Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

Ordering supplies now from summit.. and need to order fuel line. Either 5/16 or 3/8. Going back the fuel pump.. That is a primary concern for a Bronco indeed. The tank hangs almost above the halfway point of the differential. The goal is to have it as low and close to the tank as possible so the amount of time spent generating a vacuum is minimized and thereby reducing chance of a vapor lock. Supposedly angling up the pump by about 30 degrees also reduces chance of vapor lock. I am planning to mount it on a custom L bracket right beside the tank skid plate, and in front of the "pumpkin"....

Question - will 5/16 or 3/8 line be preferable fuel pump (behind rearend) to carb... ? I think whats on the 78 bronco now is a 5/16 line for the 400 it came with, but i think the 86 460 had a 3/8 supply line if I am not mistaken.

3/8 supply, 5/16 return.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/8 supply, 5/16 return.

I don't really have much to say about electric pumps.

My truck has a mechanical Carter pump on the timing case, buried behind the power steering.

I know Gary is using a return regulator to keep fuel flowing in a loop right up to where it goes into* the carburetor.

This is very similar to the hot fuel handling system employed on later 460s

I don't really have much to say about electric pumps.

My truck has a mechanical Carter pump on the timing case, buried behind the power steering.

I know Gary is using a return regulator to keep fuel flowing in a loop right up to where it goes into* the carburetor.

This is very similar to the hot fuel handling system employed on later 460s

I was, but I've now gone to fuel injection, which has its own regulator and return line.

When I got Big Blue the fuel system was a mess and the way orifice part of the hot fuel handling system was plumbed was awful. So I took the orifice bit out and put a return-style regulator in its place and it worked well.

I was, but I've now gone to fuel injection, which has its own regulator and return line.

When I got Big Blue the fuel system was a mess and the way orifice part of the hot fuel handling system was plumbed was awful. So I took the orifice bit out and put a return-style regulator in its place and it worked well.

"The Giving Truck"... 🤣🤣🤣

I assume the fuel sending unit for the fuel injected one is a perfect match for your tank size ?

I would need to find a sending unit and tank from a fuel injected 33 gal bronco I think to make that work. I'm going to try with what I have now. Low pressure FRAME mounted carb pump with no return fuel option. Vapor lock is a concern for sure....

I've not done a cast iron manifold on a 460, but that trick works on a 351W - although you do have to make sure you lower the manifold "level" with respect to the engine. DAHIK. And since the 460 manifold is HEAVY, that might be a chore.

I modeled a stud based scenario for the intake, with about 6 studs (4 corners and 2 in the middle) and it works rather well. I think 4 would do it, but if 6 makes it better then why not. If Mrs. can help we can get the cast iron down in 1 piece. Just need the distributor out to help with vertical landing.

Man, why didn't I think of that approach before :nabble_smiley_blush:

I assume the fuel sending unit for the fuel injected one is a perfect match for your tank size ?

I would need to find a sending unit and tank from a fuel injected 33 gal bronco I think to make that work. I'm going to try with what I have now. Low pressure FRAME mounted carb pump with no return fuel option. Vapor lock is a concern for sure....

And then you would have to change out the filler neck, and the cubby behind the door in the side of the truck, as discussed with Mat.

It's all the 'little things' that make working on these trucks so "interesting"! 🤣

And then you would have to change out the filler neck, and the cubby behind the door in the side of the truck, as discussed with Mat.

It's all the 'little things' that make working on these trucks so "interesting"! 🤣

Yes, I forgot about that. I've heard the fuel filler breather on those necks work much better vs. Bullnose ones.

I went with a 96 EFI fuel system, meaning tanks, filler hoses, fuel delivery modules (pumps, sending units, and internal switching valves), fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel rails. All of that fit perfectly but required a MeterMatch to interface the sending units to the earlier gauges.

Through 86 Ford ran gauges with a heating coil under a thermometer that was the gauge. And the voltage to make the gauge go to the peg was less than 6v. In 87 that changed and the gauges require a totally different range of voltage, so the sending units are very different. That's the reason for the MeterMatch.

But now I have a system that can easily be maintained as the parts are available off the shelf and at a reasonable price. And the tanks fill easily.