Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n147133/358103FF-FD3B-4592-8052-EA2AA7B91643.jpeg

Rockers and springs are clean as a whistle! :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_anim_jump:

Thanks!! Came from a very clean truck. Either 93k or 193k miles.

With the crossover active you want to keep oil from coking on the bottom of the hot intake and eventually dropping chunks of carbon into the lifter valley.

The pan pretty much solves that....

But aluminum intakes expand far too differently than iron, and a one piece intake gasket will cause leaks (vacuum or water) at each head.

Some intake gaskets have restricted crossover, or you can get them blocked and drill a smaller hole in the sheet metal tabs.

It depends if it's a race car, a lazy weekend cruiser that can warm up in the drive or if you're using it for a daily and just want to turn the key and go.

Since I’m this far an Edelbrock intake isn’t out of the question. Hmm what to do :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

To block or not to block

To valley or not

Aluminum or Cast Iron

This will be a weekend cruiser, maybe drive to work a few days.

Since I’m this far an Edelbrock intake isn’t out of the question. Hmm what to do :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

To block or not to block

To valley or not

Aluminum or Cast Iron

The FIRST thing to do is install a straight up double roller timing set from an EFI truck.

Trust me.... :nabble_smiley_whistling:

:nabble_smiley_super:

To block or not to block

To valley or not

Aluminum or Cast Iron

An aluminum intake is worth it for the weight reduction alone.

You have the intake and pan off.

How far are you from a water pump?

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT put a 460 engine into anything, with a retarded timing set.

I have a complete set for a 460, RV cam, lifters and timing set. For the bronco I just want to get it going asap as it’s overdue. Maybe phase 2 would be all of the above ?? The 460 even in stock form will be the best motor in a bronco ever, more torque (380 Ft lbs) than even the modern Bronco.

I have a complete set for a 460, RV cam, lifters and timing set. For the bronco I just want to get it going asap as it’s overdue. Maybe phase 2 would be all of the above ?? The 460 even in stock form will be the best motor in a bronco ever, more torque (380 Ft lbs) than even the modern Bronco.

I wouldn't put an RV cam in a Bronco.

The stock cam and valve train is much better for the application.