Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Bucket Seats

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the seat bolted in today, but there's still a lot of work to do in order to get them the way I want them. Anyway, here they are bolted in:

For instance, the "latch" for the driver's seat, which I installed on the passenger's side, hits inverter. And I've come to realize that with the tab on the passenger's seat I can't change the angle of the seatback very much as there's not much room to slot it. Given that I think I'll put the driver's seat on the driver's side and vice versa and lock down the passenger's seatback. And I'm going to have to figure out how to put stops in so the passenger's seat isn't slammed back into the inverter. But I think I'll be able to do that by placing a bolt in the track at just the right spot.

Here are the two latches side by side:

Wow the seats look great !! Are you going to paint the brackets underneath factory matte black ?

Wow the seats look great !! Are you going to paint the brackets underneath factory matte black ?

Thanks!

I am going to paint the platform black, although I'm not sure it'll be "matte black". My usual approach is to use POR-15 and while it is tacky coat it with the top coat. That lets the top coat bond with the POR and protects the POR from UV, which turns it white.

I don't know if you've seen how I made it, but you can read about it here: Big Blue's Seat Platform. Pretty simple really, just an angle iron piece and bench seat legs.

Thanks!

I am going to paint the platform black, although I'm not sure it'll be "matte black". My usual approach is to use POR-15 and while it is tacky coat it with the top coat. That lets the top coat bond with the POR and protects the POR from UV, which turns it white.

I don't know if you've seen how I made it, but you can read about it here: Big Blue's Seat Platform. Pretty simple really, just an angle iron piece and bench seat legs.

That’s a great reference for anyone that wants a bucket seat in a single cab, it’s all about timing. I would have totally done that on my truck but I bought bench seat covers and got invested in that.

By matte black I mean the non-gloss finish on factory brackets/hardware. Here is a pic on a red set I have that shows the bracket underneath. I just think non-gloss would draw less attention to the brackets and more to the vinyl.

5D9553AB-5059-4E20-B96A-25F649811608.jpeg.624695d4366e7afe4e410057cb013a1e.jpeg

That’s a great reference for anyone that wants a bucket seat in a single cab, it’s all about timing. I would have totally done that on my truck but I bought bench seat covers and got invested in that.

By matte black I mean the non-gloss finish on factory brackets/hardware. Here is a pic on a red set I have that shows the bracket underneath. I just think non-gloss would draw less attention to the brackets and more to the vinyl.

Yes, it'll not be gloss. But I'm not sure exactly which level of gloss I'll use as I have some paint that I'll use if there's enough of it.

Yes, it'll not be gloss. But I'm not sure exactly which level of gloss I'll use as I have some paint that I'll use if there's enough of it.

WAY back in the day our best match to Ford's satin black was Krylon semi-matte black.

But no one's seen that since '93.

For interior I kinda like the Rustoleum Painters Touch satin black, but it's not quite as flat as the '70's Ford flat if you're looking for concour points.

WAY back in the day our best match to Ford's satin black was Krylon semi-matte black.

But no one's seen that since '93.

For interior I kinda like the Rustoleum Painters Touch satin black, but it's not quite as flat as the '70's Ford flat if you're looking for concour points.

Me? Concour points? They start with each vehicle at 100 and then take away for non-stock parts. My guess is Big Blue's score would be -100. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Seriously though, I just want a paint that "disappears" in the overall scheme. So flat is out as it wasn't used and would look odd. Obviously high-gloss is out, both because it wasn't used for these kinds of things as well as it points out all the flaws, and there are plenty. So a satin or matte is about right as I don't remember seeing eggshell in exterior paints.

I know this is for interior house paints, but Kilz says these are the finishes, in order of decreasing sheen:

• High Gloss: A highly reflective, glass-like finish that’s most durable and easiest to clean.

• Semi-Gloss: A sleek and luminous finish that is mildew, moisture, and wear resistant.

• Satin: A pearl-like finish that’s easy to clean and has moderate durability.

• Eggshell: A soft, velvety finish that covers imperfections while offering some durability.

• Matte: A low-luster finish that’s less durable, but easy to clean, touches up well, and hides minor surface imperfections.

• Flat: A non-reflective finish that touches up well and can hide minor surface imperfections.