Bullnose Forums

FL1A mystery

I have read a comment here and there about whether motorcraft still makes the fl1a. but I have noticed that the last dozen or so I have received do not have the signature ribbing at the end yet have the series of flats like the Fram ph8a. I have been a stickler for using them for many years and I'm doubting their worth now. the main issue I have been having is failure of the anti-drain back. repeatedly on my flareside which I find interesting in itself. but also, on my 4.9. now the flareside gets the most miles by far. and in preparing for a road trip, I changed the oil last night. I did not spill a drop removing the filter. but that was only because in the half hour from getting home the filter was empty. not low, empty. this has happened numerous times and I can tell its failing when I start cold and lifters rattle till oil pressure is up. now I fill the filter, install, then fill engine. same last night. I DID NOT START IT. started this morning with zero rocker noise. this is how it seems to go. we will see how long this takes to start leaking down again.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, Mann-Hummel makes Motorcraft oil filters. I have also heard mention of runs of defective Motorcraft filters, like incompatible anti-drainback seals (too small) and missing bypass valves.

I personally picked up a Purolator Air Filter for my Ranger, which was made by Mann-Hummel, and supposedly in the USA. Stamped into the side of the filter media was "Made In The UAS". If they can't even get the printing on the filter right, I'm not sure they can get assembling filters right either.

I too have been a stickler for Motorcraft for the entire 13 years I've owned my Ranger but am weary of their future when it comes to quality filters.

Interesting!

Purolator makes, or use to make Motorcraft filters from what I've read.

I've always liked Purolator and Motorcraft filters.

Edit, that's right Shawn, I think I read Mann and Hummel were now making them. Disappointing.

Interesting!

Purolator makes, or use to make Motorcraft filters from what I've read.

I've always liked Purolator and Motorcraft filters.

Edit, that's right Shawn, I think I read Mann and Hummel were now making them. Disappointing.

well, I am aware of the drain back issue. and it bothers me when I start my engine and it rattles. does not look good for the engine builder(me). but this time removing an empty filter after just driving into the garage 30 minutes prior is very bothersome. new ones have worked so far. but at this rate i may have do change it annually:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

All I know is that the price of FL-1A tripled this past year at Walmart. Used to be $3, went to $9 overnight. Shelf sticker $3, it rang up as $9 at the register. They let me take a couple more at $3 when this happened. Just checked its over $12 now!!

All I know is that the price of FL-1A tripled this past year at Walmart. Used to be $3, went to $9 overnight. Shelf sticker $3, it rang up as $9 at the register. They let me take a couple more at $3 when this happened. Just checked its over $12 now!!

Sounds about right. How long has it been since you bought a battery?

I remember that... and the same day bulk-ordered Wix filters for $6 a pop (still burning through them, but I have two trucks and a boat that use the FL-1A size filter). Before that though, they were pretty much unobtainium at Walmart (when I found a couple in stock while out-of-state, I nabbed them!)... I guess Ford's supplier couldn't keep up and they had to change suppliers (and justify a jacked up price too apparently). No thanks!

I remember that... and the same day bulk-ordered Wix filters for $6 a pop (still burning through them, but I have two trucks and a boat that use the FL-1A size filter). Before that though, they were pretty much unobtainium at Walmart (when I found a couple in stock while out-of-state, I nabbed them!)... I guess Ford's supplier couldn't keep up and they had to change suppliers (and justify a jacked up price too apparently). No thanks!

I pretty much just use Wix 51515 now (Napa 1515), but was a die-hard FL1A guy for most of my life. I still have at least one full case of FL1As I got back in the mid-90s on the garage shelf. I'm loathe to use them, though, as I'm not sure how much they'd break down in a burning hot and freezing cold shop over 25+ years.