Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Bucket Seats

The area is pretty big, so I'd have to do it a hole at a time if I made an impression. But I'm not too worried about the texture. So what I'm thinking of doing is using box tape on the back side and then fill the hole from the outside using a toothpick. I might even be able to put some texture in it as it cures.

I think I'll try that approach on one hole and see how it goes. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Yes, that seems a good plan if you're looking to fill the holes individually.

And, of course, you'll be painting w/SEM afterwards, so minor imperfections aren't a big deal as long as the prep is good and the epoxy hangs on.

Gary, you're old enough to remember those vinyl repair kits that came with a few leather textures and you would iron the sheet over the unvulcanized patching paste, that claimed "invisible repair"?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that seems a good plan if you're looking to fill the holes individually.

And, of course, you'll be painting w/SEM afterwards, so minor imperfections aren't a big deal as long as the prep is good and the epoxy hangs on.

Gary, you're old enough to remember those vinyl repair kits that came with a few leather textures and you would iron the sheet over the unvulcanized patching paste, that claimed "invisible repair"?

Yes, I remember those sheets. Never tried them though.

I think the epoxy will hold, but I'll prep the plastic as if I'm getting ready to paint it before applying the epoxy. That should give it the best possible chance of adhering. Then once I get the new paint I'll prep it again.

Speaking of the new paint, I'm keeping enough of the "old" paint to do the finish coat with on the console. That way even if the new paint is slightly different in color the lid and the console will match.

Yes, I remember those sheets. Never tried them though.

I think the epoxy will hold, but I'll prep the plastic as if I'm getting ready to paint it before applying the epoxy. That should give it the best possible chance of adhering. Then once I get the new paint I'll prep it again.

Speaking of the new paint, I'm keeping enough of the "old" paint to do the finish coat with on the console. That way even if the new paint is slightly different in color the lid and the console will match.

Wife with alcohol and then play the flame of a propane towards her butane lighter over the surface.

This leaves plastic molecules with a higher surface energy to bond to the glue, or for the glue to bond too

There shouldn't be any problem with it coming loose. That stuff is tenacious.

You've seen the kayak video, I'm sure...

*Wipe* ..... *torch or*...... *to them*.........have I mentioned how much I HATE predictive keyboards and AI augmented speech to text? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

It's almost like the first iteration of Dragon, but it shoves it back in, even if you correct it. 🤬

Wife with alcohol and then play the flame of a propane towards her butane lighter over the surface.

This leaves plastic molecules with a higher surface energy to bond to the glue, or for the glue to bond too

There shouldn't be any problem with it coming loose. That stuff is tenacious.

You've seen the kayak video, I'm sure...

*Wipe* ..... *torch or*...... *to them*.........have I mentioned how much I HATE predictive keyboards and AI augmented speech to text? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

It's almost like the first iteration of Dragon, but it shoves it back in, even if you correct it. 🤬

I think your Android is playing games with you. But I know what you are saying. However, here are the instructions directly from West Systems user's manual:

Plastic— Flame treating plastic before applying G/flex epoxy substantially improves

adhesion. Before flame treating, clean plastics (except for polycarbonate) with isopropyl

alcohol to remove contamination. Sand all plastics (including polycarbonate) with 80-grit

sandpaper to provide texture for good adhesion. HDPE (high-density polyethylene) and

LDPE (low-density polyethylene) must be flame treated for good adhesion. ABS and PVC

plastics also benefit from flame treatment. If you are unsure of the type of plastic, it

doesn’t hurt to flame treat.

To flame treat plastic, pass the flame of a propane torch across the cleaned and sanded

plastic surface. Do this quickly, allowing the blue part of the flame to touch the surface,

and keeping the torch moving at a rate of 12 inches per second.

No obvious change takes place but the flame oxidizes the surface and dramatically

improves adhesion. If flame treating a wide area, make multiple passes with the torch

¾" apart. Be careful not to melt or burn the surface.

I think your Android is playing games with you. But I know what you are saying. However, here are the instructions directly from West Systems user's manual:

Plastic— Flame treating plastic before applying G/flex epoxy substantially improves

adhesion. Before flame treating, clean plastics (except for polycarbonate) with isopropyl

alcohol to remove contamination. Sand all plastics (including polycarbonate) with 80-grit

sandpaper to provide texture for good adhesion. HDPE (high-density polyethylene) and

LDPE (low-density polyethylene) must be flame treated for good adhesion. ABS and PVC

plastics also benefit from flame treatment. If you are unsure of the type of plastic, it

doesn’t hurt to flame treat.

To flame treat plastic, pass the flame of a propane torch across the cleaned and sanded

plastic surface. Do this quickly, allowing the blue part of the flame to touch the surface,

and keeping the torch moving at a rate of 12 inches per second.

No obvious change takes place but the flame oxidizes the surface and dramatically

improves adhesion. If flame treating a wide area, make multiple passes with the torch

¾" apart. Be careful not to melt or burn the surface.

😄😆😂🤣

You got me!

I'm dead! 💀

The slide handles for the seats don't have "knobs" on them.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n147098/DS_Seat_Slide_Lever.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n147098/PS_Seat_Slide_Lever.jpg

Gary, I know I am very late, but this Dennis Carpenter knob cannot fit?

IMG_9614.jpeg.d2241ac9bd336cea760b8c865fef8e1e.jpeg

EDIT: Out of stock! :nabble_smiley_blush:

But this part number pops up NOS here and there on the web.

The slide handles for the seats don't have "knobs" on them.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n147098/DS_Seat_Slide_Lever.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n147098/PS_Seat_Slide_Lever.jpg

Gary, I know I am very late, but this Dennis Carpenter knob cannot fit?

EDIT: Out of stock! :nabble_smiley_blush:

But this part number pops up NOS here and there on the web.

Jeff - Thanks. It might fit the passenger's side given the shape. But I don't think it would the driver's side as it is flat. I really don't remember what the tracks came off of, so can't be sure. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I think the Plasti Dip will work well. It won't have the "finished" look the proper knob would, but I think it'll be acceptable.

Jeff - Thanks. It might fit the passenger's side given the shape. But I don't think it would the driver's side as it is flat. I really don't remember what the tracks came off of, so can't be sure. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I think the Plasti Dip will work well. It won't have the "finished" look the proper knob would, but I think it'll be acceptable.

I left some notes , above, for the Lol's...

Your idea of putting some holes through the metal, so it CAN'T slip off is a good one imo.

I left some notes , above, for the Lol's...

Your idea of putting some holes through the metal, so it CAN'T slip off is a good one imo.

Yes, I fully understood what you were trying to say and what was happening. But had I not been au fait with the West Systems instructions, thanks to you, I'd have not twigged. So the explanations weren't needed for me but surely will help the others. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I do intend to drill a few of holes in each arm. While the one on the driver's side has the notches and the coating isn't likely to come off, the one on the passenger's side has nothing to keep it on but adhesion. So a few holes should make a big difference.

It might fit the passenger's side given the shape. But I don't think it would the driver's side as it is flat.

Ok Gary, I got it. They are different style…

There is the « folded up » style:

IMG_9615.thumb.jpeg.5413600cd2fe02d12ecf3e4c7c7aff43.jpeg

IMG_9620.thumb.jpeg.d0914103c337b7489f7ba96b1558c1d1.jpeg

And the « flat » style:

IMG_9617.jpeg.3b372d14feffa9ecde460287cf60dbcb.jpeg

And they all use a retainer clip.

Didn’t find any NOS or used on the web, so a custom made knob is probably a good solution.

:nabble_smiley_good: