Bullnose Forums

C-322 - Duraspark II distributor connector

Recently, Jim asked me about the NAPA part number for a C-322 Female Connector replacement.

I did replace it in Big Bro, but I didn't remember well what part I used.

I dug in my memory (and pictures) and here I share with you (and mainly for dummies like me) the infos I collected about this famous connector.

So, what are we talking about... Let's begin with a short description.

Here is a general diagram of a Duraspark II system.

The three connectors we're going to discuss are coloured:

• Ignition module: C-323 (orange) and C-321 (green)

• Distributor C-322 (red)

Duraspark_II.jpg.ac93bd82d29867eaff8d415a588ddff7.jpg

Here is a dersciptive table:

CONNECTEURS.thumb.jpg.01f298f02951b64fa59bfb056c93f9a8.jpg

Male connectors:

C-321 and C-323 Male connectors come with the Ignition Module (see above table).

C-322 Male connector comes with the Distributor Stator:

Stator.jpg.7b687ef4c496ec5b4bd4b4d74d1bacce.jpg

NAPA Female connectors:

• C-321: NAPA #UNI-EC72

• C-323: NAPA #UNI-EC127

Note that I saw C-321 priced lower at Home Depot, Car-Pak (#93-7103) and Fastener.Zone (Auveco #20841).

I didn't verified, but accordingly to Fastener.Zone, C-321 Ford part number is supposed to be 3U2Z-14S411-XXA.

OK, let's focus on the famous Female C-322.

I found 3 ways to get it:

1- Painless replacement ignition harness. Here are pictures of the harness, C-321+C-323, and C-322:

Painless-1.jpg.98fe99ea2d501645e9b4ba7b6ea9a5d8.jpg

Painless-2.jpg.b1d56e6343e91867202f89ea00f51114.jpg

Painless-3.jpg.963c37415c8ff3227b5625818b98da43.jpg

2- MSD Performance «Female to Ford Distributor» cable assembly, part #8869.

IMPORTANT: It comes with a 2 wires cable only, so will need to add a third wire.

MSD-Box.thumb.jpg.e18e9c49b533f20123147a01ee162859.jpg

MSD.jpg.8be322d586d66d5dafbd67ae0f884ab0.jpg

Personally, I don't like the Painless and the MSD connectors (they look identical), because they are not sealed so they are exposed to corrosion.

3- My preferred solution: Modify a NAPA C-321 replacement female connector (UNI-EC72), by simply cutting the plastic tabs. C-322 Male is so tight that there is no risk that it will disconnect.

NAPA-Box.jpg.dee01fb94c4c925864a43669653735a8.jpg

NAPA-Cut.thumb.jpg.7d6581b813646febe804a936944ad35d.jpg

Below side by side NAPA and Painless/MSB connectors:

Compare-Front.jpg.c7344336d9ba8b1719c34656d6a04a71.jpg

Compare-Back.jpg.8b3a8ee4303d46abc8841e13cbc2dae0.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the documentation. I was aware of option #1, and it is very expensive. I wasn't aware of option 2. I literally just did option #3, bought the Duraspark version of the harness and cut those tabs off.. Worked really well. Gary probably saw the wiring mess I had on my 78 Bronco.

It was converted over to MSD ignition because the previous owner didn't realize it was just a bad ignition switch and a bad neutral safety swtich so he decided to bypass both of those things and just replace the entire ignition system to something better because the duraspark II kept shutting down on him and never worked well :nabble_anim_crazy: I had to rewire it back to duraspark 2 as most of the MSD components were in shambles, and had to replace all those female connectors.

I had considered an option #4, but dropped it because I wanted to modify the least number of wires and option #3 had no downsides and I had already bought the female connector. Option #4 is to get a 3 pin weather proof connection and modify both the male and female distributor connectors. Any downsides to option #4 ? One downside is that it wouldn't be easily recognizable to a future owner.

option_4.png.d320148b6fe4455c3f4bf465e96fe803.png

Thanks for the documentation. I was aware of option #1, and it is very expensive. I wasn't aware of option 2. I literally just did option #3, bought the Duraspark version of the harness and cut those tabs off.. Worked really well. Gary probably saw the wiring mess I had on my 78 Bronco.

It was converted over to MSD ignition because the previous owner didn't realize it was just a bad ignition switch and a bad neutral safety swtich so he decided to bypass both of those things and just replace the entire ignition system to something better because the duraspark II kept shutting down on him and never worked well :nabble_anim_crazy: I had to rewire it back to duraspark 2 as most of the MSD components were in shambles, and had to replace all those female connectors.

I had considered an option #4, but dropped it because I wanted to modify the least number of wires and option #3 had no downsides and I had already bought the female connector. Option #4 is to get a 3 pin weather proof connection and modify both the male and female distributor connectors. Any downsides to option #4 ? One downside is that it wouldn't be easily recognizable to a future owner.

I try to make my modifications, the few that I do (:nabble_smiley_evil:), such that the parts can be replaced in the future. So I wouldn't want to do #4 as you cannot buy a dizzy with that connector.

I try to make my modifications, the few that I do (:nabble_smiley_evil:), such that the parts can be replaced in the future. So I wouldn't want to do #4 as you cannot buy a dizzy with that connector.

That would be a solid downside. Didn't think of that. But I'm glad I went with option #3.

It seems we need a new tab on the DS-II page Gary! 😉

I agree, and have already been looking for where to put that info. Here are some options:

• Documentation/Electrical/Ignition:

• Documentation/Electrical/Connectors

• Documentation/Electrical/Electrical Connectors

• Documentation/Electrical/Terminals & Connectors

What I'm thinking is that it be mentioned and linked to on the Ignition page, but then I do a full-scale rationalization on the three pages on connectors and get it on there.

Thoughts? Did I miss another page that has DS-II?

I agree, and have already been looking for where to put that info. Here are some options:

What I'm thinking is that it be mentioned and linked to on the Ignition page, but then I do a full-scale rationalization on the three pages on connectors and get it on there.

The "Bullnose Upgrades" page is very important IMO

Gary, I can send you by email all the jpeg’s (full resolution), if you want to place them differently in some other reference tab.