Bullnose Forums

"Bullnose" lawn tractor project

Ifitaintbroke

Just ordered the rebuild kit and another crank. Looks like this is going to cost $500 total, but that's still way cheaper than a new engine.

You can download the IPL from Briggs & Stratton's website. Unfortunately, unlike Kohler, you can't get the service manual that way. I would recommend that be ordered so you have all the correct torque values.

The GT (Garden Tractor) models were initially equipt with Onan twins mounted sideways, flywheel on the left side, PTO on the right. I assume yours is configured that way but with the B&S engine. The GTV (Garden Tractor Varidrive) turned the engine 90° with the flywheel on the back of the engine and the PTO pulley on the front behind the grille.

I also have a sleeve hitch on mine and I built an adapter to mount a 2" hitch ball on the mechanism so I can spot or move my Aluma trailer or tow dolly with it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download the IPL from Briggs & Stratton's website. Unfortunately, unlike Kohler, you can't get the service manual that way. I would recommend that be ordered so you have all the correct torque values.

The GT (Garden Tractor) models were initially equipt with Onan twins mounted sideways, flywheel on the left side, PTO on the right. I assume yours is configured that way but with the B&S engine. The GTV (Garden Tractor Varidrive) turned the engine 90° with the flywheel on the back of the engine and the PTO pulley on the front behind the grille.

I also have a sleeve hitch on mine and I built an adapter to mount a 2" hitch ball on the mechanism so I can spot or move my Aluma trailer or tow dolly with it.

I have the factory service manual. On this tractor, the pto is in the front, and the flywheel at the wheel. It has the six speed manual transaxle. Varidrive is a hydrostatic transaxle, correct?

I have the factory service manual. On this tractor, the pto is in the front, and the flywheel at the wheel. It has the six speed manual transaxle. Varidrive is a hydrostatic transaxle, correct?

No, varidrive is a variable ratio belt drive system. Front belt runs from the rear side (flywheel) of the engine, down to a pair of idlers, one a V style the other flat. From there it runs to a dual pulley with a floating center (originally may have had a spring to bias the center in one direction). The other side of the "variator" has the belt that drives the AYP 3 speed transaxle.

I will pretty well bet your has a hi-lo shift on that 3 speed transaxle.

No, varidrive is a variable ratio belt drive system. Front belt runs from the rear side (flywheel) of the engine, down to a pair of idlers, one a V style the other flat. From there it runs to a dual pulley with a floating center (originally may have had a spring to bias the center in one direction). The other side of the "variator" has the belt that drives the AYP 3 speed transaxle.

Looks like you have a project on your hands :nabble_smiley_evil:

I dont know if you know of this web site or if they would have anything that may help you but give it a look over. https://www.mytractorforum.com/

I have a John Deere 445 garden tractor that I bought when I moved here in NC back in 2015.

It has a 22 hp V-Twin water cooled fuel injected Kawasaki.

Tractor has more options than my 81 F100 pickup LOL

The side covers were broken when I got it but got worst over time and last few years ran with out them.

Over the last month I have given it some much needed love.

Replaced the leaking front crank seal, the side covers,hood, grille and painted the tins.

I also upgraded the head lights with LED rock crawling lights in place of the 1156 bulbs.

Tractor looks brand new and dont want to use it and get it dirty LOL

Back when I first got it.

Tractor20Trailer002.jpg.f09d8b6de458fdfeba5fdf86b8e5338d.jpg

Dave ----

Yes, it has the hi-low lever on the "passenger" side. I'm looking at porting information on these engines. Seems like I just can't leave well enough alone! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Looks like you have a project on your hands :nabble_smiley_evil:

I dont know if you know of this web site or if they would have anything that may help you but give it a look over. https://www.mytractorforum.com/

I have a John Deere 445 garden tractor that I bought when I moved here in NC back in 2015.

It has a 22 hp V-Twin water cooled fuel injected Kawasaki.

Tractor has more options than my 81 F100 pickup LOL

The side covers were broken when I got it but got worst over time and last few years ran with out them.

Over the last month I have given it some much needed love.

Replaced the leaking front crank seal, the side covers,hood, grille and painted the tins.

I also upgraded the head lights with LED rock crawling lights in place of the 1156 bulbs.

Tractor looks brand new and dont want to use it and get it dirty LOL

Back when I first got it.

Dave ----

That looks like a good place. The All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum is where I'm getting most of my info. Them boys are crazy!

Yes, it has the hi-low lever on the "passenger" side. I'm looking at porting information on these engines. Seems like I just can't leave well enough alone! :nabble_smiley_happy:

One of the lab supervisors at Newport News Shipbuilding built racing engines for a "stock" class using a B&S 5 hp single. He used a lot of the old Flathead tricks. He also designed and manufactured a boring setup for small engines, E-Z Bore Inc. www.ezbore.net

One of the lab supervisors at Newport News Shipbuilding built racing engines for a "stock" class using a B&S 5 hp single. He used a lot of the old Flathead tricks. He also designed and manufactured a boring setup for small engines, E-Z Bore Inc. www.ezbore.net

I used to wonder why people got into small engines because, how is 20hp exciting? But, you can build them SO CHEAP. They're also fun. Super easy to work and, plus you can pick them up and carry them around without a hoist. Well usually you can. When I picked up the Briggs twin, I tripped over a concrete block and fell flat on the ground. The engine landed on my knee. It's been purple and green for a while, but I'm walking normal again. Left a cool circle where the exhaust pipe hit. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I used to wonder why people got into small engines because, how is 20hp exciting? But, you can build them SO CHEAP. They're also fun. Super easy to work and, plus you can pick them up and carry them around without a hoist. Well usually you can. When I picked up the Briggs twin, I tripped over a concrete block and fell flat on the ground. The engine landed on my knee. It's been purple and green for a while, but I'm walking normal again. Left a cool circle where the exhaust pipe hit. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

When you are a kid you could get 3 to 5 hp motors for go karts and mini bikes.

I got into racing go karts that use 5 hp motors.

After blowing one up dad bought a new motor a HD rod and a gasket kit.

Pulled a new motor apart to install the HD rod, lighter flywheel and other safety gear and went racing again.

I would like to build a racing tractor, not a puller but a circle track one :nabble_smiley_evil:

In the fall some of the car shows also have tractors and the garden tractor pullers show up.

When 1 starts everyone goes to it.

Dave ----

When you are a kid you could get 3 to 5 hp motors for go karts and mini bikes.

I got into racing go karts that use 5 hp motors.

After blowing one up dad bought a new motor a HD rod and a gasket kit.

Pulled a new motor apart to install the HD rod, lighter flywheel and other safety gear and went racing again.

I would like to build a racing tractor, not a puller but a circle track one :nabble_smiley_evil:

In the fall some of the car shows also have tractors and the garden tractor pullers show up.

When 1 starts everyone goes to it.

Dave ----

Sounds like great fun. Got my rebuild kit today. Took a piston to my machinist. I went with 0.020 over pistons and 0.010 under rods. The aftermarket rods are supposed to be stronger. Still cast, but stronger. I'm going to try some porting of the block and heads. Interestingly, shaving the head and increasing compression is NOT recommended. If you look at the head, it makes sense. The flow from the bore to the valves is completely in the head. The block is flat (duh). If you shave the head, you are restricting flow from the valves to the combustion chamber. Bad flow with higher compression isn't good. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: