Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to also cross-check with a pre-smog (pre 1972) Lincoln 429 and it pulls up the set below C-3079X

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=904013&cc=1128709&pt=5756&jsn=535

Had no idea that a 88-97 460 used a straight up timing set like a pre-smog era 429

Stock replacement, early, would have been hyvo with plastic teeth on the cam.

So, what's the difference?

The more you know! 🌠

Stock replacement, early, would have been hyvo with plastic teeth on the cam.

The more you know! 🌠

I was wondering what I should do with the fuel pump eccentric, just bolt it back on ? This is an 86 460. I'll be using an electric frame mount fuel pump.

I was wondering what I should do with the fuel pump eccentric, just bolt it back on ? This is an 86 460. I'll be using an electric frame mount fuel pump.

Sure, why not?

It isn't doing any harm in there.

Be sure to get the lowest pressure pump you can find.

460 pumps are speced for a huge amount of fuel! (1gal/min) but most carbs want to see 4psi.

Sure, why not?

It isn't doing any harm in there.

Be sure to get the lowest pressure pump you can find.

460 pumps are speced for a huge amount of fuel! (1gal/min) but most carbs want to see 4psi.

I have bought the Edelbrock 17301, rated for 4-7 PSI. Looks like these pumps like to be mounted at a certain angle, and proximity to tank to reduce chance of vapor lock.

I have bought the Edelbrock 17301, rated for 4-7 PSI. Looks like these pumps like to be mounted at a certain angle, and proximity to tank to reduce chance of vapor lock.

https://www.edelbrock.com/universal-micro-electric-fuel-pump-38-gph-144-lph-gasoline-e85-17301.html

38gph is 2/3 the way there....:nabble_smiley_whistling:

But honestly there's no way a 460 could burn through that much fuel in an hour, unless it was making close to 500hp (and WFO) the whole time.

What concerns me is that they say "gravity fed".

You don't want your fuel pump hanging below your tank.

Especially the extra deep tank of a Bronco...

While this could be okay with a fuel cell mounted higher, in a race car, I don't have any idea how this would limit you.

But, I only read the instructions, I don't interpret them or extrapolate from them.

Both call out "heavy duty" chain.

So, a step below the Street True Roller timing set of old....

The only thing I can think is CI v/s steel gear.

You say it'll be a fun weekend cruiser and not used in anger.

Don't worry about it.....

https://www.edelbrock.com/universal-micro-electric-fuel-pump-38-gph-144-lph-gasoline-e85-17301.html

38gph is 2/3 the way there....:nabble_smiley_whistling:

But honestly there's no way a 460 could burn through that much fuel in an hour, unless it was making close to 500hp (and WFO) the whole time.

What concerns me is that they say "gravity fed".

You don't want your fuel pump hanging below your tank.

Especially the extra deep tank of a Bronco...

While this could be okay with a fuel cell mounted higher, in a race car, I don't have any idea how this would limit you.

But, I only read the instructions, I don't interpret them or extrapolate from them.

That is a primary concern for a Bronco indeed. The tank hangs almost above the halfway point of the "pumpkin". The goal is to have it as low and close to the tank as possible so the amount of time spent generating a vacuum is minimized and thereby reducing chance of a vapor lock. Supposedly angling up the pump by about 30 degrees also reduces chance of vapor lock. I am planning to mount it on a custom L bracket right beside the tank skid plate, and in front of the "pumpkin"....

An aluminum intake is worth it for the weight reduction alone.

I must have gone back and forth about 20 times since yesterday evening but I think I'm going to keep the cast iron.

Cast Iron Cons

- Weight

Cast Iron Pros

- Can use splash pan gasket

- Use EGR and be more readily emissions compliant for the future, if the Bronco later moves to a locality with emissions. I intend to retain all the smog pump hardware as well.

- No need to recurve the distributor. Earlier this week was discussion about how design should be such that parts are readily swappable by with off the shelf components. If re-curving was a need, a possible future owner would not know this.

Aluminum Pros

- 65 lb weight reduction

Aluminum Cons

- $400 !! Especially after talking about the double roller timing set and how much extra I get for just under $50, $400 seems like a lot for not a whole lot in return. If I would get the same performance improvement as with a timing set, I would consider it. Would the weight reduction alone provide that ?

- No EGR. The EGR Edelbrock intake is not available anymore. They must have stopped making it. If I were to spend that kind of money I want Edelbrock as I've always used their products and it would pair with my Edelbrock brand new carb I have already bought.

- No splash pan, and the intake cross-overs are to be blocked off. Can be done but it would be a bit cold blooded. Not a deal breaker.