

So you've got a coil of wire that's charged up and creating a magnetic flux and it's still on the receiving end of electrons.

Once the coil is saturated it has to do something with that energy so it sheds it as heat.

This is why you find ballast resistors in ignition coil circuits.

To limit the flow of electricity into the coil, when the coil has more dwell time than it needs to reach the full field.

Is this an adequate explanation?

Are there some other terms I should use, or an analogy, or something?

You can't just add up components, because there are always inefficiencies in the system.

In wires, in connectors, in splices & in the components themselves....

So while determining how much power each component uses you can't just add them up and arrive at a number that's meaningful

You're looking at a system, you need to measure the system

You don't need to call up the manufacturer, although having a spec sheet does make it simple.

You just use ohm's law and measure with a meter or a bench power supply *to determine* what that component or circuit consumes