Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, just do the timing chain.

It will surprise you and launch that little Bronco like someone set it's "tail" on fire.

Alright Jim, you have convinced me to do the timing set! I'm not understanding why it has to be one from an EFI truck ....

Would you be kind enough to just point me to the set to buy ? :nabble_smiley_blush:

How about a Cloyes set ?

Alright Jim, you have convinced me to do the timing set! I'm not understanding why it has to be one from an EFI truck ....

Would you be kind enough to just point me to the set to buy ? :nabble_smiley_blush:

How about a Cloyes set ?

Early* trucks had a hy-vo style chain and nylon cam gear (for noise, but NOT to last. About 75k imo)

Then in '72 emissions dictated the exhaust stayed closed longer, for a more complete burn, and Ford retarded the keyway 4°.(8 crank degrees)

EFI engines run a straight up timing set (crank keyway pointing directly at the cam )

They have a double roller chain from the factory.

Cloyes used to sell a street true double roller for about $45.

Since NONE of these engines have been made in over 25 years they dropped it.

But you can still get a set for '88-'97 that isn't stupid expensive with a whole bunch of keyways you don't need.

Early* trucks had a hy-vo style chain and nylon cam gear (for noise, but NOT to last. About 75k imo)

Then in '72 emissions dictated the exhaust stayed closed longer, for a more complete burn, and Ford retarded the keyway 4°.(8 crank degrees)

EFI engines run a straight up timing set (crank keyway pointing directly at the cam )

They have a double roller chain from the factory.

Cloyes used to sell a street true double roller for about $45.

Since NONE of these engines have been made in over 25 years they dropped it.

But you can still get a set for '88-'97 that isn't stupid expensive with a whole bunch of keyways you don't need.

Gotcha !! How about this one ?

https://www.amazon.com/Cloyes-C-3079X-Double-Roller-Timing/dp/B001EHBYVC