Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

Alright I’ll add an 1 piece oil pan gasket to the mix. I’ve used it before, needs a small resizing of 4 of the washers on the gasket. Be good to check out the pick up tube, oil pump etc.

The lower radiator hose that came out of the bullnose would work I think, and it has a spring already :nabble_smiley_good:

I've had plenty of core plugs fail, and they fail from the inside out. One minute they look new and the next they are leaking.

Since you don't know how good the coolant has been for the last 30+ years...

Alright I’ll add an 1 piece oil pan gasket to the mix. I’ve used it before, needs a small resizing of 4 of the washers on the gasket. Be good to check out the pick up tube, oil pump etc.

The lower radiator hose that came out of the bullnose would work I think, and it has a spring already :nabble_smiley_good:

Fel-pro makes one with the 4 front washers bigger.

You just need to order for an EFI truck.

I've never had core plugs fail on any vehicle that even remotely had decent coolant in it.

The ones inside the bell housing are not any different than the others as far as accessibility is concerned....

On the 302s and 351s, the ones by the exhaust air diversion valve on the driver side seem to rot out from too much heat. My understanding is .. More heat = faster rate of reaction for the corrosion. This 460 manifold doesn’t have the diversion valve… did the 460s have a different intake hot air recirc heater setup ?

On the 302s and 351s, the ones by the exhaust air diversion valve on the driver side seem to rot out from too much heat. My understanding is .. More heat = faster rate of reaction for the corrosion. This 460 manifold doesn’t have the diversion valve… did the 460s have a different intake hot air recirc heater setup ?

There's a port that crosses from one head to the other directly under the carb plenum.

You can get gaskets or intake manifold that block this off, but if you have cold weather you really want it

There's a port that crosses from one head to the other directly under the carb plenum.

You can get gaskets or intake manifold that block this off, but if you have cold weather you really want it

How is the exhaust redirected into the intake on the 460 ? There is no provision for that on the manifolds.

Fel-pro makes one with the 4 front washers bigger.

You just need to order for an EFI truck.

Dang. Didn't know that. I used the Ford Racing 1 piece gasket last time.

Would it be this one ?

Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket OS34507R

Dang. Didn't know that. I used the Ford Racing 1 piece gasket last time.

Would it be this one ?

Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket OS34507R

I don't know the numbers.

I know it's a blue Perma dry gasket.

The timing cover changed when they moved from a front dipstick.

But a lot of the gasket applications are for the '70s cars and stuff with the front sump and the stick in the cover.

Those used all the same size pan bolts

Through the thermactor ports in the heads.

So, the thermactor port in the head is an always-on setup ? or was it vacuum actuated ? .. the 302/351 setup ran only under certain conditions until the coolant reached temp if i recall correctly... If i was to block off the hot air riser on the intake, I would have to remove the exhaust side valve on the 302/351.. Trying to figure out what I need to remove if i decided to block off the intake heat riser ports ?? I have too many questions :nabble_anim_jump:

So, the thermactor port in the head is an always-on setup ? or was it vacuum actuated ? .. the 302/351 setup ran only under certain conditions until the coolant reached temp if i recall correctly... If i was to block off the hot air riser on the intake, I would have to remove the exhaust side valve on the 302/351.. Trying to figure out what I need to remove if i decided to block off the intake heat riser ports ?? I have too many questions :nabble_anim_jump:

The holes in the exhaust ports are always open!

When the engine gets to temp the air pump diverter valve opens, and forces air through the crossover check valve into the back of the heads.

But three and seven or two and five I don't know.... they never fire at the same time, so hot exhaust gets pushed back and forth underneath the carb.

If you have an aluminum intake do not use the turkey pan gasket...