Bullnose Forums

460 Smog Delete and Oil Cooler Delete for a 78 Bronco Swap

Hi all,

I am moving a 460 from a 1986 Pickup into a 1978 Bronco. I will be creating a separate thread on this swap documenting all lessons learned, but i'm ordering supplies for this move.

First up is the smog delete and i am sure this has been discussed many times over, so forgive me. I have done this delete on a 351W so I should know but its been a long time.

1) Smog pump - easy. Non-serpentine. Just remove it and its belt

2) Cylinder head plugs - 43/64" expansion plugs. Napa doesn't carry the 0.66" plugs in Dallas, TX. Dorman 555-120 appears to be a good match, I will order that. (on the 351W these were threaded plugs)

3) Air injection tubes on the exhaust manifold - This is the part I don't remember on what I did in the past. I recall leaving those alone. Not too worried about cosmetics, but can I leave these tubes just the way they are, there is a one-way check valve which should be self-sealing right ? Else, is there a threaded plug that can plug these up on the 460 ? I have seen information that these are 3/8 inverted flare plugs that can seal each of these passages.

Thanks!!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have plugs in my exhaust manifold.

The 'spiders' interfered with my cast valve covers.

I'm sure I documented the p/n on here somewhere.

It was back around the same time I tried out that AVS 650.

Thanks! I'm hoping my local plumbing supply store would have a 3/8 inverted flare plug (if thats what it is) but if you have a part number, I would prefer to order them in bulk and have them ready to go. I am hoping to get rid of the "spider".... thats a cool name since there are 8 legs. It is going to be a tight fit on the 78 bronco so anything to free up some space.

Napa Part #: GAT G606910003 seems like a good fit

Thanks! I'm hoping my local plumbing supply store would have a 3/8 inverted flare plug (if thats what it is) but if you have a part number, I would prefer to order them in bulk and have them ready to go. I am hoping to get rid of the "spider".... thats a cool name since there are 8 legs. It is going to be a tight fit on the 78 bronco so anything to free up some space.

Napa Part #: GAT G606910003 seems like a good fit

The tubes are reverse flare, but each of them goes into a NPT fitting that is screwed into the manifold itself.

I have my DS manifold off and will get you pictures later today if you like.

I have participated in literally dozens of these desmog threads, both here (since the revolution) and over on FTE.

I know I bought a 10 pack of plugs, and the .666" Welsh plugs from NAPA.

if you have an oxy torch and want them both out just use a set of 1/4 NPT like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264272181312?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=264272181312&targetid=1645685073328&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=1014778&poi=&campaignid=20133407470&mkgroupid=147476396765&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073328&abcId=9312979&merchantid=138373313&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzoeuBhDqARIsAMdH14HcRlIcUKXAwOPcfMPmTS04JphaWdheInlrqqpqna99OrYzQ6LjJiYaAgaXEALw_wcB

Edit:

You might want to look at this thread too

Hi all,

I am moving a 460 from a 1986 Pickup into a 1978 Bronco. I will be creating a separate thread on this swap documenting all lessons learned, but i'm ordering supplies for this move.

First up is the smog delete and i am sure this has been discussed many times over, so forgive me. I have done this delete on a 351W so I should know but its been a long time.

2) Cylinder head plugs - 43/64" expansion plugs. Napa doesn't carry the 0.66" plugs in Dallas, TX. Dorman 555-120 appears to be a good match, I will order that. (on the 351W these were threaded plugs)

Thanks!!

5/8-11 x 1/2" long on the Windsors, but the 385's use a little crowsfoot looking clip to hold the flared tubes in place.

You can reuse these little clips to hold just about anything in there.

Squirt in a glob of red high temp RTV and clamp something.... anything, over it. 💡

One issue I think you'll have (but I don't have a 70's ford truck) is that you'll need to run a remote oil filter.

L&L make all kinds of stuff for this swap and JBG is pretty much the Go-To for this kind of thing.

Looking forward to the build! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Hi all,

Thanks!!

5/8-11 x 1/2" long on the Windsors, but the 385's use a little crowsfoot looking clip to hold the flared tubes in place.

Squirt in a glob of red high temp RTV and clamp something.... anything, over it. 💡

One issue I think you'll have (but I don't have a 70's ford truck) is that you'll need to run a remote oil filter.

L&L make all kinds of stuff for this swap and JBG is pretty much the Go-To for this kind of thing.

Hayden makes a good relocation kit, but I wouldn't trust my engine to the rubber hoses and clamps. I had "sure nuff" hydraulic hoses made for mine.

Hayden makes a good relocation kit, but I wouldn't trust my engine to the rubber hoses and clamps. I had "sure nuff" hydraulic hoses made for mine.

I posted a right angle filter adapter in Mats thread.

But I don't know how that fits exactly in a '70's Bronco.

I posted a right angle filter adapter in Mats thread.

But I don't know how that fits exactly in a '70's Bronco.

On the oil filter, I am able to go straight to the block with the 78 Subframe placement. The 78 subframe is about 6-8 inches further out than the bullnose subframe so the oil filter straight on the block will clear it.

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Really good idea on the high temp RTV with a block-off plate maybe :)

Didn't realize the flare bolted into a NPT fitting. Good to know!

On the oil filter, I am able to go straight to the block with the 78 Subframe placement. The 78 subframe is about 6-8 inches further out than the bullnose subframe so the oil filter straight on the block will clear it.

Cool!

Easy peasy. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I know very little about '70 Broncos other than mint ones are worth a fortune. 💸