Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

I've had plenty of core plugs fail, and they fail from the inside out. One minute they look new and the next they are leaking.

Since you don't know how good the coolant has been for the last 30+ years...

Gary, I totally agree. If these didn’t look brand spanking new I would as they are easy to replace. Just don’t think these are very old at all. Some of them have paint on them.

9DB1C33A-A356-43C6-B4C3-C4BBF31252A9.jpeg.1ad8057c7d92e5461ef98a04e0ad2dba.jpeg

B2240B88-CA5E-4823-AD31-CA51CE52665C.jpeg.b432d8d79934de8d783ec642b2b0ca41.jpeg

A4FC87C4-1E5A-4A3A-A9DF-B787498D8A8F.jpeg.576143f1a3a9ebe95e0695a8f8f4fb36.jpeg

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The holes in the exhaust ports are always open!

When the engine gets to temp the air pump diverter valve opens, and forces air through the crossover check valve into the back of the heads.

But three and seven or two and five I don't know.... they never fire at the same time, so hot exhaust gets pushed back and forth underneath the carb.

If you have an aluminum intake do not use the turkey pan gasket...

Noted. I have no plans to use aluminum intake at this point. Just don't believe it would buy me a lot for what i'm trying to achieve here. This bronco will be far away from its natural habitat.. will frequent costco parking lots, and maybe basketball practice. That's why I think the oil cooler will be an overkill. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Noted. I have no plans to use aluminum intake at this point. Just don't believe it would buy me a lot for what i'm trying to achieve here. This bronco will be far away from its natural habitat.. will frequent costco parking lots, and maybe basketball practice. That's why I think the oil cooler will be an overkill. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I don't have an oil cooler, and I towed heavy, at speed, over distance. (or used to)

An aluminum intake will save you about 65 lb, just for starters....

And Edelbrock performer non EGR or the old version of the Weiand stealth are worthy upgrades without losing too much velocity or charge ram effect.

I don't have an oil cooler, and I towed heavy, at speed, over distance. (or used to)

An aluminum intake will save you about 65 lb, just for starters....

And Edelbrock performer non EGR or the old version of the Weiand stealth are worthy upgrades without losing too much velocity or charge ram effect.

Yes I will definitely keep the edelbrock non EGR one in mind... I had seen on another post that it would need re-curving the distributor etc. I haven't done that before, so will need to know how to do that.

Lack of oil cooler would mean slightly higher temp and the oil would varnish a bit quicker as well. I think the oil cooler would help increase mileage intervals between oil change if you had a Hotshot rig that you racked up thousands of miles in a week.

Yes I will definitely keep the edelbrock non EGR one in mind... I had seen on another post that it would need re-curving the distributor etc. I haven't done that before, so will need to know how to do that.

Lack of oil cooler would mean slightly higher temp and the oil would varnish a bit quicker as well. I think the oil cooler would help increase mileage intervals between oil change if you had a Hotshot rig that you racked up thousands of miles in a week.

Get real about oil operating temps.

Use diesel oil with a decent detergent package.

Too cool is WAY worse than too hot.

It takes forever for condensation and blow by to cook off.

You need a Crane adjustable advance and the six pack of MrGasket springs.

I'll link Scotties instructions..

Get real about oil operating temps.

Use diesel oil with a decent detergent package.

Too cool is WAY worse than too hot.

It takes forever for condensation and blow by to cook off.

You need a Crane adjustable advance and the six pack of MrGasket springs.

I'll link Scotties instructions..

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

https://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2.html

Perfect !!

And for all the reasons you mentioned, I'm happy to not use a cooler.

Go to jegs and look up the advance.

Find 'technical documentation ' or somesuch and there's a link to the Crane PDF.

Remember, it's NOT a mustang 1/4 miler car (but it IS a Bronco, so maybe?)

I guess it depends if you drive it like you stole it.

Go to jegs and look up the advance.

Find 'technical documentation ' or somesuch and there's a link to the Crane PDF.

Remember, it's NOT a mustang 1/4 miler car (but it IS a Bronco, so maybe?)

I guess it depends if you drive it like you stole it.

In laymans terms, If I didn't do this re-curving and installed an Edelbrock intake, what would be the downside ? I drive slow enough that people usually pass me or honk at me. My wife is even slower. Just never been a fan of gunning it.

In laymans terms, If I didn't do this re-curving and installed an Edelbrock intake, what would be the downside ? I drive slow enough that people usually pass me or honk at me. My wife is even slower. Just never been a fan of gunning it.

Spark knock at cruise and tip in because you have so much advance and no exhaust to richen the mixture under high vacuum.