Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I was there, you could still buy the cup plugs for the heads from Ford. DOZZ-6026-B.

:nabble_smiley_good:. That's one to file away! 💡

I was a bit surprised that the local dealer had a half dozen crush collars and sealed pinion nuts on the shelf.**for the short pinion 10.25** (Unless the current trucks still use them)

Counter monkeys are the best!

Encyclopedic knowledge and total recall. :nabble_smiley_good:

**edit**

:nabble_smiley_good:. That's one to file away! 💡

I was a bit surprised that the local dealer had a half dozen crush collars and sealed pinion nuts on the shelf.**for the short pinion 10.25** (Unless the current trucks still use them)

Counter monkeys are the best!

Encyclopedic knowledge and total recall. :nabble_smiley_good:

**edit**

Getting closer to pulling the motor. As much as I am ashamed to admit that I did not pay any attention whatsoever on the donor 460, I must also for “year to year change documentation purposes” mention that the 86 460 is missing the spider inlet tube system altogether. I have observed the very thing also on ‘Big Red’ a 85 460 truck I used to own. Appears the 85+ smog systems used a different smog architecture. More on this after the motor is pulled out. I am also expecting to see a NPT type plug on the back of the "exhaust manifolds" instead of the heads!

C69F7D0F-C196-4B04-A798-DA3343A8F411.jpeg.481928fda6b2223421a9d6c289699ad6.jpeg

Getting closer to pulling the motor. As much as I am ashamed to admit that I did not pay any attention whatsoever on the donor 460, I must also for “year to year change documentation purposes” mention that the 86 460 is missing the spider inlet tube system altogether. I have observed the very thing also on ‘Big Red’ a 85 460 truck I used to own. Appears the 85+ smog systems used a different smog architecture. More on this after the motor is pulled out. I am also expecting to see a NPT type plug on the back of the "exhaust manifolds" instead of the heads!

I don't think the heads changed from the D3TE until the E7TE (EFI) heads that were used beginning in '88.

I do know that they all used the thermactor passages (humps) in the exhaust ports.

I'm interested in what you find!

I don't think the heads changed from the D3TE until the E7TE (EFI) heads that were used beginning in '88.

I do know that they all used the thermactor passages (humps) in the exhaust ports.

I'm interested in what you find!

I crawled under just now (my favorite thing to do!) and it does look like the heads are engaged in the smog system in the back (not the exhaust manifold) with the cross-over style tubes being held down by a bolt as you described. It's just surprising to me how this smog system is configured. No signs of a partial smog delete. It's a pretty original truck. Still has all the emissions components otherwise, even has the original tower style hose clamps everywhere.

I crawled under just now (my favorite thing to do!) and it does look like the heads are engaged in the smog system in the back (not the exhaust manifold) with the cross-over style tubes being held down by a bolt as you described. It's just surprising to me how this smog system is configured. No signs of a partial smog delete. It's a pretty original truck. Still has all the emissions components otherwise, even has the original tower style hose clamps everywhere.

You've got a survivor! :nabble_smiley_good:

All that "smog junk" is very important to those of us that have to test annually.

Darth had both the rear air feed and the "spiders" into the exhaust manifolds. He also had dual air pumps and enough plumbing on top to almost completely hide the intake manifold.

You've got a survivor! :nabble_smiley_good:

All that "smog junk" is very important to those of us that have to test annually.

It was a survivor, until it got in a wreck and got totaled. Hoping the heart and soul of this Bullnose will live in the Bronco :)

It was a survivor, until it got in a wreck and got totaled. Hoping the heart and soul of this Bullnose will live in the Bronco :)

It's a noble fate!

L&L and JBG were both pioneers in your project.

Though most of the ground they once covered can be had cheaper and iterated today.

It's a noble fate!

L&L and JBG were both pioneers in your project.

Though most of the ground they once covered can be had cheaper and iterated today.

Randomly ran across this video that shows a 460 in a 78-79 bronco rather well, same color scheme and all as mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ9eKhNT8pM

I might have room to keep the oil cooler possibly!! I will be keeping the factory exhaust manifold for sure, looks like finding the correct headers is not for those without deep pockets!