Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

Regular steel, especially in iron, won't ever weld itself in place.

That's the chrome and nickel...

What kind of bolts are used in newer Aluminum blocks? This is me documenting a lesson learnt on a timing belt job. I know they are torque to yield bolts. Hopefully not stainless steel.. likely Aluminum ?

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/dont-skimp-on-bolt-change-during-timing-belt-job.366108/?post_id=2458605&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-2458605

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of bolts are used in newer Aluminum blocks? This is me documenting a lesson learnt on a timing belt job. I know they are torque to yield bolts. Hopefully not stainless steel.. likely Aluminum ?

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/dont-skimp-on-bolt-change-during-timing-belt-job.366108/?post_id=2458605&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-2458605

I'd imagine 10.9

Not that it's needed, when the aluminum (and even an insert) would pull long before the steel broke.

I'd imagine 10.9

Not that it's needed, when the aluminum (and even an insert) would pull long before the steel broke.

But in that picture you can see clearly that the bolt had begun to stretch and "yield". Surprised it was 10.9 (comparable to grade 8). Don't they alter the metallurgy of TTY (Torque to yield) bolts to yield at a specific torque ?

But in that picture you can see clearly that the bolt had begun to stretch and "yield". Surprised it was 10.9 (comparable to grade 8). Don't they alter the metallurgy of TTY (Torque to yield) bolts to yield at a specific torque ?

You keep saying that, but I don't believe it.

Send it to Bill Vose for testing.

NDT is as simple as sticking it in a STEM

Good point. I'm sure Bill has already tested TTY fasteners... be interested to know if they are known to break with ~lets say 33ft lb torque upon repeated use. I don't have much experience with those fasteners except that one van that needed a timing belt. But I hear all new motors (LS, Godzilla) use these for the heads.

Good point. I'm sure Bill has already tested TTY fasteners... be interested to know if they are known to break with ~lets say 33ft lb torque upon repeated use. I don't have much experience with those fasteners except that one van that needed a timing belt. But I hear all new motors (LS, Godzilla) use these for the heads.

TTY will ALWAYS have a smoothly radiused wasp (or necked) section.

Yes by looking at the grain structure in the affected vs. unaffected region, we should be able to tell !!

So Bill has STEM capability ??

Yes by looking at the grain structure in the affected vs. unaffected region, we should be able to tell !!

So Bill has STEM capability ??

He certainly did!

I know people who have plenty of access.

I know people who have them in their garage!

But I don't know if I want to ask them to bother with a bolt from a truck.

He certainly did!

I know people who have plenty of access.

I know people who have them in their garage!

But I don't know if I want to ask them to bother with a bolt from a truck.

I had an SEM in our lab (or I did until they figured out I was the only one using it and they wanted that space for storage !!) so they got rid of my SEM

I had an SEM in our lab (or I did until they figured out I was the only one using it and they wanted that space for storage !!) so they got rid of my SEM

When my dad worked for AMF Atomics, making the me the rtgs for satellites they used to have to inspect the housings for hydrogen imbrittlement.

Did you know that if you were irradiate a diamond, it will change colors from Yellow to Blue to Pink????